We've Reached the Turning Point! (anyone else get angry/frustrated w/puppy?) - Page 10 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #91 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitsisqua View Post
Puppies make smart people stupid.

Spirit is 8 months, oh my oh my. I was in shock the first few months I had him. Then things seemed to calm down for a bit, and now I am in shock again. Every day feels like a tornado, like he's on steroids LOL

He seems to think it's quite alright to jump on my head when I'm sitting on the couch, or fly into someone's lap at full speed. I did never think that a GSD would have the same issue as my golden retriever with excessive greeting disorder -- I couldn't have been more wrong!

He is still injuring me on a fairly regular basis LOL I have scars that will never fade and one serious puncture wound on my foot that is taking well over a month to heal.

I adore him, I really do. And I don't fail to notice his great qualities. But honestly, he is A LOT of dog ... and I was not prepared for that. I envisioned GSD's to be quiet and serene, noble, cool and collected.

I've cried. I've been flustered and frustrated. I do yell
sometimes, though as soon as I find myself doing that, it's time for a time out and in the crate he goes. There are times I feel completely overwhelmed, and times I think this will never get better and omg what have I done.

I'm in it for the longhaul though, that's the kind of person I am. I don't give up my pets, I choose them carefully and I commit.

My son comes over sometimes and watches me and Spirit ... he shakes his head and laughs. He thinks I'm in over my head. One time he yelled at me, "GET YOUR DOG UNDER CONTROL!" Hah, I'm WORKING ON IT!!

Spirit is not your ordinary dog, he challenges me to the nth degree MOST of the time.

I do believe in my heart that everything will be okay in the longrun. If I didn't believe that, I'd be in big trouble.

Now I'm going to go back and read this entire thread. I think it will be useful to me
Jo Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #92 (permalink)
Master Member

Okay, caught up now

Raising Spirit has been hard. I've raised puppies before. Spirit is different, he's like puppy times 10. Why? I don't know. Raising my golden retriever puppy was a piece of cake, from day 1. Easy street. Such an easy dog. Spirit is different.

I'm mature, I don't beat my dog, I know when he misbehaves it's not his fault, it's mine. What is hard about raising Spirit is the demand it places on me. Yes, that part is hard. I have to step up, about a hundred times a day. I have to change MY behavior, my patterns. Is that easy? Nope.
Jo Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #93 (permalink)

Anitsisqua,can you please share or anyone on the list share on how to stop pup from grabbing cats other then being consistent!
What is the best method ! Im new on here but am reading the different forums. Thanks for any Info I can't seem to figure out how to post pictures but I'm the proud Mom of a five month old female German Shepherd ,Liv Von Schneiden Fels and she is some thing!
Love her she is busy busy busy! Thanks Marjorie.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
MiraC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #94 (permalink)
Master Member

Correct her every time. My cats still interest Gabe, but he knows he's not supposed to mess with them. Just a loud "NO!" and a sharp pop on his collar EVENTUALLY did it for Gabe.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 02:34 AM   #95 (permalink)

She is almost one in one month and is the holly terror. These past few months have been frustrating. I'm glad you guys felt the same way. I get so frustrated I have to give myself a time out. She is so mischievous and so bad at home, it seems like all the hard work and training had just flown out the door. Praying that this pup will grow up ASAP, I even thought of giving her up. I feel like a horrible first time mommy.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sasha86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #96 (permalink)

This thread has seriously made me feel 100x better about me and my pup. He's smart, loving and like kids, well behaved in public but sometimes wears on my patience at home. He's certainly demanding. There are days when I feel fantastic about how we've done and other days my husband comes home and I'm in tears and hand him the dog. He's 3.5 months now and has just figured out door handles and counter surfing...trying to keep him challenged is actually my challenge. I know eventually he'll be a great dog and he's just being a puppy that needs trained/redirected, but sometimes I just need 20 minutes to power nap/ drink a glass of wine/ watch an uninterrupted TV show/ shower.

And I do think that what certain people find things easy and hard depending on your circumstances. I personally found socializing to be the most difficult as well as providing my pup enough exercise (the parvo risk in my area is high) as we're stuck in the yard till his shots are through.
jessac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.