German Shepherds Forum banner

Officer Shoots And Kills Dog

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Dainerra 
#1 ·
You SHOULD be able to leave your dog in a nice secure yard if you want , this just illustrates there are risks associated with the practice :( Police will not always fall back on their training in dealing with dogs ( if they had any ) and in the end if they are threatened they will defend themselves. So , just a reminder that there are risks beyond our control when it comes to leaving a dog home alone in a yard. I feel so bad for this guy .

Pissed Off Man Confronts Police After They Shot His Dog [VIDEO]

#3 ·
These news stories get posted pretty frequently...

So recently I was pulled over for speeding on the freeway (going 82 in a 65 zone). The pups were lose in the back-seat of my car. I was afraid when the officer walked up to the window.

Zeeva didn't even bark. Smokey remained in a sit. They didn't even attempt to sniff the officer. I've had people walk up to the car before in a similar situation and they both barked and nosed their way toward them.

I don't know if they 'behaved' or if they knew something was 'different'? But you don't see the stories where the officer essentially had no issues with the dog...

#6 ·
I still don't get why they entered his home looking for the missing child? Unless the neighbor said that the child frequently enters this persons home, why would they need to go searching inside his home? I'd sue the department, not so much for the money, but because it's the only way to have the city or state enforce policies sometimes.

Poor dog :(

#8 ·
I guess it depends on the case..my 5 year old defeated our alarms and locks ( autism) and he disappeared. I called the police immediately which is what you are suppose to do in these cases..because 20 minutes searching the house can be them drowning in the neighbors pool or pond. Anyway , in our case the officers responded and immediately started checking all yards in the vicinity . Not sure what the law is on that one ..but I will tell you I had no problem jumping into peoples yards looking for my son. Then again , I would know what to do about a dog without having to shoot. If you jumped into the yard and see a dog , jump out. It does not sound like this is a dog that would launch a full on attack . Hard to tell just by reading the article.

To me it falls under the fact that "stuff" happens. Know that when your dog is unattended stuff like this can happen whether or not it is suppose to or is allowed , know what I mean?

I had my dog alone in my SUV once while I was at an event . Weather was fine for it , temps in the 40s , window cracked. Very comfortable for the dog. And people will say what if someone stole him? Well , while I was at that event my house was robbed so the dog was probably saved by being in the car. And my car calls my cell if the alarm is tripped . So if someone was messing with the car I could run to it.

No easy answers , just when securing your dog out of your sight try to think of all the what ifs and do what you can to prevent. Maybe a padlock on a big privacy fence if you often leave your dogs out ?

#7 ·
I was just watching this video and came over here to see if it was posted. How incredibly sad. I signed the petition and shared the link. My friends all wonder why I don't allow my dogs out in their fenced in yard during the day when I am at work. There's just one example of why I don't. God bless this man's heart.

#9 ·
This particular shooting happened in my town and has been incredibly poorly handled by the police. That video is tough to watch. According to the police it doesn't matter if you lock the gate, if they decide to do an emergency search of your property, they will jump the gate or take the gate down. Your dog just isn't safe in your backyard if you aren't home in Salt Lake City. The police chief has agreed to meet with the Humane Society and review their policies, but this has really made a lot of people upset here. I know Ollie would run right up to anyone that entered my yard, likely jump on them because he is 1 and we are still working on that. Since he is a GSD, I assume an officer would just shoot and ask questions later.

The really awful part of this story is the child was found safe, asleep in the basement of his home at almost the exact time the dog was shot. Total waste of life.

#10 ·
It really is so sad. I was in tears at the end part when he was crying. I can't imagine.

I have seen my in my town police deal with an aggressive loose dog ..they were good , no guns drawn. It is hardly ever necessary . The only time i can see needing lethal force to deal with a dog is when they are attacking something like a child or other dog. Personally.

#11 ·
that is true of any city. in an emergency situation, such as a man hunt or a lost/endangered child or person, the police have the right to enter your property.

Actually, if you check your contracts, you cable provider, your electric company, the water company, etc etc usually have something in there stating that they are allowed to enter your property at any time to access equipment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.