My dog doesn't fight back - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 01:25 AM   #51 (permalink)

Mine is the same, she will always back down if a dog gets a bit aggressive towards her. I actually prefer it that way because things don't blow out of control before I get in there.

From my experience it's an age thing, my previous dogs were the same but at 12-18 months old they'd start standing up for themselves.

I know people here are anti dog parks but personally I think they are fantastic. I tend to go at the same times so there are always a group of dogs (and owners) we know. Occasionally you get a dog that shouldn't be there but 99% of dogs and owners are great. I have almost as much chance of bumping into agro dogs on the street while doing a leashed walk as i do while at the park so i keep going.

My dog absolutely loves it there and it's one of the few places i can let her off lead, so i think it's worth it.

Matter of fact i just started taking my 16 week old male up with us a couple of days ago.

There are a couple of dogs that shouldn't go to the park and tend to have a go at my female but i know them so leave if i see them turn up. I don't see them too often though because they're not the friendliest dogs so their owner usually goes at less busy times. Funnily enough the 2 dogs i've had most problems with are female GSDs.
Ziltoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 01:32 AM   #52 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
If she's actually been attacked, she may be afraid -- which is pretty natural. You must keep her from getting attacked or you could end up with a neurotic dog. Avoid dogs who are starting fight by leaving, if necessary. A puppy shouldn't have to worry about "defending" itself at a dog park--that's your job.

By the way, if she's avoiding aggressive, unstable or dominant dogs who might want to attack her, rather than fighting with them, that's a good thing. If she's trusting you to keep her safe, even better! If you ever see an actual fight in a dog park, you'll thank your lucky stars your dog wants no part in one -- a dog died in our local dog park that way. You do not want her to respond to dominance challenges by fighting back.
Actually, if my dog wasn't a little puppy, that is exactly what i would want - to at least try to defend her/himself!

I would never let it get that far of course; but i wouldn't my dog to try to hide behind me. that is not the GSD temperament at all.

Little pups are different of course but as they get toward adult hood the dog should be willing to defend itself!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 01:35 AM   #53 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary1990 View Post
You should make her feel safe, make her feel like you got her back!! and when shes fully confident you wont let anyone hurt her im sure if the time came she would protect you against anyone!

Not if she won't protect herself!

In the OP case I would not take an obviously weak dog (or too much of a puppy with older dogs) to the dog park at all. Asking for trouble sooner or later.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:47 AM   #54 (permalink)
Banned

Some people also don't fight back when attacked (called pacifists), nothinhg wrong with that as long as they are aware of what their actions are. OTOH, sometimes it is better to retreat if there are overwhelming forces raised against you. But sometimes you (or your dog) are going to get beaten up or worse anyway so why not give it your (or your dogs) best shot - at least inflict a little harm in self defense?

just a thought!

Another thought - what would anyone think of an adult GSD who sttod by or ran away if their owner were being attacked?

or what would we think of an owner who didn't try their best to help their dog if he/she were to be attacked by another dog (or person)?

Seems to me it is a 2 way street and i would certainly expect my dog to do it's part.

BTW, i once had a 9mo male GSD who was quite spirited and effective in defense when I was jumped by a couple of folks a LONG time ago at a dump where I was dropping some junk off. He got a number of pretty good bites in before the two decided it was better for them to leave. We made quite a team!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:48 AM   #55 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziltoid View Post
Mine is the same, she will always back down if a dog gets a bit aggressive towards her. I actually prefer it that way because things don't blow out of control before I get in there.

From my experience it's an age thing, my previous dogs were the same but at 12-18 months old they'd start standing up for themselves.

I know people here are anti dog parks but personally I think they are fantastic. I tend to go at the same times so there are always a group of dogs (and owners) we know. Occasionally you get a dog that shouldn't be there but 99% of dogs and owners are great. I have almost as much chance of bumping into agro dogs on the street while doing a leashed walk as i do while at the park so i keep going.

My dog absolutely loves it there and it's one of the few places i can let her off lead, so i think it's worth it.

Matter of fact i just started taking my 16 week old male up with us a couple of days ago.

There are a couple of dogs that shouldn't go to the park and tend to have a go at my female but i know them so leave if i see them turn up. I don't see them too often though because they're not the friendliest dogs so their owner usually goes at less busy times. Funnily enough the 2 dogs i've had most problems with are female GSDs.

thats exactely what Im saying.. the youngsters are the scared ones, and the pups have so much fun at the park I just don't want to take it away from her just because of other idiot dogs.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 02:39 AM   #56 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Yeah, I can totally see your point. I'm sure your dog has a BLAST at the dog park! She's only been attacked a few times. I'm sure she's putting out a nervous energy when she goes now, which is like a target on her back for older, more aggressive dogs. You probably won't have to wait too much longer for her to stop being "weak" though. One of these days she'll probably turn that fear and bad experiences into DA. I'd get medical insurance on her now, and start a savings account to pay for the other dogs' medical expenses. She'll start "protecting herself" against every dog she sees. Better to take them out before they could come after her. Hopefully she won't get hold of a small dog and kill it, because they will probably sue you and demand that your 'aggressive' dog be put down. But hey, she was having such a good time at the dog park, and at least she stopped being 'weak', right?
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 03:12 AM   #57 (permalink)
Master Member

She loves small dogs and she has pet insurance and she does have fun thank you for your suggestions Jag Happy New Year

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 03:34 AM   #58 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
thats exactely what Im saying.. the youngsters are the scared ones, and the pups have so much fun at the park I just don't want to take it away from her just because of other idiot dogs.
If you are sure that those "idiot dogs" are no threat to your dog, then I would say just enjoy your time at the dog park!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:53 AM   #59 (permalink)

Smart dogs know when to be aggressive and they use it sparingly. I had a collie cross mutt many years ago who could seem almost timid, certainly indifferent to people and dogs he didn't know. But one day he was in our yard bouncing around with the neighbor's two smaller dogs (his pals) and this guy walks by with a big German Shepherd unleashed. The shepherd suddenly turned and rushed our neighbor's dog and snapped at it, scaring it badly. The guy called his shepherd back(through much bellowing) and the dog went reluctantly, looking for more trouble. My dog Noah suddenly, silently took off like a shot and bowled the big shepherd over into a muddy ditch! The shepherd started screaming like he was shot, lol. Big bully. Noah came back when I said his name and stood there watching the guy fish his muddy dog back onto the road. So you see, a dog who backs down from most fights may well NOT back down when he perceives it as NECESSARY to protect someone.

This same dog knew exactly where our property line was and, if the kids were outside playing and grown men walked by on the road he would go out and pace alongside the men just four feet inside our property line staring at them. When a guy asked if he would bite, I said "Not if you stay on the road, but he probably will if you approach the kids." I didn't teach him to do this. He just picked the proper moments to be protective and I allowed that.

Let your dog grow up and you might be surprised at how good a dog can be at deciding when a fight isn't worth it and when a bit of posturing or even mild aggression is necessary. You have to let them get past being a teenager dog, though!
Muneraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 04:19 AM   #60 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muneraven View Post
Smart dogs know when to be aggressive and they use it sparingly. I had a collie cross mutt many years ago who could seem almost timid, certainly indifferent to people and dogs he didn't know. But one day he was in our yard bouncing around with the neighbor's two smaller dogs (his pals) and this guy walks by with a big German Shepherd unleashed. The shepherd suddenly turned and rushed our neighbor's dog and snapped at it, scaring it badly. The guy called his shepherd back(through much bellowing) and the dog went reluctantly, looking for more trouble. My dog Noah suddenly, silently took off like a shot and bowled the big shepherd over into a muddy ditch! The shepherd started screaming like he was shot, lol. Big bully. Noah came back when I said his name and stood there watching the guy fish his muddy dog back onto the road. So you see, a dog who backs down from most fights may well NOT back down when he perceives it as NECESSARY to protect someone.

This same dog knew exactly where our property line was and, if the kids were outside playing and grown men walked by on the road he would go out and pace alongside the men just four feet inside our property line staring at them. When a guy asked if he would bite, I said "Not if you stay on the road, but he probably will if you approach the kids." I didn't teach him to do this. He just picked the proper moments to be protective and I allowed that.

Let your dog grow up and you might be surprised at how good a dog can be at deciding when a fight isn't worth it and when a bit of posturing or even mild aggression is necessary. You have to let them get past being a teenager dog, though!

What a bully that GSD was and evidently a real coward as well. And your dog was hero - like Lassie!

But why would he bite someone for just walking near the kids - that sure doesn't sound like the Lassie i knew. How close would he let the four grown men get to the kids before he would bite all of the men?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.