Dog Park attack scarred my dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dog Park attack scarred my dog?

Hi guys just want to say in advance thank you for all the help you guys have given me over the past couple months of me being on here, some awesome advice I've gotten from here, so here i am asking for your help again.

Odin now is 9 months, since he was 6 months old, he's been running around our local dog park, playing with other dogs in the neighbourhood, ( all extremely friendly and playful, never once had an issue), this morning however, i was with odin playing fetch, and a lady brought her dog into the park, i asked if the dog was friendly she said yes, so I let odin go greet, and as they were circling each other the other dog started barking and attacked odin... bit him on the neck and odin lost it, and started snarling and barking back ( this was NOT playing, that dog was really going after him), I quickly leashed odin and told the lady I was leaving,

So now tonight I brought odin back to the same park, to play fetch, and a lady was walking through the park, and odin ALWAYS ignores people going through the park, and will always come back to me, this time he charged the lady barking at her, completely ignoring me, he didnt touch her just ran up barking, I quickly leashed him and apologized,

My question is were these two events related, what happened? and what should I do now? after he did that i quickly brought him back home.
brandongill1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

His adrenaline was still coursing thru his body from this mornings incident. I would work on training with him away from that park for a few days, take him somewhere else that is fairly busy yet you can stay on the fringe of the activity.
When you do take him back I would expect he will be reactive/his age is playing into it and the experience will still be fresh in his mind.
This is the age when dog parks and GSD's don't really blend well. It was good while it lasted, but maybe time to find other options to exercise him?
Old 11-08-2012, 03:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Seems like a very unrelated thing - he gets jumped by a dog and then later he reacts to a woman (with no dog I assume).

I would tend to treat them as unrelated - being attacked by a dog should have no impact on his reaction to people.

Think about the person - any ideas about why your dog wouldreact that way to a person?
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 03:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Agreed about GSD's and dog parks (usually with many of them!)
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 06:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

the lady he charged in the evening was it the same lady
who's dog he got in a fight with earlier in the day?
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yeah this is very very troubling. Dog aggression and human aggression are two completely separate things. There is absolutely no excuse for running or charging at another person while barking. If you start seeing more of this kind of behavior I would stop going to the park, and never allow your dog off leash until you train him enough to recall him if he does decide to react like this.

I would really focus on training at this point. Your dog is 9 months old and you can really start working on some things with him. I slowed down my dog park time and saw that my dog gained much more focus on me no matter where we are and how many dogs are there. When he was young (your dogs age) we would go all the time and if he saw another dog he'd kind of lose his mind and want to play (even at dog shows).
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.