Unneutered male dog in dog park - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedtrucker View Post
I guess I didn't say that quite right. I wasn't implying that only the person with the female was responsible. (it is a FACT that many municipalities have stiff fines for a female in heat being outside AT ALL). I am saying that if there is a female in heat, I am going to notice my males behaviour long before he mounts her, and being RESPONSIBLE, I would put a stop to it right away...I actually watch my dog when we are in public.
The fine thing...check out KCK laws...500.00. you can't even let her out to potty. I questioned an officer extensivly about this. You are not allowed to have a female in heat outside AT ALL. Even in your own back yard, on leash, doesn't matter. I had a male camped on my porch and called AC to remove him. That's when I learned it was my own fault legally for taking her out to potty....
Thats Not fair. You can't have a interacted female out but you can have an interacted male free. Even female dogs get the crap end of the stick. I have never heard of that law. It should go both ways not just for females. Males run away and go far to get to a female in heat. They are the ones that seek out the females. So don't let your interacted dog run. I don't care how well trained your dog is hormones are a strong force. It also dose not take long from the deed to be done. Get your dog fixed or keep it on leash.

Last edited by Pepper311; 10-08-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Pepper311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #42 (permalink)

Default Our first experience with a dog park...

Well, this is our story... While we are waiting to close on our house (which is tomorrow, yay!), we have been staying in my mom's tiny one-bedroom apartment. Our GSD, Reese will be one year old Dec. 29th and will be fixed a week from today. With that being said, we weren't all that keen on fixing him before a year old anyhow (just our preference) which ties in with my question coming up.

Due to being in this tiny apartment with our 80 lb. boy, we've had to take him to the dog park to stretch his legs (not only that, my husband works nights, so to let him sleep in the mornings, we have to leave as Reese likes to play with my mom's little maltese and they can get noisy! ).

We've been taking Reese to the park for a week now and he LOVES LOVES LOVES IT. He's a big fat WUSS, which is great. He plays great with little dogs, big dogs, you name it. He's somewhat wary of people, so when they try to pet him, he shies away. Not always, but most of the time.

So, the other day, he kept trying to mount this poor beagle. No idea who the owner was, they probably, obviously didn't care, but I don't leave my GSD unattended in the park EVER (nor does he leave us!), so I was constantly working to correct him. He wouldn't stop, so we I just re-focused him elsewhere and went along our way.

Come to today, an owner brought their pitbull. Who by the way, was doing just fine, but Reese continually made attempts to mount him and shadow him (this pit was neutered). Unlike the beagle, this pit was correcting him. Not too rough, just enough to say BACK OFF. Both the owner and I were working to keep Reese off. But, she kept saying that the only reason my dog was mounting her dog was because he wan't fixed.

She was agitated and I don't blame her. I really was trying to do my best and be sensitive and correct my own dog, but she eventually ended up leaving (not sure if it was all because of my dog, she had been there a while and when we first got there, the dogs did play some. I don't want to give the impression that she left in a huff over it).

So, out of the seven days we've been there, this has happened twice out of the nearly 100 other dogs he has played with. All the dogs unknown to him and he's done really great.

My question is, is this TRULY a correctable behavior? If you think of it, nobody knows the future. We can't say 100% whether neutering will fix the problem (many, many people say it's a dominance thing, neutered or not), no one is going to know that till he's fixed. If he stops, GREAT. If he doesn't, what is the proper mode of correction? When he tries, he's really determined if you know what I mean . Is there another way other than leaving the area, or park altogether? We really like going there.

Other than that, Reese is a speciman of a GSD in MHO

Last edited by Joyb0218; 11-20-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Joyb0218 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #43 (permalink)

Joyb, this is just my anecdotal experience with one dog, but my dog was neutered at age 2.5. He was with a foster family for about 2 weeks before we got him and he was neutered two days before he came home with us. They said that he was very friendly with all dogs, but he would try to mount their female and other dogs and he would "flex his muscles" with other males. I was a little worried about both these things, but he has never done either of these things in the time he's been with us. Never once tried, even though he's been around lots of dogs. I think it must be because he was neutered.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 11-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #44 (permalink)

Hi Sue!

Thank you for your comment. That gives me hope! Especially with your dog being 2.5 yrs. at neuter. We are hoping that it stops, but you know how it is... you just never know!

After being in this tiny apartment, we are moving to a farm. That will be a WHOLE new experience. I'm now researching how I can best train him to be around horses. Should be fun! So, I'm going to be on this board A LOT.

Thanks again.

--Joy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.