German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Current Dog Affairs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/current-dog-affairs/)
-   -   Officer Shoots German Shepherd and Then Refuses To Let Owner Take It To The Vet. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/current-dog-affairs/482553-officer-shoots-german-shepherd-then-refuses-let-owner-take-vet.html)

iLittleMiss 08-24-2014 06:31 AM

Officer Shoots German Shepherd and Then Refuses To Let Owner Take It To The Vet.

Atlanta News: DeKalb Police shoot "friendly" German shepherd | www.ajc.com

llombardo 08-24-2014 09:26 AM

With all these dog shootings I'm having a hard time understanding why the officers are shooting to kill. They can just as easily shoot the dog in the leg to stop them. Something needs to change with the way they are doing things.

David Winners 08-24-2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 5940361)
With all these dog shootings I'm having a hard time understanding why the officers are shooting to kill. They can just as easily shoot the dog in the leg to stop them. Something needs to change with the way they are doing things.

Shooting a moving dog in the head / chest, which is the largest part of the dog when facing you, is hard enough. Reliably hitting a dog in the leg is impossible.

I'm not condoning any action of the officers in question. Only speaking to the mechanics of hitting a dog in the leg.

Jax08 08-24-2014 10:48 AM

Here's the thing...If your alarm goes off, you will know because the company calls you, at least my sisters does. IMO, it would be rare to not know you had a false alarm. If you do, put the dog in the crate! You know the police are coming. It's their jobs.

When we had to call the police to our house a few months ago, I crated the dogs. I told the dispatcher I had dogs and they were not aggressive.

Now...I also have friends who are retired police and we had the discussion on why so many dogs are getting shot. He felt there were many reasons. First being that the police today are being taught to shoot first and ask later. Second that they are not being educated on dogs like they used to be. Unfortunately, you have a split second to determine if the dog is aggressive or just running around the corner.

Seger is a doll but when someone comes to the door he barks like a maniac. If an officer were to come thru my door on a call where he had to enter without knocking, I have no doubt that Seger would get shot as aggressive. How is a person that doesn't know the dog supposed to know if the dog is aggressive or just a punk? They can't.

BUT...16 dogs in Dekalb in 2013? Not letting the dog get to the vet after confirming there is no break in and it's the owner? 9 dogs so far this year? I think their procedure's need to be reviewed.

lyssa62 08-24-2014 11:00 AM

I'm saying this as my opinion and I have had several family members in law enforcement over the years.
Cops today -- are on power trips...they are trigger happy -- it's a little more difficult to "explain" yourself out of shooting a person than it is shooting a dog --claim it is aggressive.
If they can't be trained to handle a dog without shooting it -- law enforcement is probably NOT their forte'

llombardo 08-24-2014 11:09 AM

Just recently a dog was shot in his yard in Chicago. Police were chasing someone at about 730 in the morning and encountered the dog in his yard. IMO common sense would be how did the guy get in the yard with this dog and I wouldn't proceed. Turned out the guy they were chasing was under the porch and he later came and apologized to the people for the dog getting shot. A criminal apologizes and the officer involved didn't care. I posted the link on FB and these are the comments from a police officer. I did not respond to him because it just isn't worth it, but this is the demeanor that is not needed on the force and yet it's widespread..

Officers comment...What's hilarious is the family "awoke"from gunshots, police in their yard and their dog dead. Which means their dog was out all night.

My Comment...I don't agree that dogs should be left outside but it's not against the law. People do it everywhere and don't expect to wake up to a dead dog.

Officers Comment....Poop(insert bad word here)happens.

lyssa62 08-24-2014 11:22 AM

ok see that right there...that makes me livid. I could NEVER shoot an animal but if a trigger happy cocky SOB like that said that about my FAMILY pet..."I" would seek revenge.

Karma == kicks butt and sometimes karma NEEDS a kick in the butt..either way -- karma happens

Jax08 08-24-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyssa62 (Post 5940657)
I'm saying this as my opinion and I have had several family members in law enforcement over the years.
Cops today -- are on power trips...they are trigger happy -- it's a little more difficult to "explain" yourself out of shooting a person than it is shooting a dog --claim it is aggressive.
If they can't be trained to handle a dog without shooting it -- law enforcement is probably NOT their forte'

That's what my retired friend said also. He said in all his years on the streets, he never pulled a gun on a dog.

lyssa62 08-24-2014 11:41 AM

I had 2 uncles that were lieutenants -- neither shot a dog in their ENTIRE time on the field. I have a cousin that was a lieutenant...and then top of whatever it is for the vice squad....NEVER killed a dog ...and busting meth labs I'm sure he ran into his share of them.
I think just like with anything else they used to be a little more selective about who did what jobs. There are people who SHOULD NOT be paid to carry guns and I'm guessing 99% of them are the cops that are shooting dogs. You did see where the one officer was trying to shoot the dog and shot a kid didn't you? Right there..he should have been fired ON THE SPOT. All he wanted to do was shoot something.

here's the thing...if you ever see my dog has been shot by a cop -- I'm going to need a good bails bondsman. Please send money -- or do a go-fund-me or something...and you won't see me on here anymore because SOMEBODY SOMEHOW will be paying for it.

pyratemom 08-24-2014 11:45 AM

So sad that so many officers are shooting dogs these days. It didn't seem like so many a few years ago but now it seems every week somewhere it happens. The officers I know personally believe it is due to lack of training on the department's side where the officers work. Many of the officers I know have their own dogs and would not shoot unless it was the absolute last thing. They would try to talk to the dog or owner first. Sometimes just a "Hi big boy" will do it - no shot necessary. The two puppies I'm helping to train belong to two female officers - one on road patrol and the other is a lieutenant in charge of communications. They both got puppies from the same littler of GSD X Malenois. Some officers are more sure of themselves around dogs and less likely to shoot. Those that aren't as sure of themselves are the ones that do shoot. I would beg to be allowed to handle my dog if the police thought they had a reason to enter my house. Unfortunately it doesn't mean the police have to let you handle your dog.