Dog dies at Petsmart while in care of groomer. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Dog dies at Petsmart while in care of groomer.

Dog Dies at San Mateo PetSmart While in Care of Groomer | NBC 7 San Diego

I went to the groomer one time, and to be honest it was scary to have my pup out of my sight for so long. At one point I had pet lizards, and Petsmart/Petco were notorious for their horribly cruel treatment of reptiles.

I am glad GSD are fairly easy grooming wise so that I can do everything myself. This is very scary!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 04:24 AM

I remember the one time I decided to take my girl to get groomed at PetSmart and when we came back, not only did they not do what we asked (She has an easy coat to maintain so it wasn't a hard thing to do) But they also rudely stated "She seemed very nervous and scared" with a look of -it's probably your fault she was-

Well duh! wouldn't you also be scared if you were just a puppy at the groomers for the first time?? I think they may have traumatized her cause now she's afraid of blow dryers. Then again, blow dryers are a scary thing.

Needless to say, we came home looking the same as we went with an additional bandana. Thanks PetSmart
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 08:34 AM
Crowned Member

I used Petsmart three times for my first dog as they were the only place local that was open in the late afternoon/evening. First experience was great, second was not so great, and third was awful so I went and bought my own clippers and did him myself for the rest of his life

For Jazzy I tried doing her myself but she always ended up looking horrible so I found a groomer in another town that was highly recommended. I went in and spoke with her letting her know what I was looking for and she invited me to come and stay with Jazzy and even help if that would make me feel better. I've been taking Jazzy there for years and yes I go straight into the back with her and we groom her together and the groomer is so awesome. She's a retired vet tech so loads of experience and it's a great experience, Jazzy is calm and the groomer has tons of patience and does a great job. I trust her now that I would leave her there if needed for the session but since it's a far drive I stay with her

For Delgado I just found a local place that offers DIY grooming and it's private so one dog at a time in a closed off room and I took him there a few weeks ago for the first time and it was awesome. Raised tub, all supplies such as towels and shampoo and brushes are all included in the fee, and she has a awesome powerful blower that really gets that undercoat out. Plus you leave the mess for them and walk away, all for $10 for 30 minutes. Talk about a deal!

In the end, do your research and hopefully you can find something that works for everyone

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 09:52 AM
Crowned Member

That is awful! Poor Henry.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 09:58 AM
Crowned Member

I only trust a small number of people with Sinister, he is my heart and we both have separation anxiety being away from each other so I always stay when he is at the groomers. I am right there the whole time, I don't care if I get wet and I don't care if I get hairy, I do not leave. I want to make sure he is not being mistreated and I want to make sure that if something were to happen I would be right there to help or intervene.

If something ever happened to him while being in the care of someone else.............................................. .......................
gsdluvr and Chip18 like this.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 10:27 AM
Crowned Member

A good friend of mine was a groomer at petsmart. The problem with big box corporate business models is they treat animal handling care like they are widgets on a factory line. The store manager, who did not even own a dog or cat himself, was always pushing the groomers to groom faster, more dogs, faster, faster. My friend couldn't take it and left because dogs aren't widgets that you can fit into a down to the second profit margin window. If it's matted, fearful, aggressive you have to slow down. Petsmart turns employees over very fast because they don't pay well and have a lousy culture for humans too.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 10:43 AM
Crowned Member

My daughter takes her Schnauzer to Pet Smart and is very happy with their grooming service.She says they do an excellent job,take all the time they need depending on the individual dog.Just lucky I guess to have found a well run store.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Devo Yorkie Mix
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 12:15 PM

I took Ronin to a local groomer here. The first time, he hated it and was too stressed out to do anything. I found out later that they didn't even attempt to bathe or dry him. I went back a second time when a new team was there, and he was perfect! I stayed for a few minutes, and he was happily splashing around and letting them bathe him and dry him. When I went back, he was beautifully done and had no issues. I was told to just ask for the head girl next time because he liked her so much and she did an amazing job. The PetSmart around here doesn't have a good rep for grooming services so I never even thought to use them.

"I am your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are my life, my leader. I will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of my heart"-I am the German Shepherd
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 09:33 PM
Master Member

Before Katie, my bearded collie, passed away, I used a mobile pet groomer. It's quite common in Australia. My groomer had the hydrobath mounted in a trailer, and did the lot, including coat clipping. I was there when they groomed her, except for once. When Katie realized who it was, and why she was there, she ran and hid upstairs. When 'found', Katie resigned herself to the bathing. It wasn't the groomer she objected to, just the experience, she hated getting her nails done.

One thing I do wonder about though, is the possibility for dogs to pick up bacterial and fungal skin infections from a hydrobath that's lots of other dogs have been in.
Chai likes this.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 10:36 PM
Elite Member

I took my yellow Lab, Max, to Petsmart one time and he went in fine and came out limping. I asked if anything had happened and nobody seemed to know anything. In my heart, I felt like it could have been a lot of things, maybe he slipped on the floor or something, but I never could bring myself to take him back there again. I subsequently developed a relationship with two groomers that I trusted with Max and with Newlie, I just take him to one of the two because they are closer. They both did a good job and I trusted them with my dogs. Not only would they not mistreat animals, they wouldn't stand for anyone else doing it either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page