Is there a Height X Weight GSD growth chart? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is there a Height X Weight GSD growth chart?

Caesar, Black Shepherd Working Dog type, flat back, big rear hips standing over legs, is 12 weeks old tomorrow. I do not remember my other two Shepherds being this big at 12 weeks, but it has been 7-10 years sooooo.....

12 weeks tomorrow: He is 17" tall at the withers, best I can measure, and about 29 lbs. Is that normal GSD or oversized compared to AKC Show dog stuff???

Thanks in advance, lone Ranger in Australia
lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

My vet/breeder told me a safe estimate for adult weight is:
Weigh pup at 14 weeks. Multiply weight x 2 and add ten pounds. This is roughly what your pup will weigh when mature.

If that is the case, Odin should weigh 110 lbs.
Odin&Storm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yes, I agree. You've got yourself a nice big pup who will be a nice big dog. I should know. You'll get used to it gradually - when he hits the 100 lb. mark, you won't even notice it not until other people remark on his size. It is temperament that is important not the size. Enjoy!
Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Is there a Height X Weight GSD growth chart?

My sable gsd is 8.5 moths old and weight 82 pound hes akc register. The vet said that he would be around 120 is that to big and he's in perfect shape and a big baby lol Is there a Height X Weight GSD growth chart?-imageuploadedbypg-free1359082483.445298.jpgIs there a Height X Weight GSD growth chart?-imageuploadedbypg-free1359082515.608672.jpgIs there a Height X Weight GSD growth chart?-imageuploadedbypg-free1359082559.997379.jpgIs there a Height X Weight GSD growth chart?-imageuploadedbypg-free1359082577.135176.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Is there a Height X Weight GSD growth chart?-imageuploadedbypg-free1359082431.100998.jpg  
Raffilr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Yes, I agree. You've got yourself a nice big pup who will be a nice big dog. I should know. You'll get used to it gradually - when he hits the 100 lb. mark, you won't even notice it not until other people remark on his size. It is temperament that is important not the size. Enjoy!
Thank you Mary Beth, very kind comment... Yes, larger than Show Size was what I am looking for. I was wondering if there was a chart showing Weight X Height looking for a larger Dog.. He is my third Shepherd.

My Show Dog (did not know better) Alpha Male Dakota is 10 now and failing a bit. I am putting him on a Raw diet and he is improving but the damage is probably done.. I am not knocking Show Dogs, I just need a little stronger, large boned, flat back, and got unlucky with drop hip roached back Show Dog GSD traits.. I really need a herding working dog sort.. He is about 50 mm over Show AKC size. I need the larger dog size for intimidation value as somewhat of a PPD when I am on the road with horses, but also he might be called on to protecting calves and cattle from a pack of wild dogs or dingos... I would not risk him, but it could happen by accident, and again intimidation as in "Size Matters". In my experience it works with dogs to on many occassions, when they "size him up" they are a little hesitant to proceed. In 10 years, there has never been a fight that drew blood...

P.S. I'm not a real Cowboy, it is what I do for fun, raising/training/competing horses. But on a spooky night, waaaay out Bush, in a country where Interstate we cannot carry a gun as the penalties are too severe and you lose your license and all you guns... Size does matter... IMO>. Two dingos might try and take down a smaller Shepherd. Not likely to try on a big one..

Last edited by lone Ranger; 01-24-2013 at 10:14 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 01-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yes, I agree size is respected by animals and people. My Sting is 130 lbs. 32 inches high and friendly. He was the biggest (twice as big) in the litter but the friendliest. Someone told me, "of course, he is friendly - he's so big, he isn't afraid of anyone else". But for the work ethic, well, Sting reminds me of my Aussie who was oversize 85 lbs and was given to me because Chance's idea was that if given enough time the sheep would find their own way back to the barn. A rancher when he saw Chance who was a beautiful merle, and he looked at his young Aussie in the back of his pickup - just shuddered and told me, "mine better not get that big, I want a worker." A lady from Germany, who saw my Sting, said he was exactly like the GSD she grew up with on the farm. The dog was not used for herding, but was a guardian. But since you are not really wanting a serious herding dog, you'll have a delightful faithful naturally protective companion in your big GSD. I did a quick google search - I think if you enlarge these, you'll get the chart you want:

height weight chart german sheperds - Bing Images
Old 01-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Here is a height/weight chart for the German standard: German Shepherd Weight Chart and Height

Adult:
Quote:
German Shepherd Dog Height and Weight Standard
Males:

Height at the wither 60 cm to 65 cm (23.62 inches - 25.59 inches)
Weight 30 kg to 40 kg. (66.14 pounds - 88.18 pounds; Midrange = 77 pounds)
Females:

Height at the wither 55 cm to 60 cm (21.65 inches - 23.62 inches)
Weight 22 kg - 32 kg (48.5 pounds - 70.55 pounds; Midrange = 59.5 pounds)
(Length of torso exceeds height at the withers by 10 to 17%.)
If you scroll down on the first link it shows weight from 1 month to 12 months, but keep in mind that those are averages. Obviously, a puppy who will end up on the larger end of the standard as an adult, (or will be oversized) will be larger at other stages of development as well. And puppies don't all grow at the same rate either, so dogs who weigh the same as adults might not have weighed the same at 3 months or 6 months or 9 months or a year.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you both, he seemed large for his age, but then again I have not had a GSD puppy for 6-7 years, 10 for a male...

I do think he is smarter and more well mannered than any pup I have ever had. Further, a young steer got out, twice last week, and he exhibited natural herding instincts on a lead. Today was Australia Day, sort of 4th of July in America, and he spent the whole day socializing with kids and dogs in a crowd park setting.. Perfect behavior..

I really love this pup, never had one with that much personality, strong bones, flat back, big hips standing over his legs.. I think the Lord is Smiling down on me with this one. On the eve of his 12th week birthday, he is 17" on the wither and 14 kg. We will see. Bigger the better, as in defending my calves if he gets loose against dingos or wild dogs, size can end the fight before it starts... Hoping anyway. It has worked with Cody.. He is about 50mm taller than Show maximums for a Show dog, he bluffs well, and never had blood been drawn in 10 years.

Thanks again, from Australia
Old 01-26-2013, 05:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

i am glad someone has asked this question.my husband bakes 10 pounds of chicken every two days and feeds it to the dogs.we also have a pomchi and my daughters terrier so our sheppard (samson) gets 4 pounds and the other is split for the other dogs.we do not give them the bones.he also eats dry dog food and at the table when we eat we feed himsome of what we are eating but he is skinny looking.my husband is driving hisself nuts trying to put weight on samson.i do not want him to be heavy since sheppards are prone to have hip problems.i have a pic of him.does he look to skinny to yall.
Is there a Height X Weight GSD growth chart?-10-11-12-samson-delilah-2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Is there a Height X Weight GSD growth chart?-11-16-11-samson-14.jpg  
vixen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Vixen,
He looks just like Dakota, (Cody), a ten year old Show Dog. He does not have much meat cover over his hips, same colouring only Cody...

Yes, to me unless they have more cover over their hips, if you can see their ribs, then they are too thin. I cannot tell from the photo, but it looks like outline of the ribs. I would switch him over to a raw diet and see if he picks up... Cody at ten was dying on me, with a host of problems. I would swear now on this, the third week of his raw diet, that he is picking up and the bones of his hips are getting filled in a bit. The dry kibble is just not good for them. He seems to have stopped shedding so badly, ears and skin better, and he smells better.

You might give it a try.

Kind regards, lone Ranger in Australia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.