Unneutered male dog in dog park - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 01:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Unneutered male dog in dog park

Its almost about that age where I will slowly bring my male GSD into the dog park. The mornings there are great, about 7-8 people all good owners with a good group of dogs. I was told though if my dog is not neutered it may set off the other dogs? is this true? I only known that un-neutered dogs may become more aggressive to others as they got older. I never heard it will set off other dogs, any truth to this?
Iannotti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't think so- there are several intact males in our training club and their behavior isn't any different than the neutered males. Unless of course there's a female in heat.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Many people will blame their dog being aggressive on that. I don't know how many times I've heard "he doesn't like un-neutered dogs" from other patrons at the park. My question is then "Why do you bring him here then? Do you expect your dog to be the only un-neutered one in the park?" I have a 14 month old who could care less if the dog has balls or not, that is different around females in heat though and he does get defensive over one of his "girlfriends" (they've known each other since he was 2 months old). I have to be pretty vigalent to make sure another dog doesn't challenge him because he isn't one to start a fight, but he will end one.

Do they smell different if they are un-neutered? Probably. But it isn't the only reason dogs "go off." You're going to have a big, strong, dog that is going to challenge the heirarchy of the pack when he enters the dog park, and its going to be up to you to make sure he knows how to handle himself.

How old is your male? We started ours really young and he learned dog park manners before his hormones were an issue.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

My dog is intact, and I've never had any issues with him and other males, and he's always got along with females with no problems. I don't take him to dog parks though, too many things that could happen (not with him being the issue, but other dogs and owners).
There's a dog boarding kennel nearby I emailed to see if they would allow him (I was going away for a weekend) and they said no because he's intact and would create 'tension' in the kennel... I was unimpressed.
jade_14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Many people will blame their dog being aggressive on that. I don't know how many times I've heard "he doesn't like un-neutered dogs" from other patrons at the park. My question is then "Why do you bring him here then? Do you expect your dog to be the only un-neutered one in the park?" I have a 14 month old who could care less if the dog has balls or not, that is different around females in heat though and he does get defensive over one of his "girlfriends" (they've known each other since he was 2 months old). I have to be pretty vigalent to make sure another dog doesn't challenge him because he isn't one to start a fight, but he will end one.

Do they smell different if they are un-neutered? Probably. But it isn't the only reason dogs "go off." You're going to have a big, strong, dog that is going to challenge the heirarchy of the pack when he enters the dog park, and its going to be up to you to make sure he knows how to handle himself.

How old is your male? We started ours really young and he learned dog park manners before his hormones were an issue.

Ace is 15 weeks old, I already brought him into the small dog run area, but those lil dogs are nippy and don't seem to like GSD puppies. I'm going to wait another 1-3 weeks until Ace is a bit bigger before I bring him in the large dog run here.

I'm not sure why they said that, but it seemed odd to me that they said my un neutered male would set off the other dogs...
Old 09-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade_14 View Post
My dog is intact, and I've never had any issues with him and other males, and he's always got along with females with no problems. I don't take him to dog parks though, too many things that could happen (not with him being the issue, but other dogs and owners).
There's a dog boarding kennel nearby I emailed to see if they would allow him (I was going away for a weekend) and they said no because he's intact and would create 'tension' in the kennel... I was unimpressed.

See, there must be something to this if they felt this way. I'm not sure what the real answer is, but sure want to find out!
Old 09-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are dog parks that do not allow intact males.

I've taken Doerak (intact) to dog parks. He was fine, but other dogs didn't like him much. People there told me I shouldn't take an intact male to a dog park. Hmm.

I stopped taking Boaz (intact) when he was about 9 months. He really doesn't like other dogs much anyway.

Camp Bow-Bow daycare does not allow intact males either. I think that might be a trend for daycare.
BlackPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have one intact male who will not tolerate other, large, intact males. He is fine with little poodle types.
Can I walk him thorough Petco? YES.
Would I ever let him off-leash to "play" ......no way in the world.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ozzy's intact and he's never had an issue with other males. He'll be clingy to some of the girls sometimes, but he loves all dogs of every shape and size, intact or not. Other dogs don't seem to have an issue with him either, unless he pees on 'their' pole. In which case, they come right behind him and pee over it. lol
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Both of my males are intact and we attend the dog park. I have to keep a shock collar on Onyx because he can be dominant if not controlled. If the collar is on him he is fine because my controller trumps his dominance. Sonar is more submissive and is just now realizing he is a real boy! lol

Firstly if your dog is dominant and not under control by the owner it doesn't matter if he/she is altered or not, it is all about control. Being intact does highten the need to dominate the pack and be "top dog" but it's not to say that an altered dog wouldn't do the same thing.

I can tell you that Onyx takes more interest in other intact dogs because in his mind he must fight to be "top dog" to insure he is able to reproduce. (not that it will happen but...It's encoded in their DNA.) I just have to watch him closer if another intact dog comes in the park. I assess the other dog and if I feel it will be a conflict (ie the other dog is also showing dominance or the owner is not in control) then I put Onyx in the mini run until I can see how the other dog interacts with the pack. If he is fine then I let Onyx out and just keep an eye on him. He won't attack and avoids contact with the other dog but if he is humped he will defend himself. We have really never had any problems except one dog a 15 month old, intact, 160lbs St Bernard who was completely out of control and didn't listen to anyone. Onyx walked passed him and he mauled Onyx. Ever since then he has had a heightened awareness of other intact males. Can't say I blame him, I also am VERY aware of intact males entering the park now also.

Frosty Onyx Glacier, CGC
Grey/White Siberian Husky (8/29/2005)
suzzyq01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.