The ALS "ice bucket" challenge and dogs. Sigh - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I'm confused. The photo posted on the FB link was taken in June of 2010.

If you don't want to donate to ALS, don't. The truth is, donations have increased about 1000% since the campaign started.

I don't see a date stamp...where did you see 2010. Was that the start date of the FB link for that company or whatever it is?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

I was suspicious when the photo had no info or credit. I've had my own photos stolen and then posted as memes or clickbait. Not cool. So, I guessed and did a Google image search for "wet puppy". That photo was in the top row of images, so I clicked on it and it brought me to an image called "corgi_cute_puppy" that was posted on June 18, 2010.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm doing my ALS challenge on Friday, will be jumping into a lake with my dogs They swim regardless; I'm the one that doesn't want to go in!

I have not personally seen any videos of people pouring or dunking dogs in ice.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 08-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
I was suspicious when the photo had no info or credit. I've had my own photos stolen and then posted as memes or clickbait. Not cool. So, I guessed and did a Google image search for "wet puppy". That photo was in the top row of images, so I clicked on it and it brought me to an image called "corgi_cute_puppy" that was posted on June 18, 2010.
Good sleuthing.
Guess they used pic to promote awareness.

Still shouldn't dunk or douse your dogs folks. Not with freezing cold ice water.
Wasn`t there a thread a couple yrs ago on how to cool down your dog when overheated. It said to place cool wet towels on the under carriage...not dunk the dog in a bucket of ice water
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Please help spread the word to stop this nonsense, the senseless abuse of our pets in the name of raising $$$ for high profit organizations. Some 80 million has been raised b/c of the "ice bucket" challenge. What % goes to CEO of ALS society and how much goes to research?....maybe we should do an ALS challenge....show us your books and we'll donate if more then 90% goes to actual research for "cure".

Stop senseless fund raising that is hurting our pets (by idjits...not all of us are this stupid but enough are....

look at the face of this dog...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&fref=nf

if you know of other links, please post
Not exactly their financial statements, but they look like a pretty reputable charity.

Charity Navigator Rating - The ALS Association
Lucy Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

If you don't want to donate to ALS, don't. The truth is, donations have increased about 1000% since the campaign started.

I don't and wont, everybody has their own problems and I am sure I sound like a jerk. With all these organizations asking for donations you would have to be pretty well off to donate to all of them and i have no particular interest in ALS. But as far as the marketing campaign this one is on fire, its pretty much all you hear about nowadays and if it brings more money to help people that's great! But im sure there is somebody skimming off the top.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Good sleuthing.
Guess they used pic to promote awareness.

Still shouldn't dunk or douse your dogs folks. Not with freezing cold ice water.
Wasn`t there a thread a couple yrs ago on how to cool down your dog when overheated. It said to place cool wet towels on the under carriage...not dunk the dog in a bucket of ice water
You shouldn't dunk dogs in ice water just for the fun of it. Letting dogs eat/chew on ice is fine, that myth has been completely debunked.

I'm not really sure what it has to do with the ALS challenge. I read the FB link and just saw comments slamming the photo, which obviously had nothing to do with this challenge or any ice water period. If you don't want to do the challenge, don't do it, but not because tons of people are supposedly dunking dogs
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 08-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

Dogs aside, I have to jump in this one and vent. I lost my husband 4 years ago to ALS at age 48. If people really want to help or feel good about participating, they should donate their time to a family battling this or any other horrific disease - terminal or not. Cut the grass, make a meal, clean bathrooms, walk the dogs, give a caretaker some time off and sit with the patient even for just an hour. My own family couldn't find time during 3 1/2 years to do any of that. Ok. I am finished. Feel better now. Life is good. Not always fair, but good.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Charlie (meow) 2000-
Puma (meow) 2010-
Nitro (meow) 2010-
igottabecrazy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by igottabecrazy View Post
Dogs aside, I have to jump in this one and vent. I lost my husband 4 years ago to ALS at age 48. If people really want to help or feel good about participating, they should donate their time to a family battling this or any other horrific disease - terminal or not. Cut the grass, make a meal, clean bathrooms, walk the dogs, give a caretaker some time off and sit with the patient even for just an hour. My own family couldn't find time during 3 1/2 years to do any of that. Ok. I am finished. Feel better now. Life is good. Not always fair, but good.
I'm so sorry for your loss
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 08-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:

Yes this! It's a stupid thing, to dumb a bucket of ice water over your head but the reality is many ppl probably didn't even know what this disease was before the challenge. And perhaps some still don't, but the few that actually went huh? I wonder what that is. Well I think it's def worth it for awareness alone.

And while I am aware that many times these donations do not end up going where we'd like to think. I think donating to any cause is better than not donating at all.
lauren43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.