The ALS "ice bucket" challenge and dogs. Sigh - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default The ALS "ice bucket" challenge and dogs. Sigh

Please help spread the word to stop this nonsense, the senseless abuse of our pets in the name of raising $$$ for high profit organizations. Some 80 million has been raised b/c of the "ice bucket" challenge. What % goes to CEO of ALS society and how much goes to research?....maybe we should do an ALS challenge....show us your books and we'll donate if more then 90% goes to actual research for "cure".

Stop senseless fund raising that is hurting our pets (by idjits...not all of us are this stupid but enough are....

look at the face of this dog...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&fref=nf

if you know of other links, please post
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wow.

I think the ice bucket challenge is stupid to begin with. Making your pets do it? They don't know what ALS is or what fundraising is, or why you're doing something that makes them uncomfortable. That's stupid beyond words.
WateryTart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is it really so bad to slowly poured cold water on your dog in this Texas summer heat? I mean i understand throwing a bucket full straight in their face and scaring them, but i poured the remaining ice water from a cooler on my girl the other day and she was waggin and did not seem to have a complaint. I mean I have seen dogs in 3 feet of snow doing just fine so it cant be a temperature issue.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Please help spread the word to stop this nonsense, the senseless abuse of our pets in the name of raising $$$ for high profit organizations. Some 80 million has been raised b/c of the "ice bucket" challenge. What % goes to CEO of ALS society and how much goes to research?....maybe we should do an ALS challenge....show us your books and we'll donate if more then 90% goes to actual research for "cure".

Stop senseless fund raising that is hurting our pets (by idjits...not all of us are this stupid but enough are....

look at the face of this dog...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&fref=nf

if you know of other links, please post
I agree! > I don't really understand why its necessary to use your dogs during the challenge. I don't even think the challenge has a point. If you wanna donate to ALS THEN DONATE!
GSDlover143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Although i do agree that idjits are purporting this... Been nominated 3 times and trash talked because i simply refuse to do it. I love the word idjits.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

The challenge itself isn't all that dumb in my opinion since it has raised a lot of awareness and raised quite a bit of money. I wouldn't have done it to my dog although I don't think he would've cared much if I did. He would've thought it was a game.
E.Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iIrishSean View Post
Is it really so bad to slowly poured cold water on your dog in this Texas summer heat? I mean i understand throwing a bucket full straight in their face and scaring them, but i poured the remaining ice water from a cooler on my girl the other day and she was waggin and did not seem to have a complaint. I mean I have seen dogs in 3 feet of snow doing just fine so it cant be a temperature issue.
Yes dogs in snow are fine, but they are accustomed to it. If it is 90 to 100 degrees out there and suddenly you have something dousing you that is below 32 degrees, it can be a shock to your system. Humans can do what they like, they can prepare themselves for a cold dousing. In fact people up here go and jump in the lake in February, crazy loons, it is usually around 0 here in February. They call the the polar bear plunge.

But you can't prepare a dog to be suddenly doused with ice on a hot day. I think it is sickening. Can it kill a dog? I don't know. But beating it with a stick isn't likely to kill it either. I think I would rather get a few smacks with a stick than a bucket of ice water poured over me.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Although i do agree that idjits are purporting this... Been nominated 3 times and trash talked because i simply refuse to do it. I love the word idjits.
lol Same... I never did it. I honestly get the awareness part but at some point I believe some people do it for fun not for awareness.
GSDlover143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm confused. The photo posted on the FB link was taken in June of 2010.

If you don't want to donate to ALS, don't. The truth is, donations have increased about 1000% since the campaign started.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
I won't do it. one person at work is trying to get a group bucket in our uniforms (restaurant) to post on FB and as PR for the restaurant. Asked if I would do, I said nope. I don't and won't promote for profit for organizations that take funding for their 6 figure salaries. That includes HS.

I am barraged with would you like to donate to this or that at the liquor store, grocery store, going in and out of stores, via phone...

Show me one for profit organization that has found a cure for something. Anything.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.