Fears and back legs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Fears and back legs

Rogue doesn't like heights. Or certain surfaces. She doesn't like to use her back legs to get onto anything that freaks her out. She will "touch" it with front legs, but that is all. She can spin in a circle with rear legs and back up. She'll walk over the ladder bars. It's not helping. If I put her up on whatever object she's refusing to climb or jump up on to and praise and then release her for tug she almost always will attempt to go on it again on her own. I want to help her over come these issues. Do you have any exercises I can try for her confidence in heights and unstable/slippery surfaces?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Are you doing any perch work/rear end awareness...once she's comfortable in her body and knows that it works, her confidence may come up. I use canned cheese to get my dog up on a peanut/balancing/turning/ sitting/platzing. Get a livestock feeder and flip it upside down to do the perch work.
My dog feared a wobbleboard but after ramping him up while tugging and me banging it around while I was on it had him jumping on it and getting over his fear when it bounced/banged. His nails made noise on it too...which added to his sensitivity. Start small and work up, which it sounds like you are doing! You can see Karlo on the peanut in this thread:
Core conditioning training exercises
This is a fitpaws pillow which is way more than the livestock feeder, but works the same:
Old 02-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Fears and back legs

Love the canned cheese idea. We do rear end awareness and I have the feeder. She'll spin around it no problem but ill work on getting all fours on it and doing the other things. I need to get my husband to make me a wobble board.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.