A normal day at the river [aka uncontrolled kids and off leash dogs] - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default A normal day at the river [aka uncontrolled kids and off leash dogs]

We went on a lovely walk through the woods today. Perfect temperature, great mood. We had not one, not two, but three off leash dogs run up to us (with signs posted everywhere requiring leashes).

First was a border collie mix. Sweet as could be. Perfect greeting! She was submissive and walked up to Rocky then put her head lower than his and waited for him to sniff her before she sniffed him. Then they both started wagging their tails and trying to play! The instant her owner called her, she went back to him. Awesome.

Second was a rottie. A pretty good greeting. The dog was a little too excited and had its nose in Rocky's crotch instantly, which he didn't like and put his tail between his legs. I grabbed the dogs collar and pulled it away and pet it while waiting for the owner. Then Rocky was able to sniff it without the dog in his face, and they both wagged tails and were friendly. Great.

Third was a pit/chocolate lab mix puppy. Had absolutely no manners, and was not trained at all. Ran up and jumped on Rocky. His response? He showed his teeth to the dog and stepped backwards. The owners are about 60 yards away, so I pull the puppy off Rocky and hold its collar while waiting for them. The woman's extremely obese son, probably about 10, sprints up screaming the dogs name, and scares the **** out of Rocky. I am proud of my actions --- I took a step between Rocky and the boy and yelled "STOP!". I think I scared the **** out of him LOL. I scolded him "Do not ever run up to someone else's dog. It could bite you! My dog is a rescue and you scared him". Well, the mother went physco and started screaming at me to not tell her kid what to do and not have my aggressive dog in public.......What??!! My dog that is hiding behind me because you fat kid ran up screaming at him? I simply walked away, then about 2 minutes later heard someone yelling as the dog ran up and jumped on their dog next.

(Everyone I know is athletic. I literally have no overweight friends or family members. Rocky is scared of fat people because he rarely encounters them. We try to find them at Petsmart to give him treats, but they aren't always there)

The first two socializations were great for Rocky (but the dogs should have been on leash)...but the third one really ticked me off, because when a dog runs up and jumps on him, from then on he hates for dogs to approach him.

Oh well. You can't fix stupid people. We will just have to work around these setbacks.

Last edited by x0emiroxy0x; 01-10-2013 at 05:46 PM.
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna

Where are you in Texas? My mom is in San Antonio. The next time I am there (jan. 20) I will meet him and give him treats. I am not scary at all, just bigger than normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

That wouldn't help But thank you. I said overweight to not be as harsh, but he is fine with "normal" people (Most of the US is overweight right now). He is scared of extremely large people, like XXXL. (My dad used to be and Rocky wouldn't go near him. Now my dad is down to a medium and they are good friends!)
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Where in Texas are you?? That looks like a beautiful place to take your pup! I am here in Ft Hood and there's not too much to do dog-wise.
sjackson310 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Are you sure your dog isn't just feeding off your energy? Some puppies have not learned proper social behavior and it sounds like your dog was behaving quite well by showing (not using) his teeth. When my first dog was a puppy, she was just soooo excited about life and playing with other dogs that she often approached them with too much energy. It didn't take long before she realized this is not appropriate...and now she is easily one of the most respectful and agreeable dogs at the park (or wherever).

Also, I find it telling that you mentioned the kid was "obese." Wouldn't it have been enough to say there was a crazy puppy and an even crazier kid? I seriously doubt your dog cares or notices peoples' weight. The story of your dad might be better explained by the fact that your dog has become more comfortable with dad because he had met him more than once??? You also mentioned that you "literally have no overweight friends or family members." Is that by design? Perhaps you are the one with a problem with overweight people, not your dog...he is simply responding to your energy.

+ 3 mares, a siamese/bengal girl, and a rosehair tarantula lady
GerMutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.