Correcting down pasterns? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

thank you all ----
First of all, thanks for giving this dog a chance . She seems a little withdrawn in the picture - but I am sure that with some good food and good care she will come around and be a great family member.

These are not the worst downed pasterns that I have seen.
They don't even look so bad . Huge feet ! Toes look good and it looks like the foot has a good pad . I mention this because a lot of dogs I get to see with downed pasterns tend to also have very long open toed paper thin feet .
She seems under fed , lacking muscle. You can see it on her head which has that clingy look that a dehydrated dog would have. You can see her pelvis and her boney ridge of spine.

If you want to PM me we can look at her complete diet.

Let's start with Vitamin C . When I talk about vitamins it won't be an isolated , synthetic vitamin , but a whole food rich in that particular unit , and accompanied by trace minerals which are necessary for activation (like spark plugs) -quercitin, rutin, bioflavones , enzymes , and co-enzymes . Vitamin C is no more ascorbic acid than Vitamin E is simple alpha tocopherol. Fractionated Vitamin C does not exist in nature .
That it was not as effective as a natural whole Vitamin C was known back in the 1930's when Szent-Gyorgi isolated crystalline ascorbic acid. Two volunteer groups were offered Vitamin C . One group was given the bright white isolate , the other a "dirty" brownish complete C .
Both groups responded . The group that enjoyed the complete synergistic form had far greater positive results.
This was recognized . You can corner a market and sell a drug . You cannot corner the market and control every red pepper, soft fruit berry, food source and be the grocer to the world .
Vitamin C is an anti scorbatic , anti oxidant , anti inflammatory, necessary for the integrity of collagen , ligaments, cartilage, tendons. Collagen is the building block of ligaments and skin .
Dogs are able to create some Vitamin C through their liver . This has long been held as a reason why a dog may not need supplementation with Vitamin C. When stressed through malnutrition, emotional stress, rapid growth , physical exertion , vaccinations that need for Vitamin C may exceed the ability for the body to produce it .
How to provide Vitamin C in the dogs diet through whole food -- rosehip(s) powder, camu camu, red pepper , camu camu, blueberries, raspberries .

MSM - methyl sulfonyl methane -- available as a pure powder or in combination with beneficial glucosamine , chondroitin and sometimes an anti-inflammatory . MSM is necessary for the support of ligament and cartilage . MSM is a sulfur that is found in eggs, sunflower seeds, garlic, beef and poultry.
Glucosamine , already mentioned provides support to ligaments and provides a cushion between joints .
I get pig snouts from the butcher. This is a source of glucosamine .

Silica , available in greens and grasses - nettles, dandelion greens, horsetail (shave grass) etc . is crucial for bones , ligaments,hair, nails, skin, veins .

You are able to go to the store and get these from foods .
Or you can get it in supplemental form already mixed , from "raw" organic or wild crafted whole foods - Feed-Sentials . This also has digestive enzymes, complete, complex whole food vitamin sources , phytonutrients etc.

Carmen
CARMSPACK.com
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

okay , Nancy (Jocoyn) just reminded me in the GMO thread about soup bones. What an excellent way to get gelatin which is collagen and the proteoglycan matrix. This was talked about in Deep Nutrition and Primal Body , Primal Mind ( a paleo type diet book ).
For any animal that has been off with a tender stomach or is dehydrated or you want to mix some extra nutrition into your kibble or meat mix , a bone- broth is excellent.
This goes for human nutrition as well when consome and broth were offered as first foods on the road to recovery.

Take what ever bones you can find -- neck, beef, pork , chicken, turkey - put into big pot , cover with water , bring to boil , and then reduce to simmer. You want to concentrate that juice - so keep on simmer till 2/3's of liquid has evaporated.
*you can use marrow bones - and then toss them out
* you can use a collection of cooked chicken bones , turkey bones -- keep the keel on as this is an excellent source for chondroitin , keep the condoyles on - chondroitin !! you can put them in with the raw bones - they all get tossed in the end.

Remove bones , toss out -- grind (they should be crumbly) and put into garden.

Now you have a nice rich broth. Put into fridge for a day or two to let it really cool and let the gelatine settle. When you take the pot out you will have a skim of fat on tip , just pick it off and remove . The remaining broth , aspic , gelatine, will be like jello.

Add this on to kibble , oatmeal flakes , mix with supplements , mix with your ground meat for the dog.

An outstanding source of nutrition.

Carmen
CARMSPACK.com
Old 05-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
okay , Nancy (Jocoyn) just reminded me in the GMO thread about soup bones. What an excellent way to get gelatin which is collagen and the proteoglycan matrix. This was talked about in Deep Nutrition and Primal Body , Primal Mind ( a paleo type diet book ).
For any animal that has been off with a tender stomach or is dehydrated or you want to mix some extra nutrition into your kibble or meat mix , a bone- broth is excellent.
This goes for human nutrition as well when consome and broth were offered as first foods on the road to recovery.

Take what ever bones you can find -- neck, beef, pork , chicken, turkey - put into big pot , cover with water , bring to boil , and then reduce to simmer. You want to concentrate that juice - so keep on simmer till 2/3's of liquid has evaporated.
*you can use marrow bones - and then toss them out
* you can use a collection of cooked chicken bones , turkey bones -- keep the keel on as this is an excellent source for chondroitin , keep the condoyles on - chondroitin !! you can put them in with the raw bones - they all get tossed in the end.

Remove bones , toss out -- grind (they should be crumbly) and put into garden.

Now you have a nice rich broth. Put into fridge for a day or two to let it really cool and let the gelatine settle. When you take the pot out you will have a skim of fat on tip , just pick it off and remove . The remaining broth , aspic , gelatine, will be like jello.

Add this on to kibble , oatmeal flakes , mix with supplements , mix with your ground meat for the dog.

An outstanding source of nutrition.

Carmen
CARMSPACK.com
Would you recommend adding a cube or two to a healthy puppy's food, if he is raw fed?
Old 05-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

sure - it's all good . Even it you warmed it and added this to the raw food this would be an appetite initiator .

You can pour the liquid into a jar and scoop out with a spoon. Slightly warmed , to liquify, this is an excellent vehicle to put probiotics in and offer prior and after a meal -- add supplements to let them reconstitute and then add to meal.

I forgot to mention that skin - is good to add to broth and then remove .
Old 05-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Kev

About toes that are long and open when moving, what kind of fault does that bring for a working dog? Like what does it prevent it from functioning.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Kev , same as a flat foot -- or you wearing a bad pair of shoes . A flat foot , or harefoot is a fault , and is very important to a dog that needs to cover distance over a long period of time - essential for a herding dog . Those long open toes without padding tend to get damaged , landing after a jump, rapid changes in direction . The flat foot fatigues . Remember that the majority of the dog's weight is carried on the front . Splay feet tend to go hand in hand with ligaments and tendons that are loose .
Old 05-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Did you see these sites?

Downed pasterns and the German Shepherd puppy

Carpal Subluxation Syndrome

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

We have a male that we got when he was about 8-9 months old. We were pretty sure (based on the history) that his pastern issue was due to crating. We changed his diet, added some Vertex and started taking him swimming multiple times every week. I'm happy to say that now at age 3 he is fine. If you really look at him, the pastern is a slightly down compared to most, but we notice it only because we were so worried about it at first.

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Carmen is so brilliant... what a fantastic resource this community has... thank you for making an effort to share your knowledge, Carmen.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 02:37 AM   #20 (permalink)

Wow, thank you all SO much for all of the replies and advice! I have been reading so much about this condition, and as a few of you mentioned, there is just so much conflicting advice that I didn't really know where to start.

Falkosmom, thanks for posting those pictures... It's amazing how much he improved... It gives me hope that my little girl can get better.

Carmen, your assessment of Willow from the picture I posted was totally right. I took the picture the day after we got her... She was VERY scared, completely lacking confidence, and just totally under socialized. The poor girl didn't even seem to know she's a GSD. It's amazing how much she has already transformed in a week. I think having two older German shepherds around to show her the ropes is really helping her. She watches everything they do and copies them... It's absolutely adorable. The ortho vet said the same thing that you did about her lacking muscle. He said all of her joints feel very loose and that there's no muscle to hold everything in place. I don't know what happened in her short past, but when we took her home it was as if she didn't even know how to walk. It was so strange... She didn't know how to walk on different surfaces and would fall. I suspect she was crated and didn't ever get out to develop her muscles and senses. She's already improving but I just don't want to push it, so I've been sticking with low impact exercise, like walking on grass. I would love your advise on supplements and diet. I have been doing a lot of reading and was planning on ordering glucosamine and MSM, but didn't know about the vitamin C. I'll PM you with all the details.

It's so nice to find a message board with people who care so much about their dogs... I have a feeling I'll be posting here a lot
jewel1231 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.