Kids and Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Kids and Training

When I was a kid and anyone got a dog, it was basically the kids dog. There was no formal training, at least where I grew up, just dogs that followed us around..no recall needed, kind of like the ones you see in the movies. It seemed the only nasty dogs were the ones chained up or belonging to those without kids. So I was wondering if any of you notice a difference with dogs exposed to children as an influence. I myself have noticed one thing, and that is..when a dog does something a little kid doesnt like, they clobber him..not hard, but enough to let the dog know that it did something wrong. Kind of like when another dog corrects a puppy for biting or taking something inappropriately. They also love the dog and bond on a level more in tune to the dogs intellectual level..in my opinion.

Any thoughts or observations? Do our expectations get in the way? Would we benefit by putting away our training books and relax?

Airbrush Artist

Tazor Von Best GermanShepherdinTheWorld
`10 months
Pennsylvania
http://personalatees.webs.com/
TaZoR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

yes and no ! I do recall as a child our dog following us but abuse was never in the picture. If a child harms a dog, I believe a dog has the right to defends its self, and it eventually will. I hope the dog is not to blame for a dumb owner..
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 12:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Depends on your definition of "formal training." I've noticed anytime someone thinks back to their childhood, they don't really realize the work that their parents put into the dog when the kid wasn't looking. The difference that you're noticing is probably that people that have kids and dogs have probably had a few dogs back in the day already and so they know what they're doing. To this day I definitely notice that more experienced owners have better behaved dogs.

Also, families that have dogs and kids need their dogs to be better faster and that is something that today's pet training really focuses on. When I see pet training, involving highly driven dogs, I see instructors that kill the drive of the dog and just make it a calm, relaxed piece of furniture. These dogs care a lot about the children and the families, but they are taught to not make their own decisions and so they don't.

I've seen bad dogs no matter what kind of family, I've also seen great dogs in every type of family. I'll still chalk the "back in my day" stories to no really knowing what your parents were doing every day to train said dog. As a kid, you get to reap the rewards without doing much of the work. And I'm with harmony...I would never allow any child to hit a dog, this is not "mother correcting puppy" considering there are few 10 year olds that are bigger than my dog. So sorry...but a 4 year old "correcting" my dog by hitting it on the head, won't get any lesson across but might get that kid bit.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

we had a golden retriever when I was real young and the worst thing that ever happen was a blackeye playing with a stick, and this was a runner outside, never got to come in! Now I have heard of people letting their children kick, walk over, etc a dog and in the end I think the kid might have what is coming to them. IF you want your dog to have respect you should teach your kid that also, or never have one
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Oh, Im in no way talking abuse, very small kids will smack a dog if it bites too hard..or push it away if they want the same toy. They do the same with other kids or even adults. Then they pout or get mad just like a dog who gets in trouble and lays on a corner.

My parents did not train our dogs, they were ours, and they were treated as equally as our friends. We shared our food and drinks and had adventures, but i never had a pocket full of treats. I guess its just me, but I think maybe some training techniques are just over analizing response, behavior and overall makes it harder. Not always, but I guess I grew up differently

Airbrush Artist

Tazor Von Best GermanShepherdinTheWorld
`10 months
Pennsylvania
http://personalatees.webs.com/
TaZoR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.