German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Current Dog Affairs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/current-dog-affairs/)
-   -   Young girl attacked by two GSD (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/current-dog-affairs/455346-young-girl-attacked-two-gsd.html)

lhczth 05-29-2014 06:38 PM

Young girl attacked by two GSD

:( Never good. Luckily there was a neighbor around.

Young girl attacked by Warren neighbor's German shepherds - Fox 2 News Headlines

HarleyTheGSD 05-29-2014 07:06 PM

Very sad. :( I wonder if this poor girl will have a fear of dogs after the incident. Hopefully someone will help her with that.

Msmaria 05-29-2014 07:38 PM

Very sad. I don't know why a four year old wasnt being watched by her mother. Thank god the neighbor was there. I'm surprised they let the dogs stay on their property. Just recently a friends dog in her own yard bit a boy that was bothering the dog through the fence. Small bite no stiches and they had him put his dog down.

Springbrz 05-29-2014 08:45 PM

I feel bad for the little girl and her mom. But I have a lot of questions. Why wasn't the mother watching a 4 year old better? Did the dogs get out of their yard? If not, what was the four year old doing in the neighbors fenced yard unattended?

Ultimately, we all know that the dogs will be blamed. Very sad.

Blitzkrieg1 05-29-2014 09:01 PM

Yes the dogs that attacked a 4 year old child will be blamed..is that an issue?

selzer 05-29-2014 09:41 PM

It may be a problem. The yard looked securely fenced. How did a four year old kid get beyond the fences into the dog's yard?

If your kid or a child your dogs know is suddenly attacked. If you are there walking the dog down the street, and it suddenly attacks a small child -- these things have to be considered serious black marks on a dog. But if someone comes onto your securely fenced property and is attacked by your dogs, I don't know.

What we are asking dogs to do is to be discriminating. To see a four year old as no threat, no intruder. And a lot of our dogs would never her a small child like that. Maybe we know this because they are raised around children, or because they have demonstrated good judgement around children.

Some people do not have children and they keep their dogs away from children, because they have no friends with children willing to help socialize their dogs to. Some people may make a conscious decision to just not have their dogs around kids. And if they make their yard secure and keep their dogs secure it shouldn't be a problem.

How did the kid get to the dogs, or the dogs get to the kid? If the gates are such that a four year old can open them, then the dog owners are at fault. If they are not, then, how did it happen? Could someone have picked the child up and put it over the fence? That sounds like a horrific thing, but some people do do horrific things to children.

Amazing that the kid didn't have more injuries really. If the dogs were all out attacking the child, I would expect the child to be in the hospital requiring plastic surgery or something. GSDs have the same or more bite strength than pits. It looks like a LOT of scratches. But we are only seeing some of the wounds there. The kid seemed to have nothing on the face, throat, etc. It looks like the kind of damage my girls could do with their nails more than their teeth.

How did the kid and the dogs connect? Until I understand that, I just don't want to say hang the dogs.

HarleyTheGSD 05-29-2014 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selzer (Post 5581434)
It may be a problem. The yard looked securely fenced. How did a four year old kid get beyond the fences into the dog's yard?

If your kid or a child your dogs know is suddenly attacked. If you are there walking the dog down the street, and it suddenly attacks a small child -- these things have to be considered serious black marks on a dog. But if someone comes onto your securely fenced property and is attacked by your dogs, I don't know.

What we are asking dogs to do is to be discriminating. To see a four year old as no threat, no intruder. And a lot of our dogs would never her a small child like that. Maybe we know this because they are raised around children, or because they have demonstrated good judgement around children.

Some people do not have children and they keep their dogs away from children, because they have no friends with children willing to help socialize their dogs to. Some people may make a conscious decision to just not have their dogs around kids. And if they make their yard secure and keep their dogs secure it shouldn't be a problem.

How did the kid get to the dogs, or the dogs get to the kid? If the gates are such that a four year old can open them, then the dog owners are at fault. If they are not, then, how did it happen? Could someone have picked the child up and put it over the fence? That sounds like a horrific thing, but some people do do horrific things to children.

Amazing that the kid didn't have more injuries really. If the dogs were all out attacking the child, I would expect the child to be in the hospital requiring plastic surgery or something. GSDs have the same or more bite strength than pits. It looks like a LOT of scratches. But we are only seeing some of the wounds there. The kid seemed to have nothing on the face, throat, etc. It looks like the kind of damage my girls could do with their nails more than their teeth.

How did the kid and the dogs connect? Until I understand that, I just don't want to say hang the dogs.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Springbrz 05-29-2014 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selzer (Post 5581434)

^ This

Exactly what I was thinking. It's a shame that no matter what the circumstances the dog/s are held to a standard that makes it pay the price for it's natural instinct. Even when everything is done to protect dog and human. The dog almost always pays the ultimate price.

We have grown children. We don't get many house guests and none have small children. My only way to socialize my GSD with children is to allow her to greet and be petted by children when we are out and about. But, that no way is the same as having children playing around or with her. So, would I want my GSD near children unsupervised...NO WAY. That's just one reason we have a 6 ft privacy fence that is locked with a padlock on the inside. If by some means a child or adult, for that matter, entered my property (behind my locked fence) uninvited and my dog attacked that person what do you think the outcome would be? In my community I can say for certain the city and courts would force me to PTS my dog. It has happened many times where I live. I don't think it's right in such circumstances to make only the dog accountable. That's just me.

And yes, I have been bitten by more than one dog in my life. Fortunately, never a full on attack.

Even when a dog is provoked into a bite or attack, the dog is always the one that is punished in some fashion. Labeled a biter; placed into some type of "management" program for the remainder of it's life; rehomed or most often and worse is euthanized.

Chip18 05-30-2014 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD (Post 5581466)
:thumbup::thumbup:

Same here!

Alice13 05-30-2014 02:52 AM

I would say the root cause of this whole thing is the mother's negligence. Since the dogs belong to someone she has somebody to blame. What if it had been strays? Who is she gonna blame? This girl had wandered off her house and entered a neighbour's yard on her own. There are so many other things that could have happened to her. And where the dogs are concerned, I agree with Selzer. It doesn't look like the dogs were going all out to attack her. I think my 6 month old pup could do more damage than that if given the chance.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App