People are afraid of my 11 week old GSD... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
EJQ
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
What do I do about constant barking in his crate? He gets his favorite treats for going in, has his favorite toy, a nice cushion with a blanket. I don't get it. At night he still cries/barks for about 10 minutes before he settles down, but I crate him when I shower (he's a chewer) and he barks the entire time or he'll quiet down for about 20 minutes, then start barking again. I'm in a house so he's not bugging the neighbors, but he just doesn't seem to be warming up to his crate at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
What was the age of your puppy when you brought him home? At 11 weeks he is still very much a baby and you really have to look at him in that way. It's hard to comment on the barking thing without actually seeing him in the action. Many puppies at that age will bark at a stranger because they are fearful (that's true) but you need to study his body language - he might be excited to see new people. My "BB" is a real social butterfly and can't wait to get up close and personal with new people. As far as the crate is concerned, I would back off a bit - meaning - let your puppy know that the crate is his den and his place of security and safety but don't be too surprised if he's not comfortable right away - some dogs take a bit longer to adjust than others. Is his crate of wire or plastic construction? Put his treat and toys etc in the crate but leave the door open. Let him wander in & out on his own. Where does he sleep at night? Put his crate next to your bed for a few nights - let him smell you and hear you breath; it will make him feel a bit more secure.

Sorry I didn't go into tremendous detail but I'm guessing you puppy is quite normal and it sounds like you are the right path but are in need of some help and advice. Good luck and keep asking questions - that's why us "old timers" are here!

AHREN vom Garringer (crossed over December 30, 2011)
B'ELANNA vom FlaglerHaus CGC, SAR (crossed over March 4, 2011)
MISSY (crossed)
MERCEDES (crossed)
DION (crossed)
EJQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

So I took Midnight over to the sports fields by my house and then down to the waterway where there are a lot of restaurants and shops. At the sports field he barked at the first lady, but she was really understanding and complimented him on guarding me, introduced herself to him and he calmed down. He didn't bark at anyone else!!! He wasn't completely comfortable with the waterway, but he did get gushed over a lot. Today I took him with me to go pick up a friend who was dropping off a Uhaul. The people working there came out to look at him and no barking! He even let them pet him, which he hadn't really let anyone do yesterday. I'm feeling a little more hopeful.

Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

There were a couple of people who were mildly afraid of my pup that early, but for the most part everyone showed him a lot of love wherever we went.

30-40lbs later, not so much, but he does get the occasional stranger who will see him and run over to baby him, but they're also fellow dog owners.

I'm guessing they're afraid because he's barking a lot. Not sure what to say about that, other than hopefully he'll grow out of it soon. He's a cute puppy, congrats!

Edit: Just saw your post about him not barking at people anymore, that's awesome. He's coming along great then. Good on you for socializing him as much as you are!
reck0n3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

@reck,

He's doing a lot better with the barking, but he still went nuts at one of my neighbors on our walk last night. I'm going to keep working on it. /

Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have a all black shepherd he barks at people sometimes people dont want to pet him cause he barks but as soon as you put your hand out he is fine and happy .. same thing with dogs usually if the other dog barks first he starts barking so people dnt wanna bring there dogs up to mine but as soon as they meet my dog is fine he stops barking and acts nice
KristenMarino13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.