German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Development & Socialization (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/)
-   -   female with pup, approachable? (people won't approach me :( ) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/197167-female-pup-approachable-people-wont-approach-me.html)

jessac 12-27-2012 11:12 PM

female with pup, approachable? (people won't approach me :( )

I'm a petite woman in my late 20s and I've noticed that when my hubs and I are out together with our pup, lots of people stop to chat, comment on him, pet him, etc. When I'm out alone, almost no one approaches. We've gone to Lowe's together and I've gone myself and the reactions were night and day. Each time we had the pup in the cart. Do you think a couple is more approachable than a female that's alone? My husband thought maybe since more men approached us when we were together that maybe they were uncomfortable approaching a female out alone. Men, would you approach a woman and her dog in a store? Women, have you noticed anything similar? I'd certainly love if when I took him out he "met" more people although I know there is still value in him just observing while it's just me and the pup, even if no one approaches.

Finnick<3 12-27-2012 11:56 PM

That's the complete opposite of my experience. Consistently I am getting the stink eye from women because their man wants to meet my boy and ask a million questions about him. If they only knew, I only have eyes for Finn :wub:

Mooch 12-31-2012 03:17 AM

My guess is most guys would avoid coming up to you in case you thought they were being "creepy"

KZoppa 12-31-2012 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch (Post 2667852)
My guess is most guys would avoid coming up to you in case you thought they were being "creepy"

I partly agree with this. lol

OffgridAlex 12-31-2012 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch (Post 2667852)

I think that is probably true,

I Think most guys are wary of approaching women anyhow and having such a magnificent companion probably makes you less approachable.

wink-_-wink 12-31-2012 06:00 AM

I would ABSOLUTELY approach you. If I see a GSD of any age, and the owner isn't looking in a rush I will make it a point to go over and say a few words see if I may pet and compliment the pup!

Dotty 12-31-2012 09:29 AM

I was at the local mountain waiting alone with our two GSDs, for my husband, they were laying down, but watching everything. No one came NEAR me, one woman yelled across and asked if they were mountain patrol dogs!

I am the farthest thing from approachable now, my dogs look sinister.

Mrs.K 12-31-2012 09:45 AM

I'm not exactly understanding the issue. Why is it a problem not being approached?

Kyleigh 12-31-2012 10:00 AM

Why is the dog in the cart? I wouldn't ever approach someone who has a dog in a cart - male or female. I would approach anyone if the dog was walking beside them (and the dog looked friendly, and the people appeared approachable).

I've had the exact opposite - when Ky was a puppy EVERYONE wanted to see her!

jessac 12-31-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyleigh (Post 2667935)
Why is the dog in the cart? I wouldn't ever approach someone who has a dog in a cart - male or female. I would approach anyone if the dog was walking beside them (and the dog looked friendly, and the people appeared approachable).

I've had the exact opposite - when Ky was a puppy EVERYONE wanted to see her!

Guess I didn't mention, he is still not fully vaccinated. We try to take him out as much as we can, but live in a city that has a real parvo problem and I know even though it's a hardware store and not a pet store, lots of folks take their dogs there, so we're not comfortable letting him walk around yet. Once he's got all his shots we'll take him out and let him walk on a leash, of course, just taking precautions until then.