female with pup, approachable? (people won't approach me :( ) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
I'm not exactly understanding the issue. Why is it a problem not being approached?
Not a huge deal, like I said, I know there is still value in taking him out even if no one comes up to us. I just found it odd that it's so different between when its just me vs my hubs and i. And I do like when he "meets" people because we are new to our town and our pool of friends is fairly small.
jessac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ahh, I understand the cart thing now! I had visions of this huge shepherd in a cart LOL ... not some cute puppy!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
Ahh, I understand the cart thing now! I had visions of this huge shepherd in a cart LOL ... not some cute puppy!!!
That certainly would be an awkward scene...and a very embarrassed dog I'm sure lol
Old 12-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You do realize that anything / anyone can carry the Parvo virus on it / them?
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

well I'm not a guy Do you find more women approach when your husband's with you or more men? Just wondering..

I would approach a woman alone with a gsd puppy, can't resist a puppy..When mine were puppies, I did find woman more than men would approach..maybe it's as one said, men feel it would creep you out?

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
well I'm not a guy Do you find more women approach when your husband's with you or more men? Just wondering..

I would approach a woman alone with a gsd puppy, can't resist a puppy..When mine were puppies, I did find woman more than men would approach..maybe it's as one said, men feel it would creep you out?
Yeah, mostly men, but we are in a hardware store, so maybe it will change once we can take him more places.

And I realize parvo is everywhere. I know I can't eliminate the risk, but we try and minimize the risk by not having him lick/sniff/walk where we KNOW other dogs have been while still getting him out and about until his shots are done.

That said, we live in an area that's particularly bad because we have warm, dry weather. It never gets cold enough to freeze and the ground never saturates with water. I've heard from news reports/vets/online that in this climate/area it can live quite a long time compared to NE climates (that I was used to). Couple that with the bad economy/foreclosures = lots of abandoned dogs, people not keeping vaccines updated, it's just a better safe than sorry situation.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

I get a lot of women that want to really come and pet her. Some guys do too but its more of a "nice dog" and keep it moving. From a males perspective, I dont just walk up and talk to women with dogs either.
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #18 (permalink)

I have a habit of going up and speaking to puppy/dog owners and have found that some of the attractive women on their own seem to jump to the conclusion that you're only there in an attempt to hit on them... so if they're not interested, can be a bit stand-offish.

Generally if you approach a couple, a male or slightly older owners they don't go into defense mode and will happily talk about their puppy.

Maybe you're just seeing the result of men having similar experiences to me.
Ziltoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

I think because maybe they feel that you can't control the dog in case it reacts, don't forget that some people are scared of german shepherds and in the man is handeling the dog he is much stronger and has better control, thats my theory I also have the opposite problem when I am with my dog EVERYONE tries come and pet her especially men which always makes me nervous I wish men would just keep walking, they freak me out,(if im alone and secluded area) not all men but a lot of men.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

People often approach me if I am at a store with my dog, but when we are out walking or hiking we are rarely approached. I am also a petite female, early 20s with a big black (beautiful!) dog. That said, when strangers do approach me when I am walking alone I am sometimes very rude to them. I just don't like people getting close enough to grab me or something so I will say a quick 'hi' or 'thanks' but I don't stop to chat with strangers.
spidermilk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.