German Shepherd Kills Poodle During Topeka Parade. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default German Shepherd Kills Poodle During Topeka Parade.

German shepherd attacks, kills teacup poodle during Topeka parade | CJOnline.com
iLittleMiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

My 2 dogs are a German Shepherd and a Toy Poodle.
Tiny-Toy Poodle 9/25/2009-
CharlieB.Barkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The dog isn't aggressive but it did grab another dog by the head two weeks ago and shook him like crazy. He's not aggressive though, really.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

such a shame....stupid people on both sides....little dogs don't know they are little and I've seen many run up to big dogs....and there is a certain responsibility that goes with having a big dog - any big dog on a leash! One that has shown it will grab a small dog should be carefully and with preventative caution taken in public like this.....both sides show human error, it is a shame the poodle paid for it....

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I own Shepherds, a Leonberger, Pomeranians and a Pom/Chi Mix. My little dogs have the same rules as the big ones. I would never allow my Shepherds to rush a dog - I don't allow my little ones either. My newest Pom thinks its ok - it has been a **** of a time trying to curb it, but we continually work on it. He is leashed when out because he still can't be trusted. The owner admitted he had been "trying to control Toby all day"...um well he is 3 1/2 lbs, not sure how hard that is to control? And if that was a Rottweiler that was misbehaving, would you have brought him home before the parade?

As for the Rescue - it is ALWAYS a very bad idea to have rescue dogs walk in a big parade. There is just too much that can happen. Have an adoption fair/day/meet and greet - whatever - but don't put those dogs into an overwhelming situation like a parade and hope for the best.

I agree Wolfstraum, stupid people on both sides.
N Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ditto, dumb on both sides. I thought I read that the poodle lunged at the GSD. Still the GSD probably should not have been in the parade. Too much input and stress.

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
UAG1,UNN1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UAG1,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,NAJ,RN,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Human failure on both sides caused this. The German Shepherd should have been under better control knowing the history or maybe not even be in the parade with all the action on the sides. On the other hand I know a lot of people (not all) with small dogs don't train them because they are so small they figure they can just pick them up. I hope the GSD in the article gets another chance for training and they don't just give up and pts. Hindsight is always 20/20. I'm sure the person walking the GSD feels terrible that the other dog was killed.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Reading through the comments, smh
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

This is so sad to read. Although I agree it was a lapse on the owners' judgements (both the GSD for his history and the poodle for admittedly being 'hard to handle' that day), I'm sure both parties feel horrible and my heart goes out to Toby's family. I'm not a fan of small dogs, however, and have seen them charge larger dogs (little man syndrome, apparently) so the story told by Price makes some sense... but if this dog has history of attacking other dogs, the last place it should be taken is to a parade full of them. That being said, he definitely doesn't deserve to be euthanized.

Just because your dog is little, they should still know better than to rush at other dogs without having to be picked up. But if a large dogs has history and issues, more precautions should be taken when going into public. Common sense could have saved two lives.
alydbaby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
such a shame....stupid people on both sides.buck...little dogs don't know they are little and I've seen many run up to big dogs....and there is a certain responsibility that goes with having a big dog - any big dog on a leash! One that has shown it will grab a small dog should be carefully and with preventative caution taken in public like this.....both sides show human error, it is a shame the poodle paid for it....

Lee
This!!!! No freaking way should this have happened!!! That is a whole bucket full off bad pr for the GSD!!

Speaking for myself...I don't give a crap what a little dog does! I protect my dogs that pretty much means they are under control! The few times little dogs have gotten in there face..they help station and stared at the dog!!

This dog apparently had a history. If it was in the parade it should have either a competent handler or a muzzle!! The has a tendency to grab little dogs by the head!! Lets put him in a parade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A crap load of incompatible here!! Pretty much a text book example of why I don't recommend GSD!!!

Not that I have an "opinion one way or the other!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.