We've Reached the Turning Point! (anyone else get angry/frustrated w/puppy?) - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #61 (permalink)

I'm in this situation right now.. My pup is 3 months old and in the line of teething, and lots of things for me to adjust and trained her.. Lucky for me I have this all useful thread or application.. As a newly owning a dog, When I got frustrated in her behavior I will not play with her the whole day ( but the guilt inside is bothering me of course).
We are just human to loose our temper and patience. But at the end of the day we are still a dog lover..

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App
Umm Mohamed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #62 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
With all due respect, maybe if you have a toddler hanging off one leg and a baby sitting on the other hip, maybe it isn't a good time to bring home a puppy.

Raising a puppy isn't hard. Having two babies and trying to raise a puppy at the same time is really hard.

I think that when people find themselves thinking, "Gee, this is really hard" their very next thought ought to be, "Am I making it harder than it has to be?" Oftentimes scaling back will be helpful to both owner and pup.
Well then....I am off to drop my dog off at the pound......
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #63 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparra View Post
Well then....I am off to drop my dog off at the pound......
If you take on too much, don't blame it all on the puppy.

My sister has a kid that just turned three and another that will be two in March, she says no way to her husband when he says he wants a dog, not until they are done potty training.

I sold a puppy this year to a couple who had a mal pup, and a toddler. I thought, wow that is insane. But he's an LEO, the Mal is going to be his K9 and the pup from me is going to be their pet. It has been a couple of months and they aren't screaming yet.

But breeders read posts like yours and say, gee, maybe we shouldn't sell puppies with people with babies or toddlers or children. What's hard for some people isn't hard for others. It is just as much a blanket statement to say that raising puppies is hard, as it is a blanket statement to say that raising puppies isn't hard.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #64 (permalink)
Master Member

Maybe it's as much a generalization.

But I made this thread out of JOY that I had gotten through some difficulties with my first puppy and that we were finally bonding and getting to a happy place...

It's offensive to me that some would come in here, look at the fact that I had a hard time and am thrilled that Gabe and I managed to overcome it, and say "Pft! You shouldn't have had a hard time!"

Also, I wanted to note for the record that I only named this thread "We've Reached the Turning Point!" a Mod added the part in parenthesis. I think it changes the tone of the thread...

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #65 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitsisqua View Post

But I made this thread out of JOY that I had gotten through some difficulties with my first puppy and that we were finally bonding and getting to a happy place...

It's offensive to me that some would come in here, look at the fact that I had a hard time and am thrilled that Gabe and I managed to overcome it, and say "Pft! You shouldn't have had a hard time!"

Also, I wanted to note for the record that I only named this thread "We've Reached the Turning Point!" a Mod added the part in parenthesis. I think it changes the tone of the thread...
If you go back a hundred pages or so to the beginning of this thread you will see that I was not saying pffft! puppies are a piece of cake. I thought my first puppy was very difficult, but mostly because he was my very first puppy, and a terrible choice for a very first puppy to boot.

Congratulations on doing a better job on your very first puppy than I did on mine.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Old 12-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #66 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
If you go back a hundred pages or so to the beginning of this thread you will see that I was not saying pffft! puppies are a piece of cake. I thought my first puppy was very difficult, but mostly because he was my very first puppy, and a terrible choice for a very first puppy to boot.

Congratulations on doing a better job on your very first puppy than I did on mine.
I realize you weren't the one starting the "puppies are easy!" movement of this thread. And I wasn't trying to single you out. I'm just a little frustrated by the direction this thread seems to be taking.

And thank you. I'm glad you were able to grow from your first puppy experience, too.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #67 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I got in a huff when Sparra said that she should drop her pup off at the pound. Reading back through my previous post, I guess my "scaling back" was a suggestion to eliminate the puppy, which is not what I meant, I meant scaling back on all the things we new puppy owners do with our puppies to be the perfect owner, the training, socializing, puppy grooming, doggy daycare, dog park, dog beach, play dates, interactive toys, forum questions about everything -- health, training, structure, nutrition, and on and on and on.

What I have experienced is that some dogs do better when we relax it a bit, when we scale back.

So when we find ourselves saying, this is really hard, we should then ask, am I making it harder than it has to be?
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Old 12-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #68 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:

Well done....it is not all beer and skittles and that's what makes it all so rewarding. I look back on those puppy days when managing the household revolved around keeping puppy and children safe and think "phew....at times it was a real circus" but now I see my dog and 4 year old together and they are best mates and think wow.....all worth it.

Selzer......I got in a huff when you told me that becasue I find taking a dog with kids to the vet hard that I shouldn't have got the dog in the first place.....I never blamed anything on the puppy.....just said it was hard.....I don't see why admitting that means I need to scale down on anything.....it just is what it is......we deal with it and get on with things.....
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #69 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Raising puppies and doing it right is difficult. If it was so easy there would be less adolescent dogs surrendered to shelters.

I've raised a puppy with a child in diapers and it was made more difficult by their competing needs. And I would moan and groan during puppy class, but nobody ever told me I shouldn't be doing it. They patted me on the back and insisted that I could do it, and listened to me when I was feeling overwhelmed.

There is no such thing as a stupid question. Or an invalid emotion. We are all different, which is a good thing and should be celebrated. We can learn something from everyone here, even if it is simply patience! I find it sad that anyone would hesitate to post because of concern about appearing "stupid" or inexperienced.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #70 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
I think I love you.
I was thinking the same thing! Makes me wish I'd have sent Grim for a visit to someone during the first 2 months, LOL!
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.