German Shepherds Forum banner

New bylaw in Toronto, Canada

12K views 110 replies 31 participants last post by  Dalko43 
#1 ·
Not sure how to post a document, but here is part of the new bylaw:

No more trips into Toronto with my girls (goodbye Woofstock), as they wear prong collars when out and about.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This is concerning, especially if it starts filtering down to other municipalities. It seems like the bylaw slipped in under the radar. I wonder how much research was done prior to passing it, and how slanted that research might have been? Clear cases of dog abuse aside, I question whether government should be telling people which types of equipment they can use in training and handling their dogs?

#4 ·
According to a December news article: "The new by-law will take effect on March 1, 2017. Anyone found guilty of an offence under the new by-law could face fines of up to $100,000."

Reactions: squerly
#5 ·
The 9-page document states that "every person who contravenes any provision of this chapter is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of no more than $100,000." Not sure who would enforce it.

#8 ·
Parts of the bylaw make sense. It's hard to imagine having to tell someone NOT to tie out their dog with a choke or prong collar. But banning certain collars altogether? Someone has overstepped their bounds and sense of reason when it comes to understanding how some of these tools work.

#9 ·
Prong collars are banned in lots of places. I don't agree with it, but maybe it's proven to be a problem or caused injury due to lack of education on the collars?

#13 ·
From what I've read, this is only a small part of the bylaw. It is also prohibiting the use of leashes longer than 6 feet. That impacts anyone who wants to teach a recall or track in a public area with a long line. I don't live in Toronto, thankfully, but I can see other municipalities adopting similar laws in the future.

#15 ·
I have to take a moment to appreciate this forum and the fact that people here are not 'dog moms' who think everything forceful is abuse. Bad experiences with dogforums.com

Any training tool can be used wrong and in a harmful way. Head haltis can cause spine damage. Harnesses can rub skin raw. Pull your dog around hard enough with a nylon collar and yeah it hurts them.
It's not illegal to spank your dog, but it is illegal to beat your dog. Similarly, the law should be against people who use excessive force, not specific tools that are shown to be effective and humane training tools.

#16 · (Edited)
I saw that coming.

people without a clue .

was asked to attend a festival as a representative for animal wellness and "natural care " (species appropriate raw feeding) , first and second year.

the attendees were more or less within a similar age group - dietary selective (vegetarian / vegan )

well the first year I was swarmed at my booth .

very hostile to ANY dog or pet ownership --- they wanted the dogs to run free -- self determine their own social lives

second year the same ---
the organizers were pet dog owners who did feed raw (which I provided for them at "market")

they were themselves surprised . I was asked by them to participate .

in some cultures that is the norm --- necessitating Russians having to make-disappear packs of street-dogs prior to the Olympics

or the norm in some Caribbean countries where the entire community hands out dinner left overs to roaming "POT" dogs

or in South America where dogs are shot because there are so many of them on the street

what they want is child-dogs , fur-kids with clothing, and perfume, and bandanas --- PERSONAL fulfillment dogs , which is so terribly unfair and has no understanding of the dog needing to be an animal and a dog .

not good

#17 ·
This was done very quietly.
I pay attention to the news.
Prong collars are available in any petstore, and I see plenty of healthy happy dogs walked on them. There hasn't been a rash of abuse cases involving prongs or e-collars or long line, at least none I can think of.
I currently have a 40lb dog, and he's got some training now, so we're fine (I plan to take him on TO beach date in summer) but this bylaw might end up sending some perfectly fabulous dogs to an untimely trip to the rainbow bridge.
I guess Torontonian's will just have to torture their dogs with halti's and bore them to death on a 6' leash. :-(

#21 ·
I understand that they are doing this to try and crack down on animal abuse but this is completely ridiculous, even more so proven with the $100,000 possible fine. Why not just give super harsh fines and sentences for people that are actually abusing animals or misusing prongs/choke collars? The direction that the US, Canada, and most of Europe's government is going with all these nanny laws really concerns me. If you keep taking away people's freedom of choice they will not be able to make educated choices for themselves anymore.

#22 ·
(sigh) every tool we use on a dog functions with aversion at some level. Flat collar, harnesses (which are originally make pulling easier), halters are all work by making it uncomfortable for the dog not to follow the human on the other end of the leash. I wonder how many of those folks who wrote this law even own a dog bigger than a cat.

#23 ·
all those people who invested so much time and energy in drafting and passing this by law should have looked to resolving some of the human issues first ---- people living rough , sleeping on ventilation shafts - some never to see the next sunrise. That is not humane .

wearing a collar is not an abuse nor inhumane.

Metro Toronto has a very fine police k9 unit .

are these dogs included ?

#24 ·
Halties and Gentle Leaders are the worst. Don't people in this city complain? Vote idiots out of office? Why are people sitting on their hands and taking it? Are dogs allowed off leash anywhere?

Be prepared, it's going to come here too. Then after that, any breed that can't be controlled in every situation without a metal training collar will be eliminated. Then all large dogs. Eventually, the only dogs people will be allowed to own will be tiny dogs.

#26 ·

I don't think anyone knows. It was probably amended and voted on in council, and not discussed outside.

I'm wondering when the trainers and owners who use these tools will find out? When they get slapped with a fine? It's just not news--yet.

#29 ·
This law is a little bit...ridiculous i mean is it me or a martingale collar does the same think as a choke chain? Chokes the dog right? What about slip leads? They function choking the dog as well are they banned?
Now K9 Units...I know in the UK they do not use such tools which I think they are doing a good job if they keep sending dogs out there and if they do not use such tools illegally I'm freaking amazed then.
Now... E-collars....I don't see any electronic collar on that ban... I really wonder now if people will purchase this e-collars and use them without know how to handle such tool....
Dogs who are waiting to be adopted and dogs who will be dumped cause people keeps getting the wrong trainers...no matter what tools they better keep focused or tons are going to pay bc of them.

Overall for me this law do not make sense the only part that makes sense is DO NOT TIE YOUR DOG with a freaking prong or choke chain but...c'mon is common sense right?

#30 ·
This law is a little bit...ridiculous i mean is it me or a martingale collar does the same think as a choke chain? Chokes the dog right? What about slip leads? They function choking the dog as well are they banned?
Now K9 Units...I know in the UK they do not use such tools which I think they are doing a good job if they keep sending dogs out there and if they do not use such tools illegally I'm freaking amazed then.
Now... E-collars....I don't see any electronic collar on that ban... I really wonder now if people will purchase this e-collars and use them without know how to handle such tool....
Dogs who are waiting to be adopted and dogs who will be dumped cause people keeps getting the wrong trainers...no matter what tools they better keep focused or tons are going to pay bc of them.

Overall for me this law do not make sense the only part that makes sense is DO NOT TIE YOUR DOG with a freaking prong or choke chain but...c'mon is common sense right?
Actually, no. A martingale is not a correction collar at all. I prefer the kind that has a little chain on it because the dog will hear the chain and correct their position.

The martingale works more like a prong collar -- same set up, minus the prongs. So when it tightens, it tightens around the neck, and not just a pressure point. It only tightens to a certain point and prevents the dog from slipping the collar, if the dog is backing up, afraid of something, whatever.

Any tool can be abused, ill fitted, etc. But the martingale is less likely to be abused by a heavy-handed trainer than a prong collar or choke chain.

A choke chain or slip lead, will continue to tighten until there is no more room whatsoever. If a dog gets stuck in one, the will turn around and around and shut off their windpipe and strangle to death. Some trainers used to hold a dog up, or tie a dog up with a choke until they were unconscious, this was choking out a dog. And yes, damage to windpipes was found in dogs using this type of collar.

Used correctly, one can train effectively with one. But half the owners and even groomers can't even put it on correctly -- yes, it makes a difference. On correctly the chain stays relaxed, and used correctly the chain is relaxed and tightened only momentarily, to provide communication to the dog, and immediately relaxed again. It is a training collar and only a training collar and should be removed from the dog when not training.

One can leave a martingale on a dog. Any collar can get stuck on something and cause injury and even death. A martingale is no more or less dangerous than a flat collar. Not true of the choke-chain.

Some call a martingale a "humane choke." I wish they wouldn't because it is completely false. Choking is never humane. It would be more correct to call it a humane prong, but that implies that prong collars are inhumane, and that it implies that the martingale is a training collar. It is not.

I use a flat collar for tags when we go out, and a martingale for the leash. If we aren't leaving the property, my dogs run naked. It is the most safe.

Reactions: Chip18
#31 ·
As a dog owner, competitor, club member, co-creator who resides in Ontario and visits Toronto often (sometimes weekly) I am shocked, disappointed and extremely angry.

I will be rallying with others to see this repealed.

All Canadians, friends at the border should be seeking out the petition (I will link it once I am at my computer) to sign, writing letters to our MPs and council, etc.

This is just another step in the wrong direction.... It's going to snowball....This is just the start of this propaganda.

Please take the time to help!

#53 ·
As a dog owner, competitor, club member, co-creator who resides in Ontario and visits Toronto often (sometimes weekly) I am shocked, disappointed and extremely angry.

I will be rallying with others to see this repealed.

All Canadians, friends at the border should be seeking out the petition (I will link it once I am at my computer) to sign, writing letters to our MPs and council, etc.

This is just another step in the wrong direction.... It's going to snowball....This is just the start of this propaganda.

Please take the time to help!

I will most definitely sign the petition. Please do post the link when you can.

Reactions: Chip18
#33 ·
I've been reading more, does not appy to police, no other exemptions.

It pretty much was snuck through. Originally the ban was on using choke or prong on a tethered dog--I can't imagine disagreeing with that. Most of bylaw 102 2017 makes sense.

A group dog walk, anyone? I'm not sure if my guy is ready (shy) but I'm sure many are. It would risk fines, of course. What do the TO IPO folks think? They train mostly outside the city, (3 clubs near me) but there must be members who live in TO?

#34 ·
From friends in the immediate area or those like me who travel into the city for work most weeks means that we are risking a fine if we want to get together to train or those who need to use it in the city for extra control.

Frustrated, shocked are good words to use from the IPO community I have spoken too.

#37 · (Edited by Moderator)
There is pretty much no difference in sensation to a prong (assuming you didn't sharpen the points and a martingale except the martingale isn't as good at even distribution of pressure all the way around the neck.)

They do not pinch and they do not poke. They call it a pinch collar because you pinch the links together to take it off and put it on. To get those prong points to piece skin you have to basically helicopter the dog or yank it so hard it knocks the dog off its feet even if you used the 2.23 mm small version with extra links. The law is senseless.

*** Removed by ADMIN - political ***

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.