My dog doesn't fight back - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #61 (permalink)
Elite Member

There are some dogs at dog parks who give of energy that causes other dogs to pick on them--esp. around 1 year old. My male, when he was young and insecure, was like that. Once he was lying on the ground in the shade by himself catching a breather from play when a random dog pounced on him with ill intentions. I immediately pulled that dog up by the scruff and sent it on its way with its mortified owner. I carefully policed interactions in the dog park. If bad dogs arrive--and you can feel the energy of the park change--we leave. If there are dogs who are minor annoyances, we stay on the opposite end of the park and avoid them -- going with friends with stable dogs makes this easy.

My dog's energy changed as matured. He grew up to be gregarious, sociable and enjoys dog parks and play care -- he wasn't damaged. He grew out of being targeted as he got more confident and bigger. He's not FA or DA. However, we monitored interactions at parks closely, shooed away or avoided nasty dogs, planned play sessions with friends at the park, and paid for a lot of supervised play care with carefully chosen, temperament tested dogs that he got to know well. We also built his confidence up through obedience training.

He's a great pacifist -- never been in a true fight in his life, and he'll try hard to avoid from dogs that are aggressive--he's naturally pretty submissive. However, when an off-leash ankle biter ran from it's owner and lunged at my leg on when were out walking on a sidewalk, he surprised me by jumping between me and that dog, pinning it with a paw, and putting his jaws over its head to hold it--without biting down. It happened in the blink of an eye before I even had time to react. But then he paused, and he looked at me and asked with his eyes, "Um, what do I do now?" He released the terrified nasty dog with a "leave it" command--because he trust me.

I'm going to repeat what I've said several times one last time: protect your dog at the dog park, not just physically, but also in terms of the company it keeps. Mine grew up fine with other dogs because I did that. I tried to be very thoughtful about the kinds of dogs I wanted mine interacting with, and created opportunities for that to happen. Stable, sociable dogs teach younger dogs to be stable and sociable. Unstable, nasty dogs teach younger dogs to be unstable and nasty. It's that simple.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 12:08 PM   #62 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Stable, sociable dogs teach younger dogs to be stable and sociable. Unstable, nasty dogs teach younger dogs to be unstable and nasty. It's that simple.
Worth repeating!

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #63 (permalink)
Elite Member

the op dog is not weak it is 8 months old they dont know what the dog will turn out like when it is older. A dog can seem weak at that age then turn into a monster when it matures be careful what you wish for seriously. I have seen a dog i thought was a submissive push over turn into a very dominant dog when it matured. It was still a social dog but if another dog pissed it off it turned dangerous. You have no idea what your dog will be like cause it needs a few years to mature. You are suppose to protect it from now and keep it out of places like that.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #64 (permalink)
Elite Member

ALso you are going to ruin your dogs future because when shes mature she will be so so on guard it might not be safe to take her around any dogs anymore. At this time all her experiences are suppose to be positive.

Yeah i have seen what magwart talks about insecure dogs seem to get targeted I dont know why but my dog will sometimes look at a dog and just not like them for no reason I suspect they insecure or something else I really dont know but later if i talk to the owner there is something the owner has trouble with that dog like one dog for example would try to bite the owner around its food etc.. I am not sure why but my dog picks up certain vibes from other dogs. I am sure if she was a young dog maybe other dogs would have picked up from her? but when she was young she was only allowed to meet her family never strange dogs.

Mine doesnt ever actually attack an insecure dog or anything just kinda points them out.

Last edited by pets4life; 12-31-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #65 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
I'm going to repeat what I've said several times one last time: protect your dog at the dog park, not just physically, but also in terms of the company it keeps. Mine grew up fine with other dogs because I did that. I tried to be very thoughtful about the kinds of dogs I wanted mine interacting with, and created opportunities for that to happen. Stable, sociable dogs teach younger dogs to be stable and sociable. Unstable, nasty dogs teach younger dogs to be unstable and nasty. It's that simple.
This is how I keep WD safe and social. He has never been in a fight or even close to it because I protect him and trust my gut feeling, not the other owners who tell me that his/her dog "is OK". I don't care if I offend the other owner.
The "leave it" command has been a life saver on many occasions.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #66 (permalink)

You have gotten some great advice here. Yes, it is too bad to 'ruin your dogs fun' because of a few idiots. It is what it is. You can not control the idiots that go to that dog park, you can't control other people. You can have control over your dogs interactions with other dogs by the choices you make for her.

Getting a good trainer or behaviorist is a great idea, they not only work with the dog, an important part of their job is to teach the human. A good group obediance class may do wonders for both you and your dog.

I also recommend you read and learn as much as you can about dog behavior. Some authors I like are Stanley Coren, Patricia McDonnell and Turid Rugass.

Your dog is a puppy and the interactions with other dogs at this time need to be positive, I'd not take any chances for your dog to have problems with other dogs, as others have said you may end up with a mess when he/she is an adult. It may appear the small dogs that 'bite' her are of no consequence and 'do not harm' your dog, if nothing else it can be very stressful for her and bites can brusie and hurt! If she has never been 'attacked' at this dog park, that still doesn't mean it won't happen, it only takes once.......

Learn as much as you can about dog behavior/communication from trainers/behaviorists and/or reading books about dog behavior/dog communication.

Last edited by GSD2; 12-31-2012 at 01:30 PM.
GSD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #67 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Another issue is what do you consider a dog park? The only problem dog park in our area is the one that is fenced. I think it changes dogs' and people's behavior. In the open parks, people tend to walk which I think prevents dogs from setting up a territory like they do in the fenced park where people sit on benches and talk without watching their dogs. This fenced park is "ruled" by an incrowd of owners with dogs that are not under control. That's why they go to the fenced park I guess. If you see a problem dog entering the park, you cannot leave without encountering that dog since there is only one entrance/exit. It is an interesting concept and worth studying more indepth.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #68 (permalink)
Banned

If it is not fenced, can it be a dog park? I would think it would just be a field in that case.

Unless maybe the county or other authority just lets dogs be off leash in that field?
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #69 (permalink)
Elite Member

I just went through this all how come no one even said a 8 month old gsd will get creamed if it did dare defend itself with a serious adult dog like another gsd?? Imagine what would happen to it? The only thing to do for a pup this young is to get submissive.

Did you guys notice a lot of dogs after a year get sick of going into the submissive position and that is when other dogs start to leave them alone.

Last edited by pets4life; 12-31-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #70 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
I just went through this all how come no one even said a 8 month old gsd will get creamed if it did dare defend itself with a serious adult dog like another gsd?? Imagine what would happen to it? The only thing to do for a pup this young is to get submissive.
Might want to read the thread before commenting - a number of posters, myself included made much reference to the fact that the OP dog was a puppy.

BTW, I and probably others, have had dogs that at 8/9 mo WOULD fight back even against an adult (they would get eaten!) but they would try to defend themselves.

Not to say you want them to do so, but that was in their temperament and genetics!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.