5 months - still really small? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 5 months - still really small?

My GSD boy just turned 5 months, and he only weighs 42 lbs. He is pretty skinny and doesn't eat a lot. His parents are both pretty big, around 100 lbs. We used to feed him Acana, then switched to Now! because of the protein content. He didn't seem to like Now! so we are currently feeding him Performatrin Large Breed Puppy. We follow the guidelines in giving him 3-4 cups a day, but he doesn't always finish his food. He wasn't the runt of the litter either, so we are pretty confused. Perhaps he will get a growth spurt soon? Did anyone experience something like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't really have any advice to give. Except that my female GSD was on the smaller side til she hit 5 month's than she hit a huge growth spurt. I mean i look at picture's of when she was 4 months to 5 months and it's a huge diffrence.(She's almost 8 month's now) So, he could be getting ready to hit a growth spurt. All puppy's grow diffrently and I wouldn't worry about his weight or anything if he look's good and act's like a puppy

I should add she was the runt and so much smaller than her brother that a friend has, and now she is about as big as he is! But she is a pretty big GSD now lol

Dixie-Born 06-04-12
DixieGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGSD View Post
I don't really have any advice to give. Except that my female GSD was on the smaller side til she hit 5 month's than she hit a huge growth spurt. I mean i look at picture's of when she was 4 months to 5 months and it's a huge diffrence.(She's almost 8 month's now) So, he could be getting ready to hit a growth spurt. All puppy's grow diffrently and I wouldn't worry about his weight or anything if he look's good and act's like a puppy

I should add she was the runt and so much smaller than her brother that a friend has, and now she is about as big as he is! But she is a pretty big GSD now lol
That's true. I just came back from the vet and he told us not to worry as well. He still also has all his baby teeth, so many he hasn't hit his growth spurt yet
The vet was a little concerned with his thinness though, and he suspects it could be worms. So we got some medicine for it, and hopefully he will put on a little more weight soon!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If it is worms, and he kills all them suckers, you will be surprised how fast the growth is.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.