Family Pet Killed and Officer Fired MOVED TO CURRENT DOG AFFAIRS FROM GEN INFO - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2014, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Unhappy Family Pet Killed and Officer Fired MOVED TO CURRENT DOG AFFAIRS FROM GEN INFO

I'm reading the story and I get to the part where the officer told the family "It had to be done" and walked away and I find I'm quite angry. I would have loved to be the one that fired his sorry butt and then I would have told him. "It had to be done" and walked away....

I also read in another article that the new laws that were recently passed by the Governor of Illinois in regards to excessive force with animals played a role in the officers dismissal.

Hometown police officer fired after fatally shooting dog | abc7chicago.com
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound

Last edited by llombardo; 07-28-2014 at 10:59 PM.
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I do not understand, more and more LEO's are shooting pets, pets in homes and in backyards..it makes no sense.
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslesleedavis1 View Post
I do not understand, more and more LEO's are shooting pets, pets in homes and in backyards..it makes no sense.
Once they start getting fired and know its a consequence, maybe it will finally end.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 07-28-2014, 11:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The kid would still have her dog if people would be more careful. Teach the dog to go through a door where there is a fence only, or to stay on the porch until it is leashed, or to stay in the yard.

The dog was off the owner's property, the police were called because of the dog, and now the dog is dead and a cop is fired. It sounds like the 15 year veteran was probably totally in the wrong for shooting the dog, and then saying it had to be done, but ultimately, dog owners that want to keep their animals alive NEED to protect them by keeping them under control and contained.

If you do not want your child to experience the trauma of watching their dog get killed, then keep it contained. It is no less traumatic to watch your dog get run over by a car. Or to see another dog charge up and kill it. Or to see your dog charge up and kill someone else's small dog.

If you want a GSD/PIT BULL MIX, than do your part and keep it under control!

Then maybe the dog would still be alive today.

I am not concerned with the fate of the officer. I think he probably lost his job due to his actions, and that is on him. But the dog's fate is on its owners who failed it.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When my son was about two the dog across the street, which happened to be a GSD decided to hold the mailman hostage. I have never seen a mailman climb so fast. Someone called the police and the first response was the officer drawing his gun and telling people to stand back as he pointed the gun at the dog. My son started screaming and I had a small, very small window of opportunity to change that officers mind. At the end I believe he didn't shoot because of my son. We managed to get the dog in the yard with no injury to anyone.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 07-28-2014, 11:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
The kid would still have her dog if people would be more careful. Teach the dog to go through a door where there is a fence only, or to stay on the porch until it is leashed, or to stay in the yard.

The dog was off the owner's property, the police were called because of the dog, and now the dog is dead and a cop is fired. It sounds like the 15 year veteran was probably totally in the wrong for shooting the dog, and then saying it had to be done, but ultimately, dog owners that want to keep their animals alive NEED to protect them by keeping them under control and contained.

If you do not want your child to experience the trauma of watching their dog get killed, then keep it contained. It is no less traumatic to watch your dog get run over by a car. Or to see another dog charge up and kill it. Or to see your dog charge up and kill someone else's small dog.

If you want a GSD/PIT BULL MIX, than do your part and keep it under control!

Then maybe the dog would still be alive today.

I am not concerned with the fate of the officer. I think he probably lost his job due to his actions, and that is on him. But the dog's fate is on its owners who failed it.
Things like this are called accidents for a reason. People have kids running in and out and a dog gets out, etc. In this case they called the police to assist them in finding their dog. The dog was back on their property when officer shot the dog. I guess they won't ever be calling the police for assistance again.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 07-28-2014, 11:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

the owners called 911 to report their own dog running loose
makes me wonder if their dog is so aggressive that they have to report it getting loose and roaming the neighborhood as an emergency???
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 11:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

How sad. But I'm sure there's missing parts to the story. It says the owner tried coaxing the dog back into the house... what does that mean? Wouldn't you just walk over to it if it wasn't responding to your verbal command? It's too bad this had to happen... I have no idea what the protocol is for shooting a dog, but apparently the officer wasn't following it.
Sunshine-Belgian Malinois 2/2003-3/2014
Charles-GSD mix 1988-2002
Charliehound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 11:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my boy diesel View Post
makes me wonder if their dog is so aggressive that they have to report it getting loose and roaming the neighborhood as an emergency???
They might have been trying to get in touch with animal control. Out here in lots of towns you have to call the police to get to animal control. They have family that works for Animal Control in Chicago.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 07-28-2014, 11:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by my boy diesel View Post
Yeah, I've never heard of anyone calling 911 for their own dog out loose...
Sunshine-Belgian Malinois 2/2003-3/2014
Charles-GSD mix 1988-2002
Charliehound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.