Under developing puppy?? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for getting those photos upright, really appreciate it. I've uploaded another two photos, the first one is literally 10 mins after I got him and the second is about a week after I got him. Wish I had more photos but I was to busy worrying about his health.
Thanks for all your comments guys, all the info is useful.
Also though I'd mention that I got him at around 10 weeks.
Cheers guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Under developing puppy??-photo-1.jpg   Under developing puppy??-photo-4.jpg  
thebigchev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

The pics of when you first got him he looks about 5-6 weeks old. I don't know. My boy didn't want to wean...and didn't want to eat. When I got him at 11 weeks he was just under 18 lbs. He's eaten well for me, and is steadily gaining weight. I think they catch up over time... but I have a hard time with the stated ages in those pics of yours. The pup looks MUCH younger than that in both sets.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Has this puppy's left eye cleared up? He's got drainage from it in almost all the photos?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

He still has drainage from both eyes actually. The vet said it could be an allergy to something.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

I'd be less interested in his current weight, and more in his eating habits, and energy levels since it seems you can't trust the people you got him from.

Also in my experience some vets are great, some are terrible and either not knowledgable or irresponsible or both. Hope you've got more than one opinion on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
MattLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you claim you got him at 10 weeks...the weight you said he was at is really really low, even for a runt. Many times the runts start to catch up as soon as kibble is introduced because there is much less competition for food then. After seeing the other set of pictures I'm convinced he's younger than what you were told. His features just aren't developed like they should be by a certain age and this isn't something that is a problem in runts...runts develop just stay smaller. If he's not eating...he might not like the food that much, but a puppy at that age should just be gobbling whatever you're giving him.

Have you had him checked for all the general puppy stuff? Worms? Parasites? Things like that?
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #17 (permalink)

Hey guys, been awhile. Rocky is doing great after a tough couple of days. I live in Australia and he really struggled during the first couple of hot days after a much cooler spring than normal. He actually collapsed and couldn't move.

I rushed him to the vet as soon as it happened and he came to his senses there. The vet was stumped, he may have fainted but she couldn't put a finger on it. I took him back a couple days later for a routine check up and she was extremely pleased with the way he looked and behaved. We still have no idea what happened to him.
Now a few days later I saw another vet to get a second opinion and to get his final vaccination. He was more than impressed with the way he looked even though he was on the small side.
He's eating fine, drinks plenty of water, is wormed regularly and his poo's are big and solid. I believe he's really healthy now and he weighs just over 8kg's.
Also, all the people at the vet couldn't get enough of him, and I even got a few trade offers thrown my way. Hahaha, I refused Offcourse.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigchev View Post
Hey guys, been awhile. Rocky is doing great after a tough couple of days. I live in Australia and he really struggled during the first couple of hot days after a much cooler spring than normal. He actually collapsed and couldn't move.

I rushed him to the vet as soon as it happened and he came to his senses there. The vet was stumped, he may have fainted but she couldn't put a finger on it. I took him back a couple days later for a routine check up and she was extremely pleased with the way he looked and behaved. We still have no idea what happened to him.
Now a few days later I saw another vet to get a second opinion and to get his final vaccination. He was more than impressed with the way he looked even though he was on the small side.
He's eating fine, drinks plenty of water, is wormed regularly and his poo's are big and solid. I believe he's really healthy now and he weighs just over 8kg's.
Also, all the people at the vet couldn't get enough of him, and I even got a few trade offers thrown my way. Hahaha, I refused Offcourse.
I hope the best for lil ol rocky
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The collaspse was probably near heat stroke or heat exhaustion. BTW your pup looks fine to me.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

Link had trouble with the heat during the summer here, and I'm in Canada! Been to Australia during your cold season (I use the term "cold" loosely), cant imagine its easy in the summer. We had air conditioning but it's cheap and was only in the one room, so every now and then I'd take him into the bathroom and run some cool water over him to keep him more comfortable. And when we went outside he had his puppy pool

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by MattLink; 11-23-2012 at 12:22 PM.
MattLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.