Puppy Biting - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy Biting

So our little Fritzie is 14 weeks now and she loves to chew on us. In the week we've had her, she's been doing SO much better about mouthing us softly. But, she still does grab a hand unexpectedly and nip. The problem is that I'm nervous to really start socializing her. If people ask to pet her do I say no, or "watch out, she bites"?

Im not so much worried about the nipping because I know she's getting better and it will eventually stop. I just don't know if I should be letting her interact with strangers. Maybe I should limit it to just adults, as they should be able to understand the puppy phase?
Fephie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Best thing is to find a puppy class, cause everyone else's puppy is biting too

My puppy's don't tend to immediately want to bite and play with everyone new they meet. So it's not near the problem with new people as with me.

What I also do when out is about is carry a ziplock bag full of teeny treats that I hand out to everyone. I ask if people will help with my pup, place the treat in their hand and tend to ask them to put the treat in their open hand (like feeding a horse). Makes them come in low to the puppy's head so pup won't want to jump up, and the open hand with treat in the middle get the treat licked out and not nipped up.

So you may want to start with meetings like that!
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, that's really helpful! I'll start having people greet her that way. We took her out in public for the first time today and it turned out to be a non issue. She was just the sweetest thing to everyone who wanted to meet her. Guess Im just a worrier.
Fephie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

When Maya would bite we would grab her by her upper snout with our hand so her upper lip would be in her mouth and she would bite her own lip. So she would assosiate biting with pain. It ended pretty soon after doing that. I herd other people would freeze a stick of butter and put it on there hands so the puppy would lick there hands and assosiate hands with something positive.

Also make sure to have soft rubber toys as well as med. and hard toys to bite on. Another thing to try is take one of those rope toys and soak it in water and then freeze it and then give it to the puppy. They love it.
gotahaveaGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.