Six months and growling at passerby's - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Six months and growling at passerby's

Well I was at the bus stop with Jack my GSD waiting for the kids to get dropped when I saw his ears and body get stiff. Two blocks away someone was walking towards us and he started to growl. Once the guy got to about 30ft he was barking and trying to lunge at him. Is that a sign that my pup needs better socialization with people or is that just typical GSD behavior? I take him to the pet stores and for walks so its not like he doesn't see people. Any ideas on how to stop that?

Thanks
Justaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Hes at the age our pups are maturing and start up with different peculiar behaviors without the real life experience to know what they are doing.

This is why many of us start up with the group dog classes when our dogs are 6 m old. So much easier for everyone to get the guidance a skills on how to work with our pup at the same time they need it the most and in the group environment to have the built in safe socialization opportunity.

If its just happened the once, its not a big deal, just proves our puppies are changing and growing. That said, its not acceptable and I know I would have just turned my pup away from whatever was setting them off and work on my attention/focus and eye contact training. I use the zip lock baggie of treats I never leave the house without when I have a puppy, plus the clicker. I don't correct and punish my puppy for the inappropriate and confused growling but instead start up a fun and fast w/tons of treats focus on ME training you beautiful pup!

:-)
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 12-18-2012 at 07:59 PM.
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

trainer, training and socializing.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I agree with a training class. I'd also up the socialization. Your pup should not only be paying attention to you, but reading your body language before posturing in this way. Making it clear what is normal and what isn't should help the pup's changing brain to process a threat from a non-threat. Re-directing is good... if the pup were to continue this, I'd give an "ah-ah" which is my verbal 'correction'.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm doing training now with a personal trainer at the house. Problem is I work most of the time and my wife don't drive which is why we're not doing the group puppy classes. He responds very well with the basic obedience training when he's on the leash. Yesterday was a surprise but my fault I guess. Should of had treats with me to get his mind off the guy like the poster posted. Definitely needs more socializing so I'm going to have to figure something out.
Justaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

My GSD is 6 months and is doing that. If we are walking I don't stop or look at the person who is close to us. If I actually want to correct him I will stop, have him sit and be quiet. If he growls I give him a growl back with some good eye contact. He doesn't lunge, just growls which I assume is because he is still young. And it doesn't help when the person who is walking toward us just keeps making eye contact with my GSD.
Rodimus80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Rodimus80, before this happens redirect your pups attention right back to you with a high value toy or treats. Be proactive. Don't let him focus on people to the point of growling/ reacting. When he looks at you mark it and reward him. I'd keep up the same pace, not break the rhythm.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaguy View Post
Once the guy got to about 30ft he was barking and trying to lunge at him.
Has he ever done this to other strangers?
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Rodimus80, before this happens redirect your pups attention right back to you with a high value toy or treats. Be proactive. Don't let him focus on people to the point of growling/ reacting. When he looks at you mark it and reward him. I'd keep up the same pace, not break the rhythm.
I'll give your suggestion a shot today!
Rodimus80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.