This is crazy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default This is crazy

Madrid Will Kill Dog of Woman Infected With Ebola - NBC News

It is crazy to me not because they want to put the dog to sleep but because there is a canadian rescue that has offered to bring it here to canada,

I was just having a convo with someone in the rescue world that seems to think Ebola can be cured, and the only people in west Africa that are dying are, children and Elderly.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

I thought there was a 'cure' some sort of injection, didn't the news say a while ago it was given to some aid workers, they got better? Or, did I dream it...wishing...

Last edited by Debanneball; 10-08-2014 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
Debanneball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think you are wishing that- but here is a copy and paste facebook comment thread starting with her comment to me regarding ebola-

should they put down humans with Ebola too? A life is a life. These people love their pet as if it their child. They have treated people carrying the disease successfully and they can test if the dog carries the disease....if he does then they can treat the dog as well just like they treat humans.
54 mins Like

They dont need to put humans down with Ebola because humans are dying even with the best medical care- its killed thousands and that's including front line doctors who do receive the best care.
50 mins Like MY response-^^

I'm not saying it's not deadly.....of course it is but it can be treated and cured given the right circumstances. Africa is not capable to treat this hence why other countries are going there to setup makeshift hospitals to help control the virus....i
it Is TREATABLE!!!! We have 2 living and Ebola free Americans to prove it!!!

That is the way it ended- her crazy comment about it being treatable because 2 Americans lived. I cant argue with total ignorance.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

There is no cure for Ebola. It's a virus, like a cold, so it has to run it's course. The only treatment is support--things like fluids to prevent dehydration and pain management.

There is an experimental drug that was used on those 2 Americans, but it was also given to the Spanish priest who died. He is the one who seems to have infected this Spanish nurse.

The supplies of that drug have run out and it takes months to make more.

Contrary to popular belief, this is not the first time the Ebola virus has been in this country. However, it is the first time it has infected humans in this country.

There was actually an outbreak in Reston, Virginia in a group of imported monkeys. I think it was in the 80's or 90's. It took some time for people to find out what the problem was and it's truly miraculous that no people caught it. They were very lax in their interactions with those animals, and we all know how unsanitary caged monkeys can be.

If anyone is interested in learning more about the virus, The Hot Zone is a very informative book and well worth reading.

I don't know if dogs can even catch or carry the disease. Maybe someone else has that information?
Pawsed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The thing that gets me the most is outstanding comments like

"The only people who die from ebola are elderly and children"

what?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

That is totally nuts! Sounds like they are confusing this with the flu. I suppose some people just make up their own reality, no matter what the facts are.
Pawsed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawsed View Post
That is totally nuts! Sounds like they are confusing this with the flu. I suppose some people just make up their own reality, no matter what the facts are.
They are the same people that are trying to get the dog into Canada- which from what i have read is dangerous- No hard evidence on the fact k9 can spread it but research and a few labs studies suggest it is totally possible.

I can only speak for myself here but i dont want this dog in Canada- too argue that Ebola is a gingerale and a good night sleep illness is really telling at just how much some people are totally ignorant
Old 10-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just watched the news and the guy in Dallas, Texas has died.

I love animals. I advocate for them where I can and where I feel I can make a difference. That said- people like that give rescues a bad name. They at least perpetuate the negative stigma about going overboard with the animals.

My opinion on this is that it is still early enough in the game that euthanasia makes sense.
A girl and her dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The dog has been PTS.
CNN is often days later than the European online news
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yes he was-

I think they have made a decision that made sense to them regarding public safety. Its awful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.