We've Reached the Turning Point! (anyone else get angry/frustrated w/puppy?) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default We've Reached the Turning Point! (anyone else get angry/frustrated w/puppy?)

Gabe is 9 months old now, and has lived with me for the past 7 months.

He is my first GSD, my first large dog, and the first dog that I have owned (i.e. not my mother's dog).

The first couple weeks, he was so cute I could just eat him up.

The next several months, I spent on the edge of tears, wondering how I could have gotten so in over my head.

From about six months on, I got used to him. We fell into a routine, and it was...okay.

I didn't realize until now how I had just gotten used to being annoyed/frustrated with him. I loved him, but he was a constant pest.

Now, we've finally reached the point where I actually ENJOY him. I didn't even know I was waiting for anything, but now that it's happened, I feel so relieved. It seems like he's finally learned to behave and what I expect of him. I am so happy, and, it seems to me, he's much happier too.

Also, is this just me? Has anyone else had a similar experience with puppies, or am I just awful for not liking my puppy as much when he was younger?

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 12-10-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have felt the same way. My Bear was, well... a bear of a puppy. He was probably the longest living landshark puppy and he still at 1 tries to pull shanagans with me.

I do feel as of late that Bear has matured (kind of?) and he's much more enjoyable to be with. He was definitely the hardest puppy to bring up.

In the end it is totally worth it and I feel us bonding (instead of battling) more every day

Glad you're getting there with Gabe!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oh you're not alone LOL ... And I'm not stranger to dogs at all ... GSDs are ... HMMM, ... how shall we say it ... ok, they're different !! LMAO

There's a thread in here called ... when did you bond with your dog ...

In that thread, there are a number of people who bonded instantly ... then there's some, like me, who didn't feel that "bond" for a while ...

I think you should read that thread LOL ... it will make you feel much better!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I did go and read that thread. It seems like the overwhelming majority bonded with their puppies instantly, and if you asked me the day I brought Gabe home, I would have said that I had, too.

...But not really. I was infatuated with him at first because he was a precious little puppy, but having been through the whole thing now, I know better.

...Also, I'm quite relieved I'm not the only one that took awhile to develop a real bond with my dog. I don't feel as guilty now.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitsisqua View Post

Gabe is 9 months old now, and has lived with me for the past 7 months.

He is my first GSD, my first large dog, and the first dog that I have owned (i.e. not my mother's dog).

The first couple weeks, he was so cute I could just eat him up.

The next several months, I spent on the edge of tears, wondering how I could have gotten so in over my head.
THIS. We rescued Remy at 6 weeks, and went through major ups & downs with illnesses- to the point where we weren't even sure if she would make it through. Once she did, I was so happy, and then she got healthier and healthier and crazier and crazier. I am still at your point of wondering how I have gotten so over my head, but with training being started, I am starting to notice big differences!

You're not alone in how you felt! Just gotta keep on keepin' on
lkellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I think raising a puppy is really hard work. It's why I only get 1 puppy at a time and then have a 5yr split until adding the next! Also why I do not recommend a GSD puppy for most people.

Fact is you need to be commended for sticking with it and working thru puppy hood. The shelters and rescues are full of dogs who's owners became overwhelmed and gave up.

:-)
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
I think raising a puppy is really hard work. It's why I only get 1 puppy at a time and then have a 5yr split until adding the next! Also why I do not recommend a GSD puppy for most people.
That is because it takes 5 years to convince yourself that it really wasn't all that bad. And 5 years for the scars to fade....
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

This is how I felt about our rottie. He was a mess. He IS stubborn, and even more wheb he was a pup. He was brought in for my husband who was totally infatuated with him, but of course, my husband is always gone for work and I was the one to care for him. Train him. along with all my other wife/mother/housekeeper duties! I would get so frustrated with him, that put of compulsion I created a Craigslist ad!!! Lol of course i deleted it a few hours later, but still. He was so stubborn and clumsy, and always at the WRONG time! (Babies were crying. Trying to cook, knock over our toddler. Making him cry etc)
Now that he has reached his 1st bday. Neutered and calmed down, he is a great dog. Still doesnt listen (which i will take the blame for not teaching him as well) he has become an all around good boy. He's protective, loving lap dog (at 105lbs) and a gorgeous lad. I'm so happy we stuck it out with him!
And I have full confidence that y'all's relationship will continue to "blossom"

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
TFleahman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What part of a dog's existence is the worst is different depending on the person, save of course the part at the very end when you need to make the toughest decision.

Some people find house-training, puppy basic, puppy biting the worst. Others find the adolescent stage, where the dog seems to go from well-adjusted halfway decent pup to holy terror.

I only half joke that with continual patience and training, your dog will be perfect in another nine years.

Others say that puppies are so darn cute because if they were not we would kill them.

And every dog is different. Sometimes you click with a pup right away and you never look back. Sometimes it sneaks up on you. My sister says that it happens when we realize how totally dependent they are on us, like when they have been seriously ill, and we need to really put forth to pull them through.

Who was it that said a good childhood is hardly worth the bother? But it is true, it just seems that the dogs that give us the most challenge seem to adhere themselves to our heartstrings with super-glue. One day we wake up and realize that we have come a looooooong way and we wouldn't trade this critter for the world.

A lot of people like to by-pass the puppy stages altogether. My real problem with that, is that once I have gone through puppy and adolescent, and young adult, and now have a dog I can rely on to give a great example, I don't want to part with them. And this is why I stress training as much as I do. I think that if people would successfully complete 2 or 3 sets of classes with a dog, they will be at such a different place than when they started and dogs would just not be dumped as much.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
That is because it takes 5 years to convince yourself that it really wasn't all that bad. And 5 years for the scars to fade....
Exactly!
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.