We've Reached the Turning Point! (anyone else get angry/frustrated w/puppy?) - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #31 (permalink)

I understand where you're at COMPLETELY!!! When we first brought Brody home I was very overwhelmed. Like you he is my first dog and was a total handful and I was in tears more times than I can count. For the first few months I couldn't even get near him without him attacking me in typical land shark fashion and because of this I don't think I bonded to him very well at first. I actually felt very guilty about this and would feel awful when I heard others talk about how bonded they were to their puppy. I felt like I was doing something wrong. Now, Brody is 2 and we're starting to really bond. He still doesn't like to cuddle but I know that he's attached to me. I don't think I would get another puppy though. My next GSD will be older.
jennyp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #32 (permalink)
Elite Member

Never a puppy again, I don't even think of a different breed. I enjoy My dog so much more as an adult and still look forward to her maturing more. I was on the verge of tears for the first 3 months of having her, and I had already gotten a break by havin et stay at the breeder a house till 4 months old. It was okay for the next while, but I'm really bonding with her now that she is almost 1.5. Daily, I still look forward to her adult days.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #33 (permalink)

Oh boy, Schatzi drove me CRAZY! I cried out of frustration a few times. At one point I felt I was way over my head. But I took it a day at a time and finally I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel lol. She is 9 months old now and she still managed to make a hole on my couch I kicked her out the house and laughed then brought her back in. However after all the fuzz, tears, and headaches I will not take a day back. I learned so much about myself through this process and I thank Schatzi for it

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think Doggydad is right in that I think a lot of times we make it a lot harder than it has to be.

We read all those books and sit there and look at the 8 week old furball and start applying 17 theories on animal rearing. We hear socialize, socialize, socialize. And we run the poor pup off its feet. We hear train, train, train, and we have the dog doing sit stays, and down stays, and recalls, and are expecting it to be perfect. Sometimes we do too much, and we expect too much.

I know a guy who waits until his pups are 10 months old, and then obedience trains them in a week. His dogs all seem to have stable temperaments, are not afraid of people, and he uses a prong collar and teaches them the basics in a week, and that does it for him.

I think that when you are working with a number of dogs, or when you have gotten a number of puppies through puppyhood, you have a better handle on what to expect, and you avoid a lot of pit falls, which makes each puppy a little easier to manage. And while they are all different, you are able to focus on how this puppy learns, and what this puppy needs from me, instead of 17 different theories and how my puppy is reaching each of its goals.

Also, you simply do not have the time or energy to overwhelm the puppy with training and socialization. So your schedule is a little more laid back, and the puppy may not get its CD at six months of age, but by the time it is a year old, you don't have to be embarrassed when you take it to the grooming salon in PetsMart, and you can be pretty darn proud of her when you take her to the vet.

I think just the feeling of knowing what you are doing, that the experienced puppy raiser has makes raising the puppies a whole lot easier. Waiting for them to be through with teething before giving them more freedom in the house, makes it a lot easier to teach them what they can and cannot chew on.

That first GSD puppy is hard, because we are inexperienced. We have to learn everything. And we want to do an awesome job. I think we sometimes forget that a little is a lot. And sometimes more is not better. And if you put 5 years between puppies, you have plenty of time to forget everything your previous puppy taught you. Which makes puppy #2 harder too, in some ways.

Luckily for me, I learned on puppy #2, that what worked for puppy #1 was not necessarily going to work for puppy #2. I learned to adjust to the pup. At the same time, I did not make a lot of the same mistakes with the second that I did with the first. And there are things I just do, without thinking about it now, so it kind of becomes second nature.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #35 (permalink)
Knighted Member

WD is now 10 months old and this week I started him on down-stay. Did it perfectly and no stress involved. I have learned this time to take it easy with pups. As long as temperament is solid, you can afford it.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master Member

Tazor has had sooo many "Marley n Me" moments lately. He cant seem to do anything right. I get frustrated n a daily basis...however..remember the end of Marley n me?? I know there will come a time when I will wish so hard to get these days back when he's healthy and full of mischief. I was so mad at him this morning..I only have to look at him a certain way and he drops to the floor..he just lays there n looks at me, then I feel guilty. Geez, how mean do I look? No sign language, no verbal command, he just lays down..lol. Thank god he cant call the cops..haha.

Overall, we are friends, and I know he is gonna be a heck of a great dog, but we are pretty much testing each other. Just turning one is hard in terms of containing his energy and impulses and Im feeling..too old for this crap.

I just remember that..someday, this will be funny..attitude and of course I try to appreciate that he is having a difficult time not being able to do what he wants. These are...the good old days...someday you will so miss these challenging times.

Airbrush Artist

Tazor Von Best GermanShepherdinTheWorld
`10 months
Pennsylvania
http://personalatees.webs.com/
TaZoR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #37 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Never have been angry or frustrated. I think people have unrealistic expectations on about their pup's ability to comprehend things, and people under-estimate their own role in creating the very behaviours that they are trying to stop or change.

Puppy was being a puppy was being a puppy was being a puppy. As a puppy, with a puppy brain, they just are. The act and react and life fits within a 2 second world view. Getting them to see and understand things from our world view is pointless. If pup is doing things I don't want them to do, then I'm not doing my job of setting them up for success.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #38 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You will look back on this years from now and smile. The puppy stage is tough but well rewarding in the end. If the youngling is making you frustrated, take a break and try something else with it.Then go back to trying to train what you were trying to do. Take baby steps with it. Just think of all the funny stories you will have years from now, and how many changes occur.....Hang in there
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master Member

Crying? Seriousely? That is why its important to train them from day 1. Yes its A LOT of work but crying? Put yourself together. I had mine since 2 months old and she was potty trained within 2 weeks and you have to correct inappropriate behaviour immidiately and consistantely if you do that you won't have to cry. I am the type of person that loses patience almost instantly, but my husband always tells me how much patience I have for the dog, i am very surprised myself actually.. It because I understand that the dog doesnt know any better and its up to ME to teach her, so instead of crying spend more time training, and yes it hard but its only temproray until they mature...
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
Crying? Seriousely? That is why its important to train them from day 1. Yes its A LOT of work but crying? Put yourself together. I had mine since 2 months old and she was potty trained within 2 weeks and you have to correct inappropriate behaviour immidiately and consistantely if you do that you won't have to cry. I am the type of person that loses patience almost instantly, but my husband always tells me how much patience I have for the dog, i am very surprised myself actually.. It because I understand that the dog doesnt know any better and its up to ME to teach her, so instead of crying spend more time training, and yes it hard but its only temproray until they mature...
I will admit Ive been a crier with Remington.. She is my first gsd and while I've owned large and hyper dogs before- I wasn't prepared for the health hurdles we went through during prime training time. I think everyone's case is different, and mine has gotten better due to finding a trainer specific to GSDs and training myself along with Remy!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

-“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
lkellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.