Quick Development Questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quick Development Questions

So far we've been pretty good with what we need to do. I was a dog handler in the military and always have had GSD throughout my upbringing. Given that someone else (my parents) were the ones raising them, and I just playing with the puppy, I may have missed a few details along the way. So here I am!

1) Crating - How long it too long?

My GF and I work all day. The puppy is pretty much in a oversized X-Large Kong Crate all day. We wake up around 630 let him out to do his business. We shower and get ready, and then feed Jaxon. He's in the crate from about 800am to 12 noon when my GF or I come home for an hour to take him out to play and pee, etc. and then back in the crate from 1pm to 530ish when one of us comes home. We absolutely hate to leave the little guy alone all day. Sometimes we will leave on classical music or the TV so he has some background music or something. He has lots and lots of toys, etc. during the day to stay busy. All in all, M-F he's in there about 8 hours. This I don't like.

2) Exercising - I have been taking him out in the mornings to do a little walk/run. I want to make sure he is well exercised. We only run for about 200 yards and then the rest walk. Is this OK on his new puppy legs at 14 weeks?

3) OMG!!!! Sharky McSharksAlot - I have had some bitey dogs, and he has done excellent on the bite inhibition training, but when this little guy wants to play, forget about it. He comes to the couch, chews my ankles, my calfs, and my hands, anything he can get. When I tell him "off" and push him down, he gets more agressive. Ignoring him is worse. When I do that he starts to eat my couch to get my attention. Haha. I keep giving him something else to play with, and divert his attention, but he's right back in 30 secs to bite on me again.

Other than this, we are happy campers!!!

What do you think?

Thanks!

Jaxon's Dad

ImJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Far as the biting is going, sounds normal for many of our pups, did you see.Puppy biting... Hints and tips to help

As far as crating, my dogs earn their way out. My GSDs seemed to be good out of their crates more at about 6 months, but my Lab was crated for well over a year before she was reliable to not get into trouble.

Proper Exercise for puppies has hints and tips for exercising a puppy.

:-)
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
Far as the biting is going, sounds normal for many of our pups, did you see.Puppy biting... Hints and tips to help

As far as crating, my dogs earn their way out. My GSDs seemed to be good out of their crates more at about 6 months, but my Lab was crated for well over a year before she was reliable to not get into trouble.

Proper Exercise for puppies has hints and tips for exercising a puppy.

:-)
Thank you for your input. I can't get enough!

Old 01-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
x11
Banned

can you build a kennel run? i am adverse to crating as a housing solution.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
I am definitely thinking about it. Only concerns I would have is dog napping since he's still just 14-15 weeks old and he would probably bark at the squirrels all day and irritate the neighbors.

At some point I want to give him the run of the house, but I don't trust him just yet.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Last night he bit my girlfriend really hard, punctured her skin in three places, and scared her pretty bad. She was playing with him. He got really excited, and then she was ready to quit and stopped responding to him bringing the ball. He wasn't having it and insisted several times via nips that he wanted to continue. I've never scruffed and submitted him, but my emotions got the best of me this time unfortunately. While he still had her hand in his mouth I leaped from the couch and yelled "No" and scruffed him. He whelped and wasn't happy about it. In hindsight, I feel bad that I did that. This particular bite was more an aggressive bite than an "I want to play" bite. He's just about 38-45 lbs now and 14 weeks roughly, so I'm concerned that if I don't show him that isn't acceptable with some force it will continue. When he is a 100 lb dog, which he's on track to be he will really hurt her.

What do you guys think of this?

Old 01-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
Can you give a reason for this? I'm curious, as most people I know realize the crate is priceless when it comes to keeping puppies accident free, house breaking, and teaching house manners. It's also used a quiet safe place to keep the puppy in during times when there is too much going on outside for the pup, etc... so I'm curious as to your reasoning.
ayoitzrimz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Looks like that user got banned for some reason.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Here's the little snoot laying by the pool today. It pains me to put him back in the crate for another 4 hours when I go to finish the last half of my work day.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Does anyone have an opinion on the crating question?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.