Overbite - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Overbite

Well Cruiser is now 5 1/2 months old and had him at the vet today for I little ear infection...I have been concerned about his mouth as he has quite an overbite so inquired about it and apparently his bottom teeth are hitting the roof of his mouth...the vet says we need to keep an eye on it as it could mean problems to come. What I don't understand is how can this happen when I researched breeders, travelled to the states to buy this pup, checked his pedigree...all KK1 breeding ( no faults).. Or so I thought. AND paid alot of money for him. I have informed the breeder so will see what they say. It's not like we can exchange him.....I am very disapointed.
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Maybe you can get some braces on him? I would do so if it is possible. I wish I'd had Kacie at teething age so I could have helped her severe underbite alignment.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

There is a good chance that this isn't something that could have been controlled no matter the breeding. I can understand being upset about it, but I don't think that your breeder is sabotaging you with bad bloodlines.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Did he have the overbite when you bought him? How much is the space between upper and lower jaw when his mouth is closed?

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 10:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

I dont think he did....at least it wasnt as obvious. It is just under 1/2 inch...I can put my middle finger right in between the upper and lower. We checked him out really well when we got him and I am sure I would have noticed. I understand there is still some time for his mouth to grow....we will see what happens. I also understand stuff happens just worried about him.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

It is just upsetting, our other two shepherds also had lots of problems too.....so now I will worry about this one too.....
Old 08-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Last I researched, the upper jaw can grow faster than the bottom jaw; thus some puppies can have an overbite until they are done growing. If it doesn't go away by time he's 12 months it probably never will... however, I have seen overbites completely correct themselves with time.

Feeding a food that is too high in protein may cause this problem (though I'm not sure that's ever been 'proven')
The birds: Dante - CAG / Nero and Sunshine - Budgies
e.rigby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
Well Cruiser is now 5 1/2 months old and had him at the vet today for I little ear infection...I have been concerned about his mouth as he has quite an overbite so inquired about it and apparently his bottom teeth are hitting the roof of his mouth...the vet says we need to keep an eye on it as it could mean problems to come. What I don't understand is how can this happen when I researched breeders, travelled to the states to buy this pup, checked his pedigree...all KK1 breeding ( no faults).. Or so I thought. AND paid alot of money for him. I have informed the breeder so will see what they say. It's not like we can exchange him.....I am very disapointed.
Did Cruiser's bit correct itself in time? Thanks!
LynnPritchard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.