Doing training myself - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 01:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

I started with Jenna as soon as I got her. Sit for her meal, taking lead on and off etc. She does drop pretty well too. And has really got the hang of a "high 5" of all things.

But we go to puppy preschool, have booked for a puppy playgroup that is just fun and socialization and also a basic obedience course. Great trainer, if you have any issues you can call her any time.

She will do one on one sessions as well. Yep it all costs but I am going to be repaid a million times over in the future with a well behaved girl I can take anywhere.

I can read books, watch DVD's but I want someone watching what I am doing to make sure I'm doing it right. Mistakes are just too hard to undo.
Jenna&Me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 03:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

This may shock some, but I'm not working too much training with Grim yet. He's got 'sit' (not always on the first time, though) and 'down' (again, not always on the first time). I use his name and "come on" when I want him to come with me. I am saving "here" for him to come and sit in front of me. I'm working on marking "watch me". He knows "go eat" and he's grasping "leave it". We're moving in a month or less, and he'll start formal training then. I don't want to have to 'un-train' when I've already worked on... one of the reasons for taking it slow. I also want the 'sit' no matter what's going on and 'down' as well. My Pug is a VERY big distraction for him!
He will eventually go into protection training, so his obedience has GOT to be rock solid. No question about it. His breeder (who does protection dogs) told me from the beginning to form that bond and make it tight. An absolute MUST for this type of work, plus the dog wants to work for you. Grim is food motivated and praise motivated. Our next stop is going to be 'stay'. I just don't want to ram training down his throat right now. He's still a baby and working things out. With previous dogs, I didn't even get into the heavier training until they were older. He's always interested in where I am and what I'm doing. That, to me, is exactly what I want because it will make the more intense training easier. I really suggest you get with a trainer. You'll still be teaching your dog. The trainer's job is actually to teach YOU to teach your dog. I'm super excited to get with this trainer we're going to. I hope you find that kind of trainer where you are.... who is well versed in all kinds of training and really loves the GSD breed!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Dog classes are to teach YOU how to train your dog. If you have a basic understanding of training a dog you don't need to attend classes. You can train and Socialize your dog without having to attend class. However, if you don't have knowledge then I'd recommend to take them. Unless you want to watch countless videos and reading tons of training books.

Schatzi and I only attended 2 classes and we stopped going. I preferred reading books and watching videos on how to train. Plus she has a trainer that comes to the house once a month, so if I have any questions I ask him or ask here. I found it to be more exciting than standing there for an hr just hearing the trainer speak. Schatzi and I got bored after 30 mins of class.

So far she knows her sit, down, stand, left side, right side, come, leave it, stay with distractions. Now, I will start working at home on heeling and then do off leash training. She is only 8 months and I am in no rush.

Last edited by lennoxbradley88; 11-12-2012 at 04:05 PM.
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.