Spaying & Growth question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Spaying & Growth question

I just took Grace to the Vet for her continued puppy shots and the Vet wanted to set up an appointment for her to be spayed. Grace is currently 5 months and 1 week old, she weighed in at 44 lbs and is about 21" tall and about 26-27" long but she still seems small and looks to still have a bit of growing to go. The vet said that this maybe as big as she will get!! and that she may grow more but usually after spaying they will grow even slower.

Just wanted to find out if anyone else had a experience with spaying affecting growth?

Ive been reading on everyones pups at 5-6 months and Grace seems to be on an average pace to be about 60lbs range and her height seems to be average also with others here. The way they vet talked this was "it" for her growth!and that I should go ahead and get her spayed. I would rather wait on the spaying and let her go through her first year or so if the spaying will affect her growth.

Also this was not my usual vet,she was a replacement for mine that had called in sick.
gen1runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Spaying & Growth question

Statistically, dogs that are spayed before puberty can end up being about half an inch taller than dogs that are spayed afterward, but not always. It doesn't stunt or slow their growth anyway, so she's wrong about that. However, the real issue is that a GSD at 5 months is NOT full grown! My guess is that the vet was unaware that the larger the breed of dog, the longer it takes them to reach full size. A toy breed dog is near his or her adult height at 6 months or so but a giant breed dog can still be growing at 2 years. Sounds like you've got a nice pup there! Don't let the vet stress you out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pupresq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hi Ryan, I have had many female GSDs and had them all spayed at 7 months old, I think 5 months is to young, other people on here believe you should wait till after the first heat, I have never done that. I think 7 month is a good age. All my females grew to be the average standard height and weight as adults. They all were around 75 pounds. I have my vet records for Bella and at 5 months she weighed 50 pounds and last time she was at the vet she weighed 72 pounds back in June at 14 months. Your Grace will still grow, I think their height grows till around 7 or 8 months old then slows down.
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
HeidiW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Doc
Knighted Member

A recent study on rotties indicate a higher risk of certain cancers in female dogs if they are spayed "early". I would wait until the dog had two or three heat cycles. or after her 2nd year. JMO
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
HTS

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html
HTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

To the OP - please search the archives and check the primary literature (read the actual studies - not people's interpretations of them) if you're thinking about waiting after a heat or two to spay. There is a lot of debate about this issue as well as a lot of misinformation. The article above is a good example - it uses false citations and makes bogus claims but a lot of people don't know and it gets posted here a lot. It is NOT a good basis for a decision either way.

There's a better review of the issues that Laura Sanborn did. She's not a pro spay/neuter person in general but even she concludes that for female dogs the risks of spaying early are probably less than the risks of waiting.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Doc
Knighted Member

Altering male or female animals should be done later in their life than early. As the horse people. I am sure you can find all sorts of references for both sides of the debate. Ask the folks who followed the advice of early spaying when they are battling incontinence in their older dogs. Or being told their dog has a cancer that may stem from being altered too soon. Be sure you make it a point to read both sides and to weigh the risks.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Mandalay Send a message via Yahoo to Mandalay

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Ryan Just wanted to find out if anyone else had a experience with spaying affecting growth?
Mandalay was about 5 months when she was spayed. I had just had the baby and we were going on vaca to take her to visit my DHs family in FL and I was boarding Mandi with a woman that kept the dogs in her home and I did not want her to go into heat while she was there and have an "accident" and the lady preferred that she be spayed anyway, so I did it.

I would say that it definitely did NOT make her smaller. She will be 2 January 29th and she is 80 lbs and 26.5".
Mandalay, GSD, CGC, DOB 01-31-08
Mazy, White Boxer, DOB ? Sometime in 2010 we think
Mandalay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:Ask the folks who followed the advice of early spaying when they are battling incontinence in their older dogs. Or being told their dog has a cancer that may stem from being altered too soon.
Or you could ask the people who are battling/have lost dogs to cancer that the dogs got because they waited to spay! It's hardly a clear cut issue, especially not when it comes to cancer risk.
Quote:
Quote: Be sure you make it a point to read both sides and to weigh the risks.
And make sure you're reading the primary literature - the actual studies - not other people's interpretations.

But if the question is just "will spaying now make my dog smaller?" the answer is no.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

the evidence on mammary cancer is compelling enough, imo, that if one is not going to wait until the dog is done growing, then it should absolutely be done before the first heat.

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
roxy84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.