I got bit by a Staffordshire Terrier - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I got bit by a Staffordshire Terrier

I wanted to share this story just as a learning experience. I didn't get seriously injured, and I have no ill will toward either the breed or the particular dog.

First of all, my neighbor is a complete idiot. He lets his dogs lay in the public road. The last dog he had was a boxer that I really liked, and the dog died because he tied it up near a fence. The dog jumped over the fence and hung herself. I don't think he's a bad person, just an idiot.

A couple of days ago, he was standing in the yard of a house down the road that I was working on. He had what looked like a giant pit bull on a leash. I was on a motorcycle; my bike is a 500cc Suzuki. It's not a loud bike. I rode up next to him to look at the dog. He told me it was an English boxer. I looked it up later, and there's no such breed. The dog is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier: Staffordshire Bull Terrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He said it was a former military dog. I asked him what job, and he said cadaver sniffing, but in hindsight I'm not so sure about that. The dog showed no interest in me, and no excitement whatsoever. He was just standing there quietly while we talked - and that's what really got to me after he bit me, that I never saw it coming at all.

What happened was that I revved the motorcycle to leave, and I'm guessing that it triggered the bite-stimulus training that someone had given this dog for personal protection use. I was moving away from him, and that's probably what kept him from taking my calf muscle off. He launched and hit me so fast that neither one of us really saw it happen. I felt like I had been shot in the leg. I pulled up my pant leg, and saw that he didn't quite break the skin. There was the hook-shaped mark of one of his teeth. Right now my outer calf in that spot is bruised up and looks like I got hit by a line drive baseball going 110 mph.

It'll heal. I'll be fine. It could have been much, much worse. I wanted to share this story and what I learned here - no sudden loud stimulus around big scary dogs, even when they are showing no signs of aggression. That last part is key. I'm almost 40 and have had dogs all my life, but it's naive to think I can always see aggressive behavior coming.

And once again, I don't mean anything against pitts or staffies, or any one breed of dog. I am honestly kind of in admiration of the speed and power of the dog that bit me. It was very impressive. I almost want one now
Clancy_Wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

pitts don't take much stimulus to attack. They go from acting normal to being in a fight at the drop of a pin.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trcy View Post
pitts don't take much stimulus to attack. They go from acting normal to being in a fight at the drop of a pin.
Well THAT'S certainly not stereotyping. Geez. That's like saying the same thing but insert "German Shepherds" where you wrote "pitts". :banghead:

*-*Summer*-*
SummerGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I doubt that dog was trained. I would be he just reacted.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerGSDLover View Post
Well THAT'S certainly not stereotyping. Geez. That's like saying the same thing but insert "German Shepherds" where you wrote "pitts". :banghead:

*-*Summer*-*

We had 7 pitts when I was growing up. We did not train them to fight. Not so much stereotyping as going off my having to break up many fights with those dogs. One time a dog was just sleeping. The pitt went by and latched on to his head. That poor dog needed his ears sewn back on. Maybe seeing a sleeping dog induces their fight reaction.....idk, but I don't trust those dogs. I have seen to many going from very calm to in a full on fight with little to no indication as to why.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
We had 7 pitts when I was growing up. We did not train them to fight. Not so much stereotyping as going off my having to break up many fights with those dogs. One time a dog was just sleeping. The pitt went by and latched on to his head. That poor dog needed his ears sewn back on. Maybe seeing a sleeping dog induces their fight reaction.....idk, but I don't trust those dogs. I have seen to many going from very calm to in a full on fight with little to no indication as to why.
Sounds like you've been around some very unstable pits. That happens a lot with how often they're bred, but it does happen with any breed and I know GSDs the same way you're describing.

Sorry for the bite, OP!
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

"He said it was a former military dog. I asked him what job, and he said cadaver sniffing, but in hindsight I'm not so sure about that. The dog showed no interest in me, and no excitement whatsoever"

Why Clancy....I never knew you were a cadaver!

Jelpy
Old 07-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelpy View Post
"He said it was a former military dog. I asked him what job, and he said cadaver sniffing, but in hindsight I'm not so sure about that. The dog showed no interest in me, and no excitement whatsoever"

Jelpy
Omg. Thats hilarious

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
A staffy is not a pit, but neither breed should act like that and I think the same can be said about any breed of dog. The pits, staffies, and bullies I know are all pretty stable dogs and most would need to be pushed pretty hard to bite a human. Other dogs are a different story but these breeds in general were created to be very human friendly, but there are always exceptions. Considering the breed of dog it could have been SO much worse, but I am still very sorry to hear about your bite, Clancy. Bully breeds are great, though, I was really surprised at how much I ended up loving them after I got one!
Old 07-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelpy View Post

Jelpy
I agree. If Clancy wasn't a cadaver, the dog wouldn't have reacted. I'm sure this dog was one of the top secret military trained dogs for the Zombie Apocalypse and it flunked out because it kept going for the legs and not the brains.

I'm glad you weren't seriously injured, Clancy!
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.