German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Current Dog Affairs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/current-dog-affairs/)
-   -   Bill C-615 to Ban Electric Shock Collars in Canada (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/current-dog-affairs/461665-bill-c-615-ban-electric-shock-collars-canada.html)

Bob_McBob 06-18-2014 01:58 PM

Bill C-615 to Ban Electric Shock Collars in Canada

This video has been making the rounds on Facebook locally with all the positive-only trainers cheering it on. NDP MP Kennedy Stewart recently introduced a private member's bill to ban all use of ecollars for "companion animals" in Canada. The full text of the bill can be found here.

The preamble clauses lay out the "arguments" against ecollars:

Quote:

The use of electric shock collars on companion animals serves to negatively impact their physical, social and psychological well-being and quality of life

Scientific research has demonstrated that the use of electric shock collars on companion animals causes an increase in their levels of fear, anxiety, stress and aggression

The use of electric shock collars, having been recognized as an inhumane practice, has been banned or restricted in numerous countries

There are alternative methods for effectively training companion animals without inflicting needless pain and suffering

Canadians are committed to protecting animal welfare and preventing cruelty against animals in all forms
It's pretty clear the vast majority of people commenting on Youtube and Facebook have never seen, felt, or used any kind of ecollar, let alone a modern precisely adjustable model, nor have they read anything about modern low stimulation training methods. I can understand if a member of the public hears "shock collar" and thinks it sounds barbaric, but the number of dog training professionals and business owners making completely uniformed comments is appalling.

It's very unlikely this particular bill will be voted on or passed into law, but we've already seen prong collars and ecollars banned in Quebec this year, and it's not like many MPs are going to stand up and argue for the use of "shock collars" on dogs. It seems like the whole country may be heading the same way as Quebec at some point in the near future.

my boy diesel 06-18-2014 02:35 PM

the way some folks use them yes they are cruel and inhumane

simba405 06-18-2014 03:30 PM

Honestly if Ecollars are banned I don't think it's a big deal. They make training easier but you can most certainly have a well trained dog without using one.

Blitzkrieg1 06-18-2014 03:42 PM

Doubt the conservatives will pass it. Also, talking to people in the know the rules in Quebec are nebulous enough that they can be used there too.

lalachka 06-18-2014 04:19 PM

It's not about ecollars. If they ban ecollars then next they will ban the prongs (as it's already supposedly done somewhere). Then next whatever else.

Positive training is good, I'm all for it. But at some point most dogs need corrections. What will be left to correct them with?

Tools shouldn't be banned, improper use should be. No one is banning hammers but I can kill someone with it

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

lalachka 06-18-2014 04:32 PM

Actually, if ecollars are banned in today's society with the 'I want it now' mentality (talking about myself here too) then dogs won't win. Yesterday I read about throw chains, 'the poor man's Ecollar'. I'd prefer people use ecollars even if they use them wrong. I can only imagine the stuff that will get invented if the ecollars get banned.

Then again, how can yu regulate the proper use? What if someone buys an Ecollar and just shocks the dog for everything (as many people do)?

I don't know about this one, it's a tough call

selzer 06-18-2014 04:53 PM

I am always against more laws. If someone is abusing their dog, they should be charged with animal cruelty, which is against the law. One would have to be able to prove it though. So unless there is burn marks, it would be hard to do.

Here anyway, we have bigger fish to fry. Terrible injuries are done by collars. Maybe they should ban them. Inbedded collars are the worst.
And yet, I have never heard anything like: Joe EvilPuke was given 3 years for animal cruelty when his dog was brought in with an embedded collar that was infested with maggots.

Nope. There is no statement on the rules and regs when you get your dog license: "Check your puppies collar every couple of weeks to make sure it isn't cutting into its skin." There are no posters out there that say, "If you dump your puppy with a collar on, and it gets embedded, you will go to prison."

Ok, I will step off my soap box now.

TLDR: I don't like e-collars, but I don't want them banned.

misslesleedavis1 06-18-2014 05:45 PM

This is what happens when people with no clue have all the say. Next i will have to book therapy sessions for my dog if he does not sit the first time, maybe take him out to dinner and a movie to get him to heal?
bullcrap.

lauren43 06-18-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalachka (Post 5658577)
It's not about ecollars. If they ban ecollars then next they will ban the prongs (as it's already supposedly done somewhere). Then next whatever else.

Positive training is good, I'm all for it. But at some point most dogs need corrections. What will be left to correct them with?

Tools shouldn't be banned, improper use should be. No one is banning hammers but I can kill someone with it

Using these tools as forms of correction, is improper use, no?

Honestly I don't care either way. I'm not a huge fan of them myself. And the more laws they make the more they are controlling what we can and can not do with our own pets. Next thing you know, spay and neuter laws will go into effect (if they haven't already)...I just wish idiots would stop getting animals (byb's and animal abusers and the like)...

lalachka 06-18-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauren43 (Post 5659457)
Using these tools as forms of correction, is improper use, no?

Honestly I don't care either way. I'm not a huge fan of them myself. And the more laws they make the more they are controlling what we can and can not do with our own pets. Next thing you know, spay and neuter laws will go into effect (if they haven't already)...I just wish idiots would stop getting animals (byb's and animal abusers and the like)...

a prong? no, i don't think so. a prong should be used for corrections, at least that's how i was taught.

ecollars - there are different ways of using them and yes, they can be used for corrections

and since you brough up spay and neuter laws. i hope that never happens. i don't believe in neutering out of convenience and i don't want anyone telling me what to do with my dog.