German Shepherds Forum banner

How much does your puppy weigh?

117K views 529 replies 349 participants last post by  Lesber2004 
#1 ·
I am curious to see how much your puppies weigh. Ares is 70lbs and almost 7 months. Oddly I looked up what the breed standard is and a growth chart. it said that at 12 months they should weigh around 76 lbs (male) 64 lbs (female). This doesn't seem right. There is no way he will only gain 6 lbs between now and 12 months. Boy o Boy. Can an overly large GSD not be in shows if they are not a certain weight? When do they stop growing?

#2 ·
My male, Stosh, is just at 6 mos old and weighs 65 lbs- I agree with you, he's going to gain a lot more than 11 lbs by the time he's a year. He's been gaining 2 or 3 lbs a week lately so yours sounds on the same track as mine. Stosh is definitely not overweight at this size

#3 ·
Ares is not either. I just seems from what I have read on ppls posts that their GSD gets bigger then the norm. Don't get me wrong, I like bigger dogs. I Just always thought the norm was for them to get around 100 for males and then I read that the standard is around 80. I think the bigger the better as long as it is healthy weight and does not cause health problems. Besides it is more to love on. : )

#207 ·
To make a statement such as, "the bigger, the better" on this forum is a big no-no here. However, when we selected our GSD, we chose the biggest dog out of the litter, his paws where huge. And believe me he grew into them, he weighs 115 now at 2 years old. We have no intention of showing him or anything else, he is just our pet. An excellent watch dog. We love our big boy. Yesterday a lady pulled her car over to the curb when I was out with him on a walk and said, That is the biggest German Shepherd I have ever saw! Initially I just stared at her because after reading comments on this forum, I wasn't sure if she meant that as an insult, but then she went on to say, And the most beautiful one I have ever saw to. I am not saying that bigger is better, and no he is not in the breed standards, but he is an AKC German Shepherd and he owns my heart!

#5 ·
I think you might be surprised. Argos was an early grower. At 6 months he was about 63 lbs. 7 months 72lbs. And then he pretty much stopped. At 3.5 years he's only 85lbs.

What is important is not necessarily the weight when showing. It's the height. Most GSDs of proper height cannot get above 90lbs without being overweight. (Even the DDR dogs built like tanks!)

The weight charts take you to 76lbs at a year because it's anticipated from there that they will put on a little more weight filling out. You're right. The majority of Male GSDs are right around 80-85lbs. Females seem to trend more towards 65-70lbs. A 100lb GSD is a BIG dog and likely over standard.

#6 · (Edited)
Bigger isn't better, believe me!
I have a 93# female and she is not fat, and full of muscle, but her agility is lacking. She has been fed raw since 6 months and has had three bouts of Pano. Genetics are her cause,(American lines-not show but pet/W.German working blend) I'd much rather have a smaller, more agile GSD. Onyx gained average of 3# a week as well before she hit 1 yr old. She is now three and managing her weight, muscle-tone.
I cringe as she ages, how hard it will be to keep her trim with her structure.

#7 ·
I read that their weight gain starts to slow down at this age, but his father was around 105...atleast that is what the breeder said. I have a hard time judging weight on dogs. I also did not really pay attention to the father. He was really protective so we didn't get as close to him as we did the female. I just have always like bigger dogs. I guess that makes sense though that their agility would lack if they weighed too much.

#154 ·
Abby was 60 pounds at 8 months (see album), she is now 66 pounds at 20 months. She only grew 1/2 inch since then.

#9 ·
My boy is about 90 right now at 10 months. His father was 120 and his mom was 90.

If they're too tall they can't be shown in conformation, but can show in any performance events. There's no breed standard for their weight though so that doesn't matter. :)

#11 ·
Yeah, Frag was gaining 10lbs a month up until he turned 9 months. Now he's evening out and slowing down.

#15 ·
Zeva is 55lbs at 9 mos old. She's been 55 lbs for at least a month now. She's at a good weight for her size. She's tall, but lean overall. Always has been. She'll gain some more I'm sure, but I don't think much. She's not gonna go anywhere near the 80lbs I thought she'd be. Shes perfect now, but everyone tells me she's skinny... what the **** do they know?

#18 ·
Elvis is 11 weeks old and weights exactly 20 lbs. He eats Orijen LBP so I know he eats good food but I'm keeping his weight a little lower during the hot Phoenix summer. He's not getting as much exercise as I'd like because it's so very hot ... heck, at 11pm last night, it was still 104 degrees. Plus, I'd rather keep him slightly underweight versus over weight during his younger months. He would eat more if I gave it to him but I'm feeding him 4 times per day for a total of 3 to 3 1/2 cups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.