Dog nipped at my child....What to do? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Dog nipped at my child....What to do?

We see this around here so many times....and then the questions come...

"Well, was the dog excited or 'mad'"

"Was the dog playing?"

"Has the dog ever been like this before?"

And on and on.

A lot of times the poster will downplay the "nip." They'll say how FIdo has never ever acted like this before, how Fido has always been great with the kids and OP THINKS the dog was just playing, but wants to know what to do from here on out.

A lot of posters take this with a sigh of relief, encourage NILIF, upping obedience, and managing there dog, and that they should probably try and "find a 'good' trainer."

It is my humble opinion, that when children are involved, OP's "reading" of the dog should be put on the back burner, and the only advice should be to keep the dog completely away from the child and consult a professional with experience in aggression and successful obedience/behavior modification programs.

I know people hate "running people off," but with this type of situation I think the advice needs to be very blunt, and very serious. They are already diminishing the act to the point that they are consulting strangers on the internet instead of seeking a trainer. I think they should be strongly encouraged to put down the computer and consult someone, "irl." This is just my personal opinion, anyone can agree or disagree.

The reason I HATE these threads is because of the question, "well was the dog just excitedly playing?" How can anyone trust someone who is having their child growled, nipped, or even bitten, to be able to properly read their dog. Sure, it could be just an excited puppy running by and nipping. However, it could also be a dog completely fed up and the next move is a bite.

The following came across my newsfeed and led to this post. Listen to the giggling, and look at the danger this BABY is in. The video taper honestly thinks the dog is playing....every time someone posts about their child and a negative response from a dog, and it's dismissed because OP says, "actually...yeah, the dog was excited and I think they were playing" think of this. These parents not only think the dog is playing, they are so secure in their "reading" of the dog that they posted it for the world to watch and giggle along....

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater
"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

there's a gross lack of common sense when it comes to dogs these days
people get rid of the dog rather than discipline the child and teach the child to stay out of harms way

this should be a mandatory course for all parents
Family PawsDog and Baby Support & Education

the dog is an animal not a sibling to the child
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Dog nipped at my child....What to do? - The answer should be: "Place your child up for an adoption. You are unfit parent"
alexg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my boy diesel View Post
there's a gross lack of common sense when it comes to dogs these days
people get rid of the dog rather than discipline the child and teach the child to stay out of harms way

this should be a mandatory course for all parents
Family PawsDog and Baby Support & Education

the dog is an animal not a sibling to the child
I agree. I just finished the following book a few weeks ago.

The author, Karen Delise, dissects 30 years of dog fatalities. A huge percentage of the infant/young child fatalities are caused by dogs that are brought in as adult dogs to the family, given complete freedom with the child, and considered a part of the "family" from day one.

The stories are maddening, scary, and extremely sad. It is *mostly the care givers fault, but so many of them are from this misplaced "trust" in a dog with unknown history and genetics.

Plenty of babies pulled out of cribs and swings and killed, plenty of kids killed by dogs that weren't properly contained by neighbors and escaped. There was also a couple month old infant, on the floor, dog was in the room completely separate and being "supervised" as we so often encourage. In a split second the dog grabbed and killed the baby, with three adults in the room. Tragic. Of course fatalities are rare, but the statistics are real and easier to dissect than the plethora of bite statistics. Especially since there is such a spectrum of "bites." There were definite common denominators in the statistics.

My point in this post, was that if a parent is questioning the safety of their child because of a growl, lip raise, nip, or even bite, the parents should be directed to someone irl to help educate, train, and "fix" the situation. I don't think the parent should be trusted to properly read the situation and fix it. Of course they can do whatever they (and anyone giving advice for that matter) want, but my number one advice, especially when a young human is involved, is to get someone in real life.

Amazon Amazon
"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It depends on the dog and the owners. I don't think any advice should be given if it wasn't seen in person. No one can determine the dogs state of mind if they didn't see it. I had a dog that nibbled my sons ears, it was done with affection, but if I wrote it on here and wrote it wrong I would have got the wrong advice. I have had three dogs in my adult life bite people, 2 adults and one child. Those particular dogs never did that before or after ever again. It was situational and not a training issue, unless you want to include the training that was needed for the people that were bit. My oldest dog now is one of those dogs, she did a good amount of damage to the person she bit. My first question to him was what did you do to her? I will also say he is no longer in my life but the dog is. I didn't run out and get a trainer because the situation didn't call for it. Since she is now older and grumpier I do watch her around kids and I make sure that the kids do not bother her but let her come to them. She likes to be by herself and is very independent. I seen a video once of a chihuahua growling and showing his teeth when someone tried taking his bone. I made a comment on how that wasn't safe especially if a child didn't know better...I was deleted off the page. People have to use common sense, if they don't have that they probably shouldn't own a dog.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

i dont see too many dog bites child threads that advise not seeking a behaviorist or trainer
mostly its the parents who are like, 'we cant afford a trainer' so people are like, well then do these things until you can get to a trainer

you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink so they say
you can give a parent advise to hire a trainer or behaviorist but you cant make them do it

at any given time on craiglists there is at least 1 - 10 ads that say "dog bit my kid' or even worse, "expecting, have to give up fido"
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I know it's impossible, but it would be nice to have a network of trainers that people could be referred to. I hate the thought of someone who's over their head with their GSD going to some clueless person who calls themselves a 'dog trainer' like that's all it takes - because that IS all it takes.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my boy diesel View Post
i dont see too many dog bites child threads that advise not seeking a behaviorist or trainer
mostly its the parents who are like, 'we cant afford a trainer' so people are like, well then do these things until you can get to a trainer

you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink so they say
you can give a parent advise to hire a trainer or behaviorist but you cant make them do it

at any given time on craiglists there is at least 1 - 10 ads that say "dog bit my kid' or even worse, "expecting, have to give up fido"
Midnite was given up for nipping at kids. The dog has never showed any signs if aggression in my home. He loves kids and is the most patient dog I have ever seen when it comes to kids.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

That video made my stomach flip.
ZoeD1217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

that video made me wince - I was so focused on the development of events that I never looked down for the time line , so had no idea when it would end .
I think the dog did make contact with the child's face , inhibited though , because the child seems a little surprised and then continues with behaviour expected of a young child.
The dog may be an older pet , eyes not the clearest or brightest .
DaniFani - I agree with you .

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.