We've Reached the Turning Point! (anyone else get angry/frustrated w/puppy?) - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #21 (permalink)
Elite Member

Doggie dad ... with all due respect ... it can be hard and it's a lot of work. The amount of work that needs to go into a puppy in order to have a GREAT dog. Let's face it, you could do no work, but what kind of dog would you have?

I've raised lots of dogs, worked with dogs, etc. for the last 20+ years - it's one thing to work with someone and their dog for a couple of hours and leave. But, if you want to be a responsible, dedicated dog owner, it is A TON of work.

It's VERY hard when you've read all kinds of information, think you're prepared and then this puppy comes into the house and everything you read about goes flying out the window.

OR ... conversely ... you get the dog you really want BUT you didn't really "GET IT" when the breeder says HIGH drive, HIGH energy ... most people think that's awesome ... until they have it in the house.

I readily admitted in a number of posts there were plenty of times I would have traded Ky in for a hamster ... and unlike a first time dog owner, I KNEW what I was getting into ... I did also know that it would end at some point, it just wasn't as fast as I wanted (like a day later LOL)

Kudos to all the people out there, who have come on here, sought advice and been able to work through it.
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #22 (permalink)

I've been to the point where I wanted to give her back, but that was just the first month or so... lol Keira is only 4.5 months and is much better.

Kyleigh is right on, I did lots of research before getting keira, she was initially for my husband whom wanted a gsd but never did any research... She is food driven and can be full of energy, match her with my son who turns three tomorrow and you have a very funny tornado nightmare... She is my first large dog, I spent the first month and a half training her until I told my husband he needed to if he wanted her to bond with him, but now she's back to me...

Anyway I keep reading different things, when the gsd puppies reach 6 months they turn into a nightmare, so maybe this is the calm before her storm. She's finally doing good with everything but biting my son, but he encourages her so that's an uphill battle...
Ayla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master Member

Yeah. Before I got Gabe, I read SO MANY BOOKS. I read plenty of threads on this site, and other websites. I soaked up as much information as I could and thought I was prepared...but it was still so much harder than I thought.

And Doggie dad, if your puppies have never been a lot of work, I'm jealous.

Gabe was a horrible little landshark. I tried all the tricks, but it still took a very long time to break him of it. (Truth be told, he's still not QUITE broken of it. But he's not really biting anymore. He just sort of likes to grab people (usually me) by the wrist, very gently with his mouth. Wonderful compared to what he used to be like!)

And then there was teaching him how to live with the cats...

...And not to get on the furniture.

...And not to go upstairs.

...And not to eat dirt/toilet paper/small rocks.

And he didn't take to crate training as easily as I had hoped. He cried in it for a long time, so I was frustrated and exhausted.

It was hard, but he's much better for it, and I think I am too. I've learned so much that will make things easier with my next dog in 2-3 years or so.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #24 (permalink)

Its funny you say 'around the 9 month mark' because that is precisely when Suki turned the corner also. It was like literally one day she just woke up and was a completely different dog.

I'd say from about 3 - 7 months I was on the verge of tears daily. She actually caused me to cry in front of our entire obedience class once. That was a fun day...

Now that she is calming down, there is a bond and trust built...we can't imagine our lives without her. She is my constant shadow and protector. We love her to pieces. I can't imagine owning another breed, seriously.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #25 (permalink)

I get what Doggiedad is saying. Although I think the concept of raising a puppy is easy. If you do enough research and use the right training tools you can raise a very well behaved puppy rather easy. Now comes the big IF
IF your house keeps itself clean
IF your family cooks for themselves
IF you don't have to work while trying to raise the pup
IF you have basically nothing else to focus on while raising your puppy.
I think I did a decent job raising my puppy, but it was hard working a full time job and trying to find time for exercise and training everyday while still keeping up with housework. And, with all of those other things going on in your life you come home to a landshark with the attention span of a fly, its hard not to lose your mind.
At least that's how I think most of us feel...
Cstout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstout View Post
I get what Doggiedad is saying. Although I think the concept of raising a puppy is easy. If you do enough research and use the right training tools you can raise a very well behaved puppy rather easy. Now comes the big IF
IF your house keeps itself clean
IF your family cooks for themselves
IF you don't have to work while trying to raise the pup
IF you have basically nothing else to focus on while raising your puppy.
I think I did a decent job raising my puppy, but it was hard working a full time job and trying to find time for exercise and training everyday while still keeping up with housework. And, with all of those other things going on in your life you come home to a landshark with the attention span of a fly, its hard not to lose your mind.
At least that's how I think most of us feel...
BAZINGA! You hit the nail right on the head, there! The hardest part of raising Suki is NOT Suki herself but all the other crud I have to get done on a daily basis all while satisfying the needs of my high energy dog.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #27 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Agreed. Plus, if you have kids, even older ones like mine, they can inadvertently make it more difficult by doing things subtly different, or by not being consistent, etc.

Plus, some puppies are just easier than others. I firmly believe that. I think raising has much to do with it, but so do genetics.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Honestly, I've raised a lot of dogs. Some more challenging than others. But I know me. I know what I need to be a successful trainer for my dogs.

That is why the number one thing...the very FIRST thing I teach is how to be quiet in the kennel. After that, everything the pup/dog learns depends on my ability to teach it. Everything else is my fault if the pup/dog fails to learn.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
Agreed. Plus, if you have kids, even older ones like mine, they can inadvertently make it more difficult by doing things subtly different, or by not being consistent, etc.

Plus, some puppies are just easier than others. I firmly believe that. I think raising has much to do with it, but so do genetics.
This is such a huge factor! I could do everything in the world right while I'm there, but then I go to work and my husband is left with the puppy. What if he (and believe me it's him) does everything wrong. And no I am not just saying that.

I had forgotten how much "fun" a GSD pup was. I waited 11 years between mine.

Although I think it is a bit easier when you have done it before. You know what you are getting into even if you sort of forget the bad parts.

Kya - GSD 7/15/00
Phinneas - Min Pin 2/4/08
Milla - Orithia Z Diehlomov 2/10/12
TJ - GSD 2/27/99-8/7/11
TimberGSD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Honestly, I've raised a lot of dogs. Some more challenging than others. But I know me. I know what I need to be a successful trainer for my dogs.

That is why the number one thing...the very FIRST thing I teach is how to be quiet in the kennel. After that, everything the pup/dog learns depends on my ability to teach it. Everything else is my fault if the pup/dog fails to learn.
That was one of the first two things we started on. That and potty training. He just took longer than I had expected to get used to it.
When I was a kid, my mom got a puppy that never once cried in the crate. Not even the first night. Gabe was a little more challenging... And I think I was doing everything right. I had the crate in my bedroom. He could see me and know that he wasn't alone. I didn't let him out when he cried or encourage him.

...He was just a little remedial where crate training was concerned. It probably didn't help that he was from an exceptionally large litter?

He loves his crate now, though. Sometimes, when I can't seem to find him, I'll look over, and he'll be napping in his crate.

And it wasn't that he isn't smart or is slow. He's proved very quick and clever with other things...he just had some sort of hangup with the crate.

Also, Timber, I think you're absolutely right. I think if I get my next dog as a puppy, things will probably be easier for me since I've been through it once before.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -

Last edited by Anitsisqua; 12-11-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.