Roo - just shy of 5 months. Text and pic heavy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Roo - just shy of 5 months. Text and pic heavy

All in all, Roo is a fantastic girl but some odd things have started the past couple weeks.

Roo is in obedience class and does really well. I put her in a level 1 class and the trainer was a bit skeptical because of her age, but then said "She is a GSD, she can probably handle it" and handle it she does. She blows those older dogs away hehehe. We have a Newfie, Lab, Standard Poodle, Springer, a skittish boxer and a VERY yappy terrier mix in class. Even with all that Roo keeps her focus on me and doesn't get agitated. So I was very shocked when the other day we were walking and stopped to talk to a friend (who also had her dog with her, a dog which Roo pretty much ignored). Roo laid down while I was talking and waited for me. Then a women came running by with her 2 large dogs (they were jogging at a good pace) and Roo sat up and watched them intently, then all of a sudden started barking like I had never heard. I got her to look at me and put her back in a sit, but I could tell she was agitated. Normally Roo ignores all other dogs when we are out, so it was odd.

Then today we went out of our house to the mailbox when I saw a couple walking their tiny dog (the smallest poodle I have ever seen). I stopped Roo and gave her a sit stay in my driveway (she was on a leash) and we waited for the couple to pass. Turns out the dog was NOT on a leash and soon as it spotted us, it ran towards us. Roo LEPT at the dog and barked. The owners scooped up their dog and ran off. Between these 2 incidents we have walked daily and been to class, and been to Petsmart with no issues. Any thoughts?

She has also started to potty in the house. Roo had gone 6 weeks with NO messes in the house and rings bells at the back door to let us know she has to go out. Heck, the girl can actually OPEN the back door herself (and routinely does). Roo has messed (pee and poo) in the house 4 times in the past 2 weeks. She goes into the formal living room (where we don't spend much time) or the upstairs hallway. I have gated the upstairs again so she can't get up there, but am confused by the regression. The first time I chalked it up to the fact I was busy upstairs and ignoring her but twice someone in the family was by the backdoor and Roo could have asked to go out. We have noticed that Roo does not like to go outside by herself. If one of us or one of the dogs doesn't go with her, Roo will just sit on the patio and not walk onto the grass - even if she had asked to go out.

Roo knows, sit, down, stay, come, paw, and walks well on a leash. She even has worked through her crate issues She now happily spends time in her crate and when we go to leave, we say "kennel" and she will run in (my 6 year old even crates her with ease).

Her ears still not up - one is, but the other one is the leaning tower of pisa Roo still has not lost her baby canines, so I am patiently waiting lol

I am tired of people telling me how skinny she is! Roo is long and lanky, to me a typical shepherd pup. Tell me what you think!

this one cracks me up, same odd position

4th of july girls
Roo - LHGSD pup
Tatonkafamily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I can't offer advise on the potty training....but I ONE HUNDRED PERCENT went through this at five months of age....

We walked on the same track around the hospital every single day from age 8 weeks to five months...then randomly one day Rocky barked at someone...it completely startled me because he had always been so good.

Notice exactly what triggers your dog....small dogs yapping or overweight people, etc. and make sure your dog is around these types of people/dogs MORE. Socialize socialize socialize...you dont want to end up with a fear aggressive dog.

I was embarrassed and AVOIDED these types of people...and it ruined rockys training.
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

I can offer some insight on a few of the issues you brought up; I've worked with quite a few dogs in my town/neighboring towns training them and doing behavioral training.

In your home, it is very likely there was some trigger that set off her trigger. It could be smell, an object, an action, anything really. Did you make sure you clean off her pee scent completely and correct her for her mistake?

As for the dogs, it doesn't sound like she was aggressive barking but more defensive barking. She did not snarl, correct? If someone unknown charges onto your yard, you would be defensive too. The situation sounds similar with the jogging dogs-- two large dogs jogging in her direction, she's probably saying "Hey! You better not try any funny business, I'm warning you!"

See if this happens again with other dogs that run towards her.
Madjukes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 12:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

That is a fantastic coat, what an awesome pup!

And so that this is somewhat constructive, my 5.5 month pup decided to leave me a nice puddle in the middle of the living room right after we went out. She also rings bells to go out, and always comes to get me. Hers was an isolated incident, however. So although I couldn't tell you what was going through her little head, I can offer you another 'me too'!
marbury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys! I am hoping this is all just a phase. The only thing that has changed is that I am NOT working. I took the summer off work because of the kids and dogs. The down side is that Roo isn't subjected to dogs/other animals all the time (I work for a vet). And the weather here has made it hard for walks (over 100 degrees lately). Luckily the weather has broken and we are back to our 2 miles a day. I think that will help, plus I am putting gates back up while we reinforce the potty rules.

I love her coat too I have a special love for long hair gsds. Roo's coat is coming in really nicely (as is her personality). Her sire is Tazzman's Aregon, he carries the longhair gene and was studded out to a longhair. Out of 6 pups, Roo was the only LH. We don't plan on showing, but I hope she ends up as sweet and "purty" as her parents
Roo - LHGSD pup
Old 07-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hah, I have an Aregon daughter too... she has bite problems (overbite). Small world!
marbury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Roo is a great looking pup!!

Kenai - 10 yr old Samoyed Koda - 8 yr old Samoyed
Max - 4 yr old rescue Persian Nita - 01/26/2012 GSD
gmcwife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

can I ask what you feed her? her coat is so shiny!
iloveshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

She is so gorgeous!!! I agree that her fur is super shiny!!!
Also- she doesn't look too skinny to me. Koda is still tiny like that. My friend's 6 month old is built the same way, and people always feel the need to say she's too skinny. As far as I've noticed, most of the people making these comments either don't know much about dogs/the breed, or own heavily overweight dogs. (:
Old 07-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveshepherds View Post
can I ask what you feed her? her coat is so shiny!
After many food changes and issues (2 picky GSD eaters and 1 Rotti with IBS) we FINALLY found a food that works for all 3 and they all LOVE.

Wellness Simple (limited ingredient diet) dry food. I take 1 bag of salmon and 1 bag of duck and pour it in our food bin at one time so it is evenly mixed.

They also get a bit of canned Wellness (1 can split between the 3 dogs).

I had been feeding Acana Pacifica because I could get it through work at a great price, but it kept being on back order so it was hard to get consistently. I tried BB Fish for awhile but recently something was up and it gave all the dogs really bad diarrhea.

I decided to try Wellness Simple - Amazing change! Even our IBS dog is doing great on it, no diarrhea and NO GAS!! Shiny coats, less shedding, good stool and I only have to feed the big guys (90lbs) 2 cups of dry per day.

I tell ya, just the NO GAS from our Rotti is worth every penny!!!
Roo - LHGSD pup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.