Jersey folks!! Any recommendation for exercise locations for pup? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jersey folks!! Any recommendation for exercise locations for pup?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I have a question. My wife and I live in Ocean county. We have a 6 month old fur baby and love him to death. I need to find a LARGE fenced in area to let him run like a maniac. I think dog parks are great but Hero barks so much and I am not sure if he would actually jump on another dog. He does ok other than barking in Petsmart but I am not sure. I have been invited by the Jersey Shore Shepherds to do their outings by a lady in the training class he went to but I am still nervous about this. He has so much energy which I love but I need to be able to take him somewhere to run since my yard is not fenced in. If his recall was better I would take him to the local baseball field which is partly fenced but I don't want to be chasing him if he sees a kid or something. I really want to get him out to ware him out a little more. I am taking him for short runs with me but he pulls so much that it effects my run. We are still working on the walkning on the leash thing and barking at EVERYTHING he sees. So I know there are a TON of JERSEY people on here so I am looking for some suggestions!! Any would be great Thanks a TON!!!

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 12-05-2012 at 09:44 PM.
wink-_-wink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

well i dont live in ocean county, but i use to take lexie to the tennis courts at a park when no one was there, close the gates and play ball. she loved that, but i didnt take her for extended periods of time, i didnt think running on pavement for a long time was good for growing joints. i would go to the outing you were invited to, just exercise him before you go, its great socialization training for him, good luck.
lorihd@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

Find some athletic fields and go at night, or early in the morning. They are usually fenced, baseball fields and tracks are great. I would keep on training though, use his energy to train a reliable recall, stay, and leave it; that would be your best bet at the moment, that way you can take him out and off lead at random points. When I go for walks, I let my boy off lead in lots and whatever grassy areas work, sometimes they are less than an acre but it helps him get some extra freedom.
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

We live on a pretty remote farm where the dogs are free all the time, but we do like to go to different places to look around. There is an industrial area near the airport. Sometimes after business hours we (2 GSD's and I) go there and I get a burger at a fast food place and take the dogs across the street to one of the industrial plants with fences. I sit at a picnic table and watch the dogs explore. Last week we visited a plant with a statue of a soldier dressed in combat gear. One of my dogs was really interested in that statue. He walked around it, sat down and studied it, then jumped up and looked eye to eye with the bronze soldier. I should have had my camera.
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sorry, I can't help much. We're in a rural area and are less than a mile away from a huge wilderness preserve and have plenty of nearly deserted state parks nearby.

What about getting a long line - even make your own with a long clothesline - so you can let your dog run without worrying about him running away.
Just be careful you don't get tangled up in it, I've seen some nasty injuries!

Kira von Wolfstraum HGH
PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD
Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT
Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
The JRT's: ARCHX Gizmo TT RL1X RL2X RL3 & Cricket RL2
phgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ocean county is full of parks, bay, lagoons and the Ocean.

If you live near the ocean or bay?

My dog loves to just run on the beaches...She will chase the sea foam,
digging, etc...A ton of things to do. And at this time of the year most beaches are open to dogs and most of the time you won't see a soul on the beach.

Anyway i'm not sure where you live. Our dog also loves the bay...She will go right in the water as soon as we are near it...haha.

A lot to do right now for any dog as most people are gone..haha...
JohnD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the ideas! I thought about the elementary school or the ball fields near me but both have "no pets allowed" signs up so I don't know if this pertains to after hours as well... I don't want to get a ticket or anything. As far as the beach, it is really cold these days and as much as I would love to let Hero jump on in but I don't think that is a good idea.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

if you join the clubs outings you will give your pup some real good socialization and can teach him at the same time.. mental exercise is just as tiring as physical exercise.. i joined a hiking group and take my 2 hiking every sunday, plus their regular 3 mile walks at night and they are tired after all the walking and smelling new smells...
Honey
http://wallacethepitbull.blip.tv/file/147911/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdlh8_p8xQ
mebully21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

taking your dog somewhere for him to run is no
substitute for training.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
AJT

Have you considered a really long lead? I have a 15 ft, 30 ft, and 50 ft lead that I use when we are out on large fields to work on recall and the presumed ability for me to at least catch up to the last 10 ft of the lead if my recall fails.

It's hard with you being in ocean county. You don't have a lot of state parks with hiking trails as much as the north. I head down to you guys to play on the beach. Mind you, most of the complaining about the cold comes from us, the humans, vs the dog. Ava's energy level is higher in the cold. Is Wharton state forest far from you? Great hiking there.

A large fenced in area like a dog park is nice but have you also considered the possibility of getting to the dog park early before a crowd gets there? Granted with the short days in the winter it's a little harder but the cold really cuts down on the spring/summer/fall crowd. I myself take Ava to the dog park around 6:30am after my gym workout before other people arrive.

I'm in central nj ( think Rutgers New Brunswick) so I got some great local parks to go to but I mainly head north for hiking ( Delaware water gap, allamuchy, bear mtn, Harriman, etc.) and south for the doggy beaches.

Have you heard of a flirt pole? Great item to wear a puppy out.
AJT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.