We've Reached the Turning Point! (anyone else get angry/frustrated w/puppy?) - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #41 (permalink)

Puppy's can be tough but they're worth the effort.
skew12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 03:02 AM   #42 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
Crying? Seriousely? That is why its important to train them from day 1. Yes its A LOT of work but crying? Put yourself together. I had mine since 2 months old and she was potty trained within 2 weeks and you have to correct inappropriate behaviour immidiately and consistantely if you do that you won't have to cry. I am the type of person that loses patience almost instantly, but my husband always tells me how much patience I have for the dog, i am very surprised myself actually.. It because I understand that the dog doesnt know any better and its up to ME to teach her, so instead of crying spend more time training, and yes it hard but its only temproray until they mature...
Oh, he was potty trained very quickly. But he was a HORRIBLE landshark. From what I've seen/read, he was worse than average. I did all of the corrections, all of the redirections, and nothing worked but time. Yes, I was frustrated enough to cry, but it's not like I did absolutely nothing but cry over it. Those were a few particularly difficult moments.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 AM   #43 (permalink)
Master Member

Kudos for people being honest about how hard it is.

We love Jake more than anything, but the last 8 1/2 months have been exhausting! Between his health (digestive and allergy issues) and now being in the adolescent phase, when we are home one of us needs to dedicate 100% of our attention to him.

Raising Jake has been the most challenging thing I've ever done. I grew up with dogs and did lots of reading on GSD's before getting one, but none of it really prepared me for what reality would be like. But we made a commitment to him and we are working through it ... hired a personal trainer / behaviorist, switching to a homemade diet, etc. I hope that the light at the end of the tunnel becomes visible over the next couple months and all of our hard work will pay off.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

it's a lot to do but it's not hard. i don't consider it work.
here's a list of what i find absolutely nothing hard about
doing. after my list you show me a list of what's hard.

there's nothing hard about:
> taking the pup out often.
> socializing
> feeding and giving water
> going to the Vet
> going to the Vet to socialize
> meeting people
> going different places
> setting up play dates
> going to the play dates
> walking the pup
> letting the pup in the yard
> letting the pup have free time in the
house (learning house manners)
> teaching commands (verbal or hand signals)
> meeting the mail man or mail woman
> teaching the pup not to chase things
> teaching the pup not to bark at the neighbors
when in the yard
> introducing the pup to different animals

the list goes on and on about what's not hard. i don't think
it's hard or work so it's easy for me.

now you list a few things that's so hard to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post

>>>>> Doggie dad ... with all due respect ... it can be hard and it's a lot of work. <<<<

The amount of work that needs to go into a puppy in order to have a GREAT dog. Let's face it, you could do no work, but what kind of dog would you have?

I've raised lots of dogs, worked with dogs, etc. for the last 20+ years - it's one thing to work with someone and their dog for a couple of hours and leave. But, if you want to be a responsible, dedicated dog owner, it is A TON of work.

It's VERY hard when you've read all kinds of information, think you're prepared and then this puppy comes into the house and everything you read about goes flying out the window.

OR ... conversely ... you get the dog you really want BUT you didn't really "GET IT" when the breeder says HIGH drive, HIGH energy ... most people think that's awesome ... until they have it in the house.

I readily admitted in a number of posts there were plenty of times I would have traded Ky in for a hamster ... and unlike a first time dog owner, I KNEW what I was getting into ... I did also know that it would end at some point, it just wasn't as fast as I wanted (like a day later LOL)

Kudos to all the people out there, who have come on here, sought advice and been able to work through it.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #45 (permalink)
Elite Member

Just change the word "puppy" to "baby" and this thread could be on a parenting forum....
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #46 (permalink)
Elite Member

Obviously people have different definitions of what is "hard" and what isn't.

DoggieDad's list:

taking the pup out often - EASY

socializing - depends on where you are - I had that EASY b/c I have a massive dog park, friends with dogs, etc. Not everyone has that, so it can be harder

feeding and giving water - EASY

going to the Vet - EASY but HARD emotionally, especially if the puppy is sick

going to the Vet to socialize - EASY BUT then you get some people who say DO NOT bring the dog to the vet b/c they'll get sick from the other animals, or carry them there, etc.

meeting people - can be easy, can be hard - my family, with the exception of my dad because we live together don't like dogs. When they found out I got a GSD my sister was livid, and my mom has only been to the house three times. Also - not everyone likes a GSD, puppy or not.

going different places - EASY

setting up play dates - Can be easy, can be hard - I have tons of friends with great dogs, so for me this was a piece of cake. Can be hard - there's a thread on here that someone asked about his 12 week old puppy playing with a dog that has an e-collar on because the dog is reactive ... SHOULD be an easy decision to not do that, but the OP wasn't sure and needed to check ... not everyone has friends with dogs! When I got my first dog by myself NO ONE I knew had dogs

walking the pup - EASY

letting the pup in the yard - EASY if you have a yard!

letting the pup have free time in the house (learning house manners) - A combo of both LOL

teaching commands (verbal or hand signals) - EASY

meeting the mail man or mail woman - IMPOSSIBLE for some! I'm gone all day when the mail person comes, so not going to happen

teaching the pup not to chase things - CAN be easy, can also be super hard, depending on the dog

teaching the pup not to bark at the neighbors when in the yard - can be easy - doesn't help when you have a load of kids coming up and teasing the dog constantly (like I have!)

introducing the pup to different animals - CAN be easy, can be hard - depends on the animal, and can also depend on the pup's drive. Ky is the ONLY dog I've had to worry about my parrots with ... all my other dogs were fine, and even most of my friend's dogs ...

Everyone's situation is different, and I think when people come here looking for help they get so many options they feel overwhelmed. Likely some people try ALL of the options over the course of a couple of days, which only makes things worse.

I don't think it's fair when someone comes on here to vent, or is looking for people that have had similar experiences and say a comment like "it's really hard, or I broke down and cried" to have ANYONE else on this forum come down on them and say ... it's NOT hard, and WOW you cried? How could you ...

We don't know other people's situations, their age, their physical abilities, their level of experience, understanding of puppies / dogs, etc. We basically know nothing about them except what they've offered in the post. To tell someone that it's easy, especially to someone that is struggling is only making them feel more like a failure. And I really don't believe that is ANYONE's intention from this forum ...

Everyone is different, and everyone experiences things differently ... what someone sees as hard, someone else sees as easy ... what makes one person cry, could make another person angry ... we're all different, and we should respect the differences.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #47 (permalink)

I'll be honest, there are a handful of people on this site that are a little condescending to others...and as a first time dog owner and first time GSD owner I am often offended by the 'advice' I am given on here.

I would like to feel like I can share information and ask questions on this forum without being made to feel like I'm some idiot.

Just food for thought for all of you experts on here. I get it. You've had lots of dogs and plenty of experience. But what makes you a better dog owner than me, really?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SukiGirl View Post
I'll be honest, there are a handful of people on this site that are a little condescending to others...and as a first time dog owner and first time GSD owner I am often offended by the 'advice' I am given on here.

I would like to feel like I can share information and ask questions on this forum without being made to feel like I'm some idiot.

Just food for thought for all of you experts on here. I get it. You've had lots of dogs and plenty of experience. But what makes you a better dog owner than me, really?

I feel that way sometimes, too! Not personally has anyone really offended me, but reading some advice on here makes me feel like I could possibly post a "dumb" question in some people's opinions. I, too, am a first time GSD owner and have gone through hoops and hurdles with my pup, and I just have a lot of questions I want to ask, and not be made to feel like I'm an inadequate GSD because I have questions about them..

-“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
lkellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkellen View Post
I feel that way sometimes, too! Not personally has anyone really offended me, but reading some advice on here makes me feel like I could possibly post a "dumb" question in some people's opinions. I, too, am a first time GSD owner and have gone through hoops and hurdles with my pup, and I just have a lot of questions I want to ask, and not be made to feel like I'm an inadequate GSD because I have questions about them..
Not like I've run to the corner to cry over something someone has said...but I've been almost disgusted at how some grown adults on here talk to people like they're just plain stupid for not knowing something.

What Kyleigh said is true - we have to respect others regardless of skill level or experience.

And, can I take it back to Kindergarten for a second here and just say, "If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing at all". We'd all appreciate it.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #50 (permalink)

GSD owner* was what I meant

-“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
lkellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.