German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Current Dog Affairs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/current-dog-affairs/)
-   -   Six-year-old Cincinnati girl mauled by pit bulls. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/current-dog-affairs/457514-six-year-old-cincinnati-girl-mauled-pit-bulls.html)

DogGone 06-05-2014 06:00 PM

Six-year-old Cincinnati girl mauled by pit bulls.

Six-year-old girl named Zainabou Drame was mauled so badly by two pit bulls, that her family didn't even recognize her.

McElrath witnessed the attack, grabbed a baseball bat and try to beat the dogs off the little girl. His 20 pound dog also attacked the attacking pit bulls. When police arrived, the police shot the two pit bulls after the pit bulls charged police officers.

Family: Girl attacked by dogs needs major facial reconstruction | Local News - WLWT Home

Mom beat pit bulls with bat to save daughter

Pit bulls killed by officers after mauling young girl - Cincinnati Animal Advocacy | Examiner.com

Six-year-old Girl Attacked by Pit Bulls in Westwood

Ohio girl, 6, critical after mauling by dogs - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

6-year-old mauled by dogs - Local 12 WKRC-TV Cincinnati - Top Stories

I don't think all pit bulls are dangerous. Many are quite docile, friendly and loving. Unfortunately they are often bred and trained to be aggressive, violent, fighters and killers. Unfortunately there is a psychotic and criminal element of human society that uses dogs this way. People that fight dogs, drug dealers and other criminals often mistreat dogs to make dogs more dangerous.

It's not so much that pit bulls are inherently vicious; as is that some bad people encourage pit bulls and other dogs to be vicious.

Often when dogs are vicious, it often is because their owners are criminals or otherwise psychotic. There often is a connection to crime. Most often, drug crime.

Quote:

A man living at the home with the dogs, Zontae Irby, was arrested and was facing weapon and drug charges. He is the brother of Dierres Lee, who was sentenced to 12 years in prison in April for killing a La Salle student during a drug deal.

Valores White, 41, was also arrested and charged with permitting drug abuse, according to the Hamilton County Sheriff's office.
Source
Family: Girl attacked by dogs needs major facial reconstruction | Local News - WLWT Home

DogGone 06-05-2014 06:23 PM

Correction: It was "Tanina Drame" that tried to beat dogs off little girl with a baseball bat.

Sorry not able to edit to correct the original post.

From what I know about this case, I support the police actions in this case.

DogGone 06-05-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

24-year-old Zontae Irby owns the dogs and was arrested early Thursday morning. Police searched Irby's home and charged him with weapons under disability, drug abuse and drug trafficking. Charges are pending in relation to the dog attack, Cincinnati Police say.
Source and full story.

Dog owner jailed after pit bulls attack 6 year-old girl - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

selzer 06-05-2014 09:07 PM

Aren't pit bulls banned in Cincinnati? Or was that repealed?

Just having read the headlines, it sounds like the police did what they needed to do. And dogs that maul children need to be put down. Shot by cops, removes some the the insanity where the nutters will try to rescue and rehabilitate the dogs. Send the head off and test for rabies. Cheaper than having some kind of a hearing to determine whether or not the dog is ordered euthanized.

See, this ticks me off. Some little kid is now disfigured, if she makes it. And that is the worst thing. But, it is also bad for other dog owners. When people don't bother to train and manage their dog, communities find they must enact laws that can impact all of us, because BSL is vilified so much that we cannot pass laws requiring people of the breeds with the worst record, it will be all of us. And if they do enact BSL, when choosing the breeds, they will lump our dogs with the pits and the rotties, maybe not to eliminate them, but to require that owners have specific fencing, muzzles, leashes, insurance and what have you.

DogGone 06-06-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selzer (Post 5607610)
Aren't pit bulls banned in Cincinnati? Or was that repealed?

Just having read the headlines, it sounds like the police did what they needed to do. And dogs that maul children need to be put down. Shot by cops, removes some the the insanity where the nutters will try to rescue and rehabilitate the dogs. Send the head off and test for rabies. Cheaper than having some kind of a hearing to determine whether or not the dog is ordered euthanized.

See, this ticks me off. Some little kid is now disfigured, if she makes it. And that is the worst thing. But, it is also bad for other dog owners. When people don't bother to train and manage their dog, communities find they must enact laws that can impact all of us, because BSL is vilified so much that we cannot pass laws requiring people of the breeds with the worst record, it will be all of us. And if they do enact BSL, when choosing the breeds, they will lump our dogs with the pits and the rotties, maybe not to eliminate them, but to require that owners have specific fencing, muzzles, leashes, insurance and what have you.

Cincinnati had a breed ban against pit bulls about two years ago, but the law was repealed. Some of the surrounding communities still have pit bull bans.

Morally I am against breed bans. Though regrettably pit bulls are a problem, but I feel the problem is deeper than just the breed itself. It is the people that breed and raise and train dogs to be vicious. It is people that ignorantly and recklessly own dogs that can be dangerous.

Unfortunately many of the people that are attracted to the pit bull breed have the wrong motives and/or are reckless and too incompetent to own a dog, especially a dog that can be potentially dangerous.

Unfortunately there are many strays and many people let their dogs run loose. Unfortunately many dogs are not properly trained or properly socialized. So there are many timebombs and accidents waiting to happen.

Unfortunately the gangster/hoodlum type of people are attracted to the pit bull breed. Gangsters/hoodlums are cowards that fearfully band together and often have illegal weapons and/or pit bulls for defense, intimidation and bling. Pit bulls are often used to protect marijuana grow operations, drug dealer and fencing stashes, etc.

I was at a dog park just outside of the greater Cincinnati area, when a couple of hoodlums pulled up and started to train their pit bulls to attack humans between a dog park and a playground. It was a crude gangster version of Schutzhund. I called police. Even though the dogs were off leash right next to a playground and the owners were training them to attack people; the police officers only gave them a warning.

I think part of the blame for the dog violence should go to authorities. Many of the laws and enforcement often is nonsensical. My GSD service dog is often treated like a threat, yet vicious dogs are often allowed to roam the street, and gangs training dogs to be vicious are treated with kid gloves. Authorities need to better, more fairly and more reasonably prioritize their authority.

I got into it with the Hamilton County dog Warden, for bigotedly stereotyping GSDs as vicious dogs, yet allowing vicious dogs to roam the streets, and ignoring gangster types that fight dogs, and breed and train dogs to be vicious.

Part of the problem is much of the authority is corrupt, incompetent, prejudice and derelict. Often people that report crimes are threatened, harassed and slandered by authorities; yet criminals are often given a free pass. Greater Cincinnati and Hamilton County needs to clean house. Law enforcement, prosecutors, judges, etc. are often derelict of their duty, are often defiant of the law, often are incompetent, etc.

Greater Cincinnati and Hamilton County has a bad problem with illicit drugs, prostitution, and other criminal gang activity.

Quote:

The dogs' owner, Zontae Irby, is in jail on drug and weapons charges. He is also charged with receiving stolen property.
Source
Cruiser cam from Westwood pit bull attack - Local 12 WKRC-TV Cincinnati - Top Stories

Police release chilling 911 calls after pit bull attack - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

misslesleedavis1 06-06-2014 04:19 PM

selzer wrote:

Absolutely.

martemchik 06-06-2014 04:27 PM

DogGone...can you give specific examples of how you are vilified and how your life is negatively impacted by the authorities while at the same time allowing those with the actual vicious dogs to roam?

Sorry, when people start to stereotype, even though they expect majority agreement about that stereotype, I have a hard time believing a lot of what they say. Especially when most of your stories are extremely vague and the one about the crazy vicious dogs by the playground...if that actually happened the way you described, you need to get a camera phone and start lawsuits against your police department.

DogGone 06-06-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martemchik (Post 5610866)
DogGone...can you give specific examples of how you are vilified and how your life is negatively impacted by the authorities while at the same time allowing those with the actual vicious dogs to roam?

Sorry, when people start to stereotype, even though they expect majority agreement about that stereotype, I have a hard time believing a lot of what they say. Especially when most of your stories are extremely vague and the one about the crazy vicious dogs by the playground...if that actually happened the way you described, you need to get a camera phone and start lawsuits against your police department.

Your unfounded personal attacks, are slanderous, dishonest, bigoted, hateful and ignorant.

My factual accounts are not stereotypes. What makes you think I haven't documented and/or taken legal actions? The problem with our government is systemic. It is very difficult for complaints against corrupt authorities to take hold. They often are legally exempt and/or have a culture of corruption (blue code of silence, etc.) that makes them untouchable (above the law). They often discriminate, falsify evidence/reports, scapegoat/frame, bully, etc. Whistleblowers like me often face reprisals.

Have documented authorities hypocritically flaunting the law.
Police, Law Enforcement, Prosecutors, Judges, Attorneys, Violate Ohio Front License Plate Law? - YouTube

I captured an another assault on video, yet again no charges filed.
Mexicans or otherwise Hispanic, Street Fight In Ohio 5-18-2014 - YouTube

Hotel captured on video discriminating against the disabled with a service dog.
Capri Hotel Discrimination Of Disabled with Service Dog - YouTube

BMV (Ohio state Highway Patrol) on video discriminating and obstructing justice.
BMV (Ohio Highway Patrol) Discriminates Against The Disabled - YouTube

I captured an another assault on video, yet again no charges filed.
Fight At Hotel 4-22-2014 - YouTube

Reported probable drug paraphernalia, but police didn't even respond.
Suspected drug paraphernalia - YouTube

Reported suspected former marijuana grow, police haven't responded
MOVI0004 - YouTube

Have police and other government authorities on record falsifying records, obstructing justice, etc...
Sharonville Police & City Council Falsifying Records - YouTube

Have documented police and other government authorities discriminating, obstructing justice, etc.
http://youtu.be/xhZLk1Z63nM

I captured and turned in what seemed to be a "pit bull" to authorities that seemingly had eluded authorities for quite some time.
(The pit bull had a bunch of bumps on its skin. I suspect that the dog might have been used as a bait dog in dog fighting. The bumps may have been teeth marks and infections from dogfighting.)
Video of a stray pit bull I found - YouTube

Several of my friends at the dog park witnessed the thugs training two pit bulls off leash to fight humans near the dog park, right next to a playground. My friends also witnessed me calling police, talking to police and that the police only gave a warning. If I recall correctly I e-mailed the police department and Park Department about the incident. There were other signs of gang activity in the area. IE spray painting/tagging seeming gang signs to park property.

Chip18 06-06-2014 08:25 PM

Well late to the party but is the fact that a lot of Pitt bulls (former owner) tend to be owned by clueless irresponsible morons in debate??

selzer 06-06-2014 08:56 PM

I love my dogs.