Introducting the bicycle. What age, how far? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Introducting the bicycle. What age, how far?

My other two use the bike to keep fit, and I wanted to introduce Storm to it soon as well. She could definitely use something to use as an outlet. However, I don't want to do anything to harm her bones or growth.

Over the past few months, I've taught her commands with the bike and to accept it being next to her. So we've got that down just fine.

I was wondering.... when should you start to introduce actual work outs with the bike? How far is safe?

Right now she's nearing 8 months old. My original thought, was 1 year and 1 mile to start.... I've heard of younger/older and longer/shorter, so I'm not 100% sure.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

i didn't bike with my dog. he was 1&1/2 yrs old when
reached the 5 mile, slow walk with breaks. i think i needed
the breaks more than him.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyShepherd View Post
My other two use the bike to keep fit, and I wanted to introduce Storm to it soon as well. She could definitely use something to use as an outlet. However, I don't want to do anything to harm her bones or growth.

Over the past few months, I've taught her commands with the bike and to accept it being next to her. So we've got that down just fine.

I was wondering.... when should you start to introduce actual work outs with the bike? How far is safe?

Right now she's nearing 8 months old. My original thought, was 1 year and 1 mile to start.... I've heard of younger/older and longer/shorter, so I'm not 100% sure.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
We started ours out at about 7-8 months. We used the 1 mile rule up til 18 months. We spoke with the vet about it and with some of the routes we would be using being asphalt, he thought it would be best to stick with one mile.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would wait till 1.5 years or older. AD for example has an age requirement of 16 months or older because joints are still developing. Good guide to get started: Sirius Dog
Do you have an attachment? I like the walky dog.
qbchottu is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
I would wait till 1.5 years or older. AD for example has an age requirement of 16 months or older because joints are still developing. Good guide to get started: Sirius Dog
Do you have an attachment? I like the walky dog.
Thank you! That's where I would feel safe. Especially because our area is mostly asphalt, with the occasional grass strip. I don't want to harm her.

And no attachments here, I just use a 6ft leash and their prong. I like the attachments, but with everything going on around me, I like to have them pretty close when I need it. Lots of stupid dog owners here, and people that don't watch where they are driving. Having the leash makes me feel safe. I teach a lot of obedience with the bike, which the dogs have to be solid on before I actually take them out of our driveway. Other then my one hand being tied up, it's usually a very peaceful ride with them. Eventually, when we actually live further out of town and have some room, I'll probably get an attachment for the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
We started ours out at about 7-8 months. We used the 1 mile rule up til 18 months. We spoke with the vet about it and with some of the routes we would be using being asphalt, he thought it would be best to stick with one mile.
Most of our route is asphalt as well. There's no fields to ride in here, and I don't have the time option to drive out to a trail (which are all really far from here). This is why I was wanting to wait so long.... figured that wouldn't be good for her growing bones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
i didn't bike with my dog. he was 1&1/2 yrs old when
reached the 5 mile, slow walk with breaks. i think i needed
the breaks more than him.
Lol!

Yeah, my dogs can out walk me! The bike however, I can do both of the older ones and still able to walk with the little one (and not be dead tired). It's definitely an advantage for shaving some time to their workouts. I love my bike! But, I still enjoy a good walk with them though.... very relaxing!
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.