German Shepherds Forum banner

Is my dog a sable or black and red/tan?

25K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  volcano 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought him as a black and tan, his parents both are red/tan with rich dark colours, but he started to develop grey coat along the top of his back but the saddles are still black, I am hoping he doesn't lose the black/red and tan colouring.

I have seen lots of black and tans with the 'stripe' of grey along the back, he is 6 months old at the time of the photo.
There is nothing wrong with Sables but I bought him as a black and tan because that's what I wanted, I think he will be a black and red with lots of grey through the neck and along the back.

Attachments

See less See more
#14 ·
" his parents both are red/tan with rich dark colours, but he started to develop grey coat along the top of his back but the saddles are still black, I am hoping he doesn't lose the black/red and tan colouring"

-- genetically impossible to be a sable then. Looks like west German Show lines -- he'll loose the black if anything . He looks like a well built , contented dog . don't worry about the colour.

#17 · (Edited)
I hope he doesn't lose too much of his black on the face and saddles.

These are Buster's parents:
Esko Aus Dem Haus Zygadto (Father)
Sheprose your special Ruby (Mother)

The parents are both magnificent fine looking dogs, I looked for a long time before deciding to buy from this kennel!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.