Uh oh...here come the requests for Mali pups...lol - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Uh oh...here come the requests for Mali pups...lol

This is kind of a ridiculous test, imo. I think the GSD would have skid-addled if any more pressure was put on him. Interesting, none the less. I love the FB comments of all the people that are just certain THEIR dog would attack. I think most would take the route of the cane corso.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=681957538548002

ETA: The guard dog "tips" to test your dog at the end, are awesome. ;-)

Last edited by DaniFani; 08-19-2014 at 03:15 PM.
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

lol i watched this today only i did not read the tips, the Mal looked off on a different planet lol in my opinion the one who did the best was Moose, he thought about it first then acted on it, and he did not have any protection training, infact i wonder what the mal would have done with out his handler telling him what to do, to be fair it should be a redo lol, the mal should just be left to its own devices before we can actually judge who did what the best
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

That owner looked more alert than the mal. I'm not sure who's training who
Gib_laut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not impressed with the malinois. Very weak hit, no fight. Nice pet, though. Not an equal test either, with the owner there telling him what to do and acting suspicious.

I liked the GSD. What I'd expect from a good GSD with no training.

Cane corso... pffft.
Muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I didn't like any of them....honestly people liked the performance of the GSD?? I didn't take that GSD backing up, as him "Trying to decide." I took it as fear, with a pretty weak, unsure and unconfident grip, that would have been gone had the guy shouted a bunch and really went at him. I wasn't impressed with any of the dogs, but I think people will listen to the news casters and think, "wow, mali performed." I agree all the tests were kind of silly. Not really threatening, or "real" but I don't think the GSD was anything at all to write home about...none of them were.
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sure, GSD wasn't anything special, but was better than the mali, in my book. And he had no training. Most intruders won't fight the dog.

At the tail end of the malinois test the dog took off up the stairs- was he called or was he running out of fear? Not impressive. Weak grip, no defense or fight.
Muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't think that was a fair test for the Mal at all. The owner had to know that someone was going to test them that day, hence he wasn't scared or suprised at all. When someone breaks into your house, you aren't going to be calm, tension is in there air, whether displayed or not there is some fear and your dog picks up on that.. not allowing for that kind of scenario doesn't allow for a true reaction. Not only that but the guy came in with a sleeve which the mal knew he should bite from "protection" training, especially being in the early stages. AND was focused on direction from his handler. Without the true fear factor and surprise of the intrusion, it's impossible to test a true reaction.

To be honest, IMO, the cane corso and GSD reacted as most well behaved dogs probably would. I was disappionted that the GSD owner said "I wished he would have been more aggressive." It's not your dog's job to protect your house from intrusion. It's a nice deterrant and a some may respond but that's not the reality and if they wanted that reaction they should have trained for it.

Not only that but the guy coming in to "test" isn't going to be exposing the same feelings as one that doesn't know the dog is there, or is trying to get past the dog. This guy came in, not scared at all, expecting him there, and the dogs also probably picked up on that vibe and reacted to the "non-threat". An intruder, who hears the dog but enters is still going ot be weary and nervous, especially because they likely wouldn't come with a sleeve to protect themselves or the knowledge of training dog behavior to begin with.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010

Last edited by wyoung2153; 08-19-2014 at 04:59 PM.
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It did not seem very fair, the cane corso was a big puppy, the GSD was a shelter wup and the mal was trained and with handler....i wonder how the cane corso will act once he has peeked maturity, the mal when he has no dad to give him direction. Weird situations.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I thought that an untrained GSD did have it in him to attack was pretty good.

I however think the guy intruder was overly attentive to the dogs. With the GSD he actually waved him back. I'm assuming an intruder wouldn't take that chance. It would have to be a pretty ballsy intruder to keep walking through a house with a dog barking though.

And I don't have dogs for protection. I'd hope they'd deter a break in with their bark, but that's about it.
lauren43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It seems up in the air as to whether their dog will bite an intruder to most dog owners. Some dogs are just very serious and others well, just are not. My guys are not serious dogs, however i can count of them barking which is good enough for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.