German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkansas police officer killed, another wounded, K9 wounded and missing

4K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  Castlemaid 
#1 ·
Any updates on this?

These folks and their families need our prayers.

#3 ·
We are living in crazy times and my thoughts are with police officers daily. They have a tough job to do and their lives matter too. I might not always agree with things they do or don't do, but I do respect them.

Reactions: Daisy&Lucky's Mom
#8 ·
I am so sick and so angry about all of these attacks on our LEOs. Our society has become utterly lawless.

I can't even bear to think about that poor wounded dog.
I don't think this one was a targeting-the-LEO-type attack. I think it was domestic violence, which tend to be some of the more dangerous calls LE have.

Glad the dog has been found alive. I hope he/she makes it.

#6 ·
#20 ·
I've never thought about our dogs being at risk because they are GSDs. I know that a lot of people assume the breed in general are police dogs, do it makes sense that the crazies in this world would have this thought process.

#21 ·
I just read about the officer in Atlanta, is that the one? Father of three, birthday would have been tomorrow? Gets out of his car and gets shot?

There is such a serious lack of respect for life in general. These people just don't care. I do not understand how someone can walk up to someone and just shoot them, what are they thinking? We're they ever taught anything? I just don't get it.

#24 · (Edited)
I think it's a series of damaging events that happen to the people who take the wrong path in life. The way someone is raised- parents have a very huge role to play in this, people that they surround themselves with and most importantly an individual's perseverance/resilience are what negate what path in life the person chooses. Violent acts filled with anger create a dangerous domino effect just a acts of kindness create a positive domino effect.

#25 ·
My thoughts and prayers are w/ all LEO's and their families but especially those who have lost loved ones in the service of their community.. As Zetti or some one said they are our thin line of protection that allows us to function as a society. It is scary. Never thought about our GSD and the association w/ LEO's. I'm proud of having a GSD however never thought about the risk. Charlie is in our backyard and in our neighborhood GSDs are somewhat common .Hopefully that will keep her safe.

Reactions: Slamdunc
#31 ·
I don't know if I'm angry, sad, or just disturbed by all this stuff. It's probably a little bit of all of it. People need to let go of the past and move forward. Anger and bitterness gets no one anywhere. There are opportunities galore for minorities, especially when it comes to education. It can be pretty much free and yet no one takes advantage of it. As a taxpayer I would much rather see my money go toward grants/scholarships for school then to support criminals in jail. A good percentage of them would not be in jail if they chose the right path instead of the streets. Welfare? Well you can get it, but you get no more if you have more kids and have a lifetime of 5 yrs for benefits--it's not there to support for life, but meant to help people better themselves and gel move forward. If someone is collecting welfare and sitting home doing nothing I do not feel sorry for them, it's a choice they made. This is what kids are seeing today. They don't have to earn anything, if they want something they go steal it and even kill for it. Then if parents do discipline their kids, police get involved and the parents get in trouble. This just happened with a woman that caught 3 of her kids robbing a neighbor. She got the belt out and gave it to them--end result? She got thrown in jail.

Reactions: ausdland
#33 ·
Josh and Jagger, welcome to the forum. There is a lot of good training, husbandry and general information on this forum. The trick is to skim the threads and see what posts or posters catch your eye. If the poster seems to offer good common sense information or has actual experience in the area you are looking for help or need info in, then pay attention and ask questions.

Remember, this is the internet and any one can be an expert on anything from the safety of their keyboards. This is really prominent in some of the threads regarding police work. I rarely post in these threads, but I do read them periodically. It can be very enlightening to see where some folks stand on certain issues and these threads often give some good insight into some folks. I make a mental note of those that have vastly differing opinions to myself, especially those that spew them with out any factual information or experience.

The bottom line is; this is an excellent forum for exchanging information about our dogs. Like any forum, there is a microcosm of society and all of us will never agree about everything.

Don't let the anti police sentiment that some have bother you, conversely don't the let the folks that support our LEO's bother you, if you don't agree. Simply, find a thread on dogs that you like and participate there. Ignore, the stuff that you don't like and enjoy the forum. There is plenty of topics here for everyone to find something to participate in.

#36 ·
Thanks Slamdunc. I don't think it's the pro or against either side that saddens me. I think it's the lack of compassion and willingness to listen. These are all lives and a uniform or badge doesn't make one more important than another. It was stated "criminals are a little dumber than you think" and then in reference: disadvantaged inner city youth and neighborhood kids. So those are the "criminals" used as examples of criminals. I think we all have a duty to "each one teach one"...instead of posting on forums about their criminality because they don't know.
But I also think that just like everyone rolls their eyes at the mother who gets on tv talking about how great and loving her son was when he has a rap sheet the length of a Harry Potter book the law enforcement community should collectively roll their eyes when an officer pulls up to a kid in the park and fire on him within seconds.
And yes, we know..."he feared for his life". But if he is so afraid of his life then MAYBE law enforcement isn't the career for him. MAYBE he should take advantage of of those grants/scholarships and such and do something different. Because as a tax payer, i too would much rather pay for him/her to be getting an education than be on the street with a license to kill. I think it is just common sense that the human officers be required to have the same temperament and nerve that we require of our canine officers. Nobody with any common sense condone condones the death of an innocent person. But that should go both ways.

#37 · (Edited)
I can speak from both sides. I grew up in the City of Chicago, right smack dab in the middle of some of the worst areas. I've seen things with both police and just regular people that still amaze me. As a family we were harassed by one officer for years. I've also witnessed officers jump in front of kids when shots were being fired by gang bangers. We moved from the city to a suburb, same kind of thing there. I've been harassed and I even was thrown up against the wall because I had a hoodie on and they thought I was a gang banger. I went to school to be a police officer but decided I couldnt do it. I've watched Caucasian people keep the African Americans in business by buying crack and then heroin. I've watched people of all races live off of welfare. I've seen people shot and held them until police came. During all these years I have seen the best and worst of people, whether they are white, black or wearing blue. There are way more bad civilians then police. Do I think the police stick together? Yes. Now I think they have too.

It's a very small number of police that will open fire unless the person they are dealing with has a weapon, has showed a weapon, or refuses to drop a weapon. About 85% of the police I know have never drawn their weapon.

People have choices to make, there are opportunities out there. Over and over I've seen them take the easy way out and take advantage of the system, that is a huge problem, because what are they showing their kids?

If you do a crime and point a gun at an officer, what is suppose to happen? In the city of Chicago black on black crime is extremely out of control. 100 people shot in one week, several of those children. If they have no problem killing each other and innocent people, why should the officer give them the opportunity to pull that trigger?

The solution? Don't commit crime, don't point a gun at an officer, drop that weapon when told, because it isn't going to end well.

As you can see, the majority of people killed by police(black or white) had weapons.

#38 ·
I try very hard to stay out of the controversy however I agree w/ both Lark and llombardo. As a former wanna be prosecutor or cop I'm a forensic counselor.(Wanted law school but then after working with public defenders office and my grades decided no law school for me then I wanted to be a cop you know help people but my illness prevented me from that.) I'm definitely a supporter of the blue line. On the other hand years of racial profiling and other issues including non justified shootings need dealt with and have created a general mistrust within the African American community and justifiably so. DOJ report is beyond eye opening based on the reports that have been published. I don't have the answers I pray to God that he can help us find a way to live in peace with each other her and internationally.Again my prayers are with all who have lost loved ones in the service to the community and those who lost children in the justice system

Reactions: llombardo
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.