Proper Exercise for puppies - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 08:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Re: Proper Exercise for puppies

I too have read and wondered about restricted exercise, but I trust my breeder and she said to let Zuzu do what she could, and let her rest when she was tired. I did and still do avoid paved roads, but at an early age, she was going on long off-leash strolls in the woods, learning to swim and playing with other pups.

She rarely slowed down during a walk or romp, but would snooze in the car and be pooped at home before recharging her batteries. we also played on playground equipment to get her used to surfaces and unfamiliar objects. She loved it all.

She started the carpeted stairs at about 9 weeks, slowly.

Now at five months, she's fit, muscular and has amazing stamina. She runs and runs on the beach after birds, swims like an otter and is calm and happy the rest of the day---mostly.

I'm lucky to have access to great off-leash areas to romp, not sure what I'd do without them!

Aik vom Haus Gold "The Rock" Age 11

Zuzu--gsd DOB 4-21-09. Naughty n' nice

Lucy, Black GSD 2/1997-12-25-2008.
" T'was Heaven with you Here."

Dweezil, WGSD. RIP, 13
Moon, WGSD. RIP , 12
Shining found treasures both.

lucymom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JenniferDI too have read and wondered about restricted exercise, but I trust my breeder and she said to let Zuzu do what she could, and let her rest when she was tired. I did and still do avoid paved roads, but at an early age, she was going on long off-leash strolls in the woods, learning to swim and playing with other pups.

She rarely slowed down during a walk or romp, but would snooze in the car and be pooped at home before recharging her batteries. we also played on playground equipment to get her used to surfaces and unfamiliar objects. She loved it all.

Now at five months, she's fit, muscular and has amazing stamina. She runs and runs on the beach after birds, swims like an otter and is calm and happy the rest of the day---mostly.

I'm lucky to have access to great off-leash areas to romp, not sure what I'd do without them!
Sounds like your pup and mine are on the same exercise regime. And both doing just fine!!!
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLee
Quote:
Originally Posted By: JenniferDI too have read and wondered about restricted exercise, but I trust my breeder and she said to let Zuzu do what she could, and let her rest when she was tired. I did and still do avoid paved roads, but at an early age, she was going on long off-leash strolls in the woods, learning to swim and playing with other pups.

Sounds like your pup and mine are on the same exercise regime. And both doing just fine!!!
Same here.

elisabeth_00117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

wish i saw this thread when Josie was a pup pup. My breeder did tell me, no stairs, no jumping no excessive exercise like taking the puppy out for a walk around the block. Although i did break the rule and had Josie walking in a nice easy pace around 1 block. Let her sniff the world etc.. But i did restrict her jumping. I got so worried when she kept jumping off the deck when she was playing with my husband's aunt's lab. They both ran on the deck and jumped right off and i had to keep telling Josie to stay off the deck! lol.
Josiebear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default An update

Here's Glory B at 10 months old, apparently surviving all the exercise As well as a guest appearance by Bretta Lee who's turning 6 and raised the same!

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
Old 03-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

I've always thought as much exercise as they wanted is fine, just let them stop when they want. And that it was best to avoid a lot of running on pavement and unnatural hard surfaces. Even for adult dogs (and people) pounding pavement can put a lot of wear and tear on joints. In other words: off leash at a park until puppy doesn't want to run around anymore = good natural exercise, jogging miles on pavement = bad exercise . . . ?
and the cats
Snickers (DSH tortie)
Jake (DLH tuxedo blk & Wht)
Melgrj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgrj7 View Post
I've always thought as much exercise as they wanted is fine, just let them stop when they want. And that it was best to avoid a lot of running on pavement and unnatural hard surfaces. Even for adult dogs (and people) pounding pavement can put a lot of wear and tear on joints. In other words: off leash at a park until puppy doesn't want to run around anymore = good natural exercise, jogging miles on pavement = bad exercise . . .
That's a good way to put it.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I agree. I didn't get a video camera until Halo was close to a year old so I have pictures, but no video of her running around at the park. Because she tried SO hard to keep up with Keefer I had to keep reminding my hubby to not throw the ball as much or as far as we usually did because we didn't want her to run that hard when she was really little. Swimming is great exercise because it's low impact. She started going to Point Isabel at 15 weeks old, here she is a few weeks before her first birthday:

Last edited by Cassidy's Mom; 03-01-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

what about dirt roads? is it ok for them to run on it?. I take Josie down to the country road alot off leash and she loves it, she'll run on her own then stops when she wants to and walks whatever pace she wants to etc.
Josiebear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Yes, that's fine - as long as she can be free to pace herself and stop as she is doing when getting tired.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.