We've Reached the Turning Point! (anyone else get angry/frustrated w/puppy?) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

The mods are having fun with this one. It was moved from General to Stories, then from Stories here to Puppy Socialization...

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
That is because it takes 5 years to convince yourself that it really wasn't all that bad. And 5 years for the scars to fade....
That's the most spot on thing I've read in awhile!
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

[QUOTE=Anitsisqua;2651797]Gabe is 9 months old now, and has lived with me for the past 7 months.

He is my first GSD, my first large dog, and the first dog that I have owned (i.e. not my mother's dog).

The first couple weeks, he was so cute I could just eat him up.

The next several months, I spent on the edge of tears, wondering how I could have gotten so in over my head.

From about six months on, I got used to him. We fell into a routine, and it was...okay.

I didn't realize until now how I had just gotten used to being annoyed/frustrated with him. I loved him, but he was a constant pest.

Now, we've finally reached the point where I actually ENJOY him. I didn't even know I was waiting for anything, but now that it's happened, I feel so relieved. It seems like he's finally learned to behave and what I expect of him. I am so happy, and, it seems to me, he's much happier too.

Also, is this just me? Has anyone else had a similar experience with puppies, or am I just awful for not liking my puppy as much when he was younger?[/QUOTE]

NOPE! Very common - my dog is SO much better now than when he was younger! (He is 5 yo this week) MUCH easier to live with no!

Sort of like human infants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Much better at 1yo and up (till teenage), then a lull till young adult size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heh! Heh!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

I was just thinking about this today, about how cute and fun puppies are... how much everyone loves them. And how much I MAY NEVER WANT ONE AGAIN! lol Stark is now 10 months old but up until about 6 months I was on the verge of tears almost daily. Thinking he would never be potty trained, I would never be able to let him out of his kennel without watching him every second, and wondering when all the scabs on my wrists and ankles would heal. The BF and I joke that anyone who wants a baby should raise a puppy first... never realized it was so much work!
Cstout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstout View Post
I was just thinking about this today, about how cute and fun puppies are... how much everyone loves them. And how much I MAY NEVER WANT ONE AGAIN! lol Stark is now 10 months old but up until about 6 months I was on the verge of tears almost daily. Thinking he would never be potty trained, I would never be able to let him out of his kennel without watching him every second, and wondering when all the scabs on my wrists and ankles would heal. The BF and I joke that anyone who wants a baby should raise a puppy first... never realized it was so much work!
EXACTLY!

...But then I go to the breeder's house, see a cute puppy, and feel the overwhelming urge to take it home.

A couple months ago, I was saying I'd never get another puppy again!

Puppies make smart people stupid.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitsisqua View Post
Gabe is 9 months old now, and has lived with me for the past 7 months.

He is my first GSD, my first large dog, and the first dog that I have owned (i.e. not my mother's dog).

The first couple weeks, he was so cute I could just eat him up.

The next several months, I spent on the edge of tears, wondering how I could have gotten so in over my head.

From about six months on, I got used to him. We fell into a routine, and it was...okay.

I didn't realize until now how I had just gotten used to being annoyed/frustrated with him. I loved him, but he was a constant pest.

Now, we've finally reached the point where I actually ENJOY him. I didn't even know I was waiting for anything, but now that it's happened, I feel so relieved. It seems like he's finally learned to behave and what I expect of him. I am so happy, and, it seems to me, he's much happier too.

Also, is this just me? Has anyone else had a similar experience with puppies, or am I just awful for not liking my puppy as much when he was younger?
Ha, ha, I could and may have written this too. Once in a while WD has a T-day * but mostly he is my dream dog.
* Testosterone
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 12:15 AM   #17 (permalink)

i had the same problems with kane, my wgsd, he was kinda bad when he was a puppy, my friends would call him the white devil haha. he would always bite, hated being petted, didnt like any contact, his walks were horrible, several times for a few months i wondered if i made a bad choice in getting a dog, but then, before i realized it (he was about 9 months when i actually noticed), kane completely changed, he would lay next to me, he actually sleeps right next to my bed and follows me everywhere in the house, he's 2 and half right now and still acts like a puppy (he doesnt realize he's 85lbs), my friends who havent seen him in a long time cant believe he's the same dog. cash, my younger gsd, was a lot different, you can say he was a lot nicer than kane, but by the time i got cash, kane was already potty trained and well behaved.
just wait till he's almost two years almost fully grown and still acting like a pup, you're going to forget everything about the first few "bad" months
KanesCash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 01:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

I had the same problem with my golden when he was a puppy... It probably took me almost a year to fully bond with him!

But with Ollie my GSD pup who's almost 4 months old, I am totally utterly in love. He potty trained basically the first day I brought him home, I showed him where to go and that's where he went. He's never been landsharky, in fact he's super gentle with his mouth although I guess there's time for that to change since he'll be teething soon if he's not already. He's also sleeping outside his crate at night already(though he is baby gated to my side of the bed) and will wake me up when he has to potty.

It's just so bizarre I've never had such a well behaved puppy but I suspect he's just luring me into a false sense of security and will pull the rug from under me soon.

He's also the fourth puppy I've raised in the last 8 years, I think I'm just used to it now and kind of have the routine down pat.

But Ollie is the exception lol, there were many times with my other pups where I thought WHAT THE HECK DID I DO??!!
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:02 AM   #19 (permalink)

I thought I was the only person who felt this way! Lol. My GSD is a year old now but when she was about 7-9 months, I couldn't stand her! Mainly because I was unsure on how to properly train her. I'm working on her training now and have become closer to her because of it.
mocamacho92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

there's nothing hard about raising a GSD. people make it hard by
thinking it's hard and they frustrate themselves. you have to be
consistent when raising a pup.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.